Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speed cameras

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.555249,-0.528072,3a,75y,336.94h,66.78t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s-DzXrqXNYP23Q5ihuH2rAw!2e0

These are some examples of our speed cameras..note the gantree, those square black bits light up with speed limits and there are hidden cameras keyed to that number called Variable speed cameras, in the oncoming lanes above the white truck there is a camera mounted on a pole, that is one of a pair that record your average speed over the distance between the two.. there are other types as well and I have to pass dozens of these on an average ride.

Here are two more on a road into one of our towns the yellow one is a visible speed camera usually fixed at 30mph and the other one is part of an average speed camera, on this stretch of road they are placed about every 100 yards.. if you speed through four of these at night you can lose your driving license.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.48979,-3.187315,3a,75y,180h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1szd4mAsGAzmpWwz12_xZfnA!2e0

There are three different speed cameras in this next view, the white lines on the road are used as speed markers.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.486672,-3.183994,3a,75y,180h,82.5t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sjEwd8uAlmNsUz8bAmoZwSw!2e0

John.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Thats crazy! Here in the states, they are slowly getting rid of them. Missouri for instance just passed a bill to do away with 300 (I think that number is correct) of them. I know that I have sped through quite a few of them, but have never recieved a ticket in the mail. It's a bad feeling when you see the camera flash.

Edit:
No wonder you guys have all those cameras. Everyone is driving on the wrong side of the road!

Joking.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No wonder you guys have all those cameras. Everyone is driving on the wrong side of the road!
I never really understood that.. Our first real roads were built by the Romans, then the Danes invaded us, and the Saxons (Germans) then the Normans (French) and every single one of them drive on the right.. Instead of changing our measurement of everything except miles to metric to make us fit in with Europe why didn't they simply make us drive on the right.

John.

·
Registered
11,698 Posts
So John, do they claim they are there for safety reasons or is it just revenue? Around where I live there are only stop light camera's that cause more accidents(rear enders) and they claim it's for our safety. Chicago has been installing speed camera's at a fairly rapid rate for the last couple of years and making millions of dollars from them.

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
John do you think it might have something to do with a stiff upper lip, or just plain stubbornness.

Jpr1968 petition the government too have the front plates removed. No plates no ID.

·
Premium Member
8,930 Posts
Reeeeeeeediculous! (yes I know.... but too many I's just sounds weird :))

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
Thats crazy! Here in the states, they are slowly getting rid of them. Missouri for instance just passed a bill to do away with 300 (I think that number is correct) of them. I know that I have sped through quite a few of them, but have never recieved a ticket in the mail. It's a bad feeling when you see the camera flash.

Edit:

Joking.
Just as then Governor Jan Brewer took office here in AZ she cancelled the contract with the Speed Camera Company the state had.

I got a Speed Camera Ticket about one month before and I knew the cameras were going to be cancelled.

So I sat on it and did nothing, even though the paperwork urged immediate payment.

i never took ANY action whatsoever except to monitor court records online. again i never took any action and gave no response to getting the ticket.

30 days later the ticket was automatically dismissed in court and showed as "Dismissed" in the record.

sure beats paying the $210 they wanted for doing 80 in a 65.:wink:

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So John, do they claim they are there for safety reasons or is it just revenue? Around where I live there are only stop light camera's that cause more accidents(rear enders) and they claim it's for our safety. Chicago has been installing speed camera's at a fairly rapid rate for the last couple of years and making millions of dollars from them.
Of course they claim they are there for safety reasons, and they can even quote figures about how driving 35mph will kill someone if you hit them but if you are driving at 30mph your vehicle will just bounce off them..

Watching out for cameras, keep glancing at your speedometer and the roadside speed signs instead of watching for people running out between cars and trucks pulling out of blind turnings has been proved by government to be the safest option, also travelling above the posted speed limit causes global warming and politicians to become corrupt.

John.

·
Registered
11,698 Posts
Of course they claim they are there for safety reasons, and they can even quote figures about how driving 35mph will kill someone if you hit them but if you are driving at 30mph your vehicle will just bounce off them..

Watching out for cameras, keep glancing at your speedometer and the roadside speed signs instead of watching for people running out between cars and trucks pulling out of blind turnings has been proved by government to be the safest option, also travelling above the posted speed limit causes global warming and politicians to become corrupt.

John.
1+++

·
Premium Member
8,930 Posts
You need you some James Bond plates which switch only when a speed camera is nearby..

Just program the plate to show the plate number of the guy down the road.. You know that guy...the guy always polishing his brand new reg car.. Even in the rain..

Yes... :twisted: ..That guy! ;)

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You need you some James Bond plates which switch only when a speed camera is nearby..

Just program the plate to show the plate number of the guy down the road.. You know that guy...the guy always polishing his brand new reg car.. Even in the rain..

Yes... :twisted: ..That guy! ;)
You really can buy rotating number plates.. but as the cameras take your photograph and that of your bike I would hate to think what would happen to you when they finally caught you..

I think that they would use numberplate recognition to locate your vehicle and plot it's routes with all the many speed cameras and simply have a motorcycle cop waiting to pull you the next time you passed one of your known routes.

John.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
we had a guy in Arizona that wore a Monkey mask and got around 70 speed camera tickets. It was on the News a lot and the guy was pretty much being rooted on my the citizens, most who opposed the cameras. People loved the guy lol.

The law at the time, clearly said that for the ticket to be valid you have to be able to identify the driver in the Picture, it was not enough to just know the Cars owner.

LOL

·
Premium Member
8,930 Posts
^^ ...Yup! I remember that ???Monkey-man ...pretty-much looked on as a hero for the common cause.. :lol:

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The law at the time, clearly said that for the ticket to be valid you have to be able to identify the driver in the Picture, it was not enough to just know the Cars owner.

LOL
We have two laws for that situation, in order to convict for speeding they have to identify the driver/rider $90 fine and three points..but..

The registered owner of the vehicle gets a NIP 'notice of intended prosecution' and on it you have to identify the driver/rider.. failure to do so $1,500 maximum fine.

We don't get justice in Britain, we get law.

John.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.