Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was riding home in the dark on the highway (two lanes in both directions with a median in between) last night. I used my brights most of the way ignoring the cages that were coming from the other direction.

Normally when I'm in my car on the highway I don't use my brights unless there are no other vehicles around.

But on my cycle, I've been of the mind that my safety is more important than annoying oncoming cages or for that matter ones on front of me. However, I did turn brights off when cages passed me until they gained a good bit of distance in front of me.

So, how does everyone else use their brights?

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Brights are always on in the daytime and on as much as possible at night.

Mike

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Even if the highway has a median, I do NOT use brights when oncoming traffic is around. I think it's an A-hole thing for them to do it to me, and the same thing if I do it to them.
If I think my brights are going to interfere with their vision, I won't use high beam.
I slow down when I have to use low beam.
Then get off the main road and use my high beams as much as possible!
I do use my high beam during day light, you aren't going to blind anyone during daylight.
Another peeve of mine is when an oncoming cage waits until they blind me before they switch to low beams.
Dan

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Use brights all the time during the day, from 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset. Then I do the same as when in my cage, low beams when there is oncoming traffic and brights when no traffic is oncoming.

I also hold bikes and cages to that same standard when in my cage at night. I have an old Ford 4x4 with 2 million candlepower Daylighters on the front of her. If a bike, or cage, comes at me with brights on, I flick my factory high beams once. If I am ignored, then I will flick the Daylighters. If still ignored I will start flashing the Daylighters until they either pass of turn of their highs. Generally, that works just fine.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I run low beam all the time BUT supplemented it with narrow beam 5" diameter off road lights on my highway bars. By using pointable narrow beams, you can pump the light out but point it so it is not in driver's eyes....best of both worlds. Standard (Cobra, etc) running lights might be an improvement but I suspect they cast a broader, unfocused light, some you can't point left/right and they may not improve visibility.....donno.

Also am running a selectable wig-wag circuit that alternately blinks running lights on high beam during the day (warning and passing) but is switched out at night - helps illuminate those deer and 1/2 ton elk lurking on the shoulder.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Hardly use them. In the fall, when deer like to shoot across the road, or just appear along the side of the road at night I'd be inclined to use them.

·
Registered
302 Posts
About the only time I use them is when an oncoming vehicle of any kind doesn't bother to dim theirs.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Use high beams ALWAYS during the day; and like many others use low beams when following cars or there is an oncoming car. It has always gotten on my last nerve when approaching cars don't switch to low beams...so I figure I can't complain if I don't follow the same standard.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I used my brights most of the way ignoring the cages that were coming from the other direction.
I guess you could do that, but now a days you don't know who is in the other car, and you could really p-ss them off.

Maybe they just had the worst day of there life. Remember that Michael Douglas Movie "Falling Down"

To answer your question though, I have only used my Brights one time.

90% of my riding is done @ night.

When I do ride during the day I use my bright and my light bar at the same time. My headlight has a comagination headlight modulator.

I have all PIAA Xtreme's in both my lightbar and headlight. I have been told my other riders my lights are very bright.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I'm not sure how blinding oncoming traffic helps your safety, but I use brights during the day and low beams at night.

If they aren't gonna see your low beams at night they aren't gonna see you at all.

My brights suck at night for some reason.

·
Registered
302 Posts
So, I was riding home in the dark on the highway (two lanes in both directions with a median in between) last night. I used my brights most of the way ignoring the cages that were coming from the other direction.

Normally when I'm in my car on the highway I don't use my brights unless there are no other vehicles around.

But on my cycle, I've been of the mind that my safety is more important than annoying oncoming cages or for that matter ones on front of me. However, I did turn brights off when cages passed me until they gained a good bit of distance in front of me.
I guess I shouldn't ask, but I notice that when you're on 4 wheels you're in your car, but when you're on 2 wheels, cars become cages and ignoring or annoying them is OK.

When you're in your car and an oncoming vehicle doesn't dim their brights, what's the first word that goes through your mind? I'll bet it's something like the one that goes through mine.:D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, thanks for all the feedback fellas. Sounds like the overwhelming opinion is to use brights during the day and only at night when there are no other vehicles around without regard to type. That's the rule I will follow going forward.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I almost always drive with my highs on. I live 32 miles from work in the country where there aren't any street lights, and I leave before the sun rises. I have seen many deer on the way to work and had one run out in front of me a couple of weeks ago. My low beams just don't give enough light to see well enough.

·
Registered
18,103 Posts
Ok, thanks for all the feedback fellas. Sounds like the overwhelming opinion is to use brights during the day and only at night when there are no other vehicles around without regard to type. That's the rule I will follow going forward.

GA Law requires you to dim to oncoming traffic...
Using high beams with oncoming traffic is not only illegal here, but Rude and UNsafe...
Ride Safe,
Dennis
My First sturgis Run= t-minus 27 days

·
Registered
417 Posts
One quick note, some states have laws regarding dimming your lights for on coming traffic. I have chatted with a couple of folks who have been ticketed for such...granted, officer John has to be in a bad mood to start...in talking to LEOs it appears to be a sign of an impaired or inattentive driver and give them a reason to stop and 'check' on you.

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
Brights daytime, rarely ever at night, the hi beam light is so bright it is a PITA , I need to put me a sticker over it or something.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
I concur with most who say, High beams Daylight, Low Beams at Nite with on coming traffic, best thing for nite time visibility with the low beams is using auxillary lights, really makes a difference and I run most of the nite rides with them on, that is where I have them hooked up to, two 50w lights make a helluva difference............

1 - 20 of 27 Posts