Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my ride, the guy had just put new rubber on it.

Bridgestone Spitfire 11's

Now it seems that every bike "similar" to my model/year has the same brand tire...

They seem to be a popular tire. Cost wise, their is no comparrison to the Metzelers. But how do they stand up to ware & tear? They "feel" good, seem to hold the road fine (altho, rain groves and such require more attention on my part).

So my ?? is: Any body have any thoughts on these tires?

Should I start looking at replacing them now (only 5,000 miles on em)?

trek

·
Registered
198 Posts
If they still have good tread depth, I wouldn't replace them yet. Just be sure you know their limits.

Haven't heard too much about the Bridgestone brand on here. I do know that when I switched to Metzeler on our Spirit 1100 that it totally changed some of the characteristics of the ride.

The whole rain groove issue you mentioned completely disappeared. Tracks straighter, rides smoother, holds curves much better.

Just my .02 worth.

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Everything I have been told by my riding buddies ( who have years of experience with bikes ) is that the Bridge is a good tire. I was just talking about this last night with a friend of mine and he said he would take the bridge over the Metzer.

Maybe they are wrong, who knows, but I will probably go to Bridges or the Avon when I have to change.

Chris

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
sbrogden said:
I have Spitfires on my Yamaha Virago (about 4k miles on them) and love 'em. Haven't ridden on Metzlers and the Spitfires have given me no reason to consider spending that much money.
I resemble that remark. I've had the Spitfires on my Virago for a few years(not sure of mileage, would have to check) and haven't had any problems. I do remember checking the rubber compounds against several of the other major brands and found them to be comparable in quality and construction. It's been probably three years, so I don't recall all of the specifics, but they have served me well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Spitfire S11's

These are very good tires. They are made with a dual compound construction which means the center tread is of harder rubber for high mileage while the sides are of a softer compound for good grip in a turn.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Post from Chris. :-
"Everything I have been told by my riding buddies ( who have years of experience with bikes ) is that the Bridge is a good tire. I was just talking about this last night with a friend of mine and he said he would take the bridge over the Metzer.

Maybe they are wrong, who knows, but I will probably go to Bridges or the Avon when I have to change. "

Chris

------------------

The about quote from Chris interests me as I have a 2002 Shadow 750 ACE with Bridgestones as original.
Yesterday, I had both tires changed to Metzler 880s, and have only put about 70 miles on the new tires since new. However, I am no longer concerned about the imperfections etc in the pavement, as the new tires copy with them easily, and make the ride more enjoyable. At this stage, I feel that I did the right thing by changing to Metzlers. Will let you know if ever I have a reason think otherwise!

Harry.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
harryco said:
. I was just talking about this last night with a friend of mine and he said he would take the bridge over the Metzer.
conjures up an interesting vision....... :wink:

hey Joe just bought a used Honda Shadow.... the previous owner put some kind of tires called Metzeler's on it. I know the stock Bridgestone tires must be better because thats what she came with from the factory.
They only have about 200 miles on em. but since they are prob. junk i am going to take her over to the dealer and have new Bridgestones put on.

sorry, he must have stock in Bridgestone or somthing! :roll:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm not a tire expert, nor do I play one on TV, but I replaced the bridgestones on my first bike (98 750 ACE) with Metzeler 880's and found a world of difference. Much more control on rough roads.

On my 2nd bike (sabre 1100) I replaced the dunlops (lots of tread left) with 880's and again notice a huge improvement in handling.

If I were to buy another used bike, I'd immediately replace whatever tires were on the bike with 880's even if they were new.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'v got about 2500 miles on a set of spitfires on my 750 vulcan and they handle and ride great(compared to the stock tires).I think there very good tires,I'v never had any ME 880's so they may even be better but if they are they must be like riding on heavenly streets.I'm planning on getting some ME880's to try out on my Honda when the stock tires wear a little.Sorry for mentioning my Kawasaki,but I still need to feel the thrill a little----GO HONDA.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.