Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

to keep it short, I’ve included a video but the gear shifter on my 1984 Honda Shadow 700 is completely loose.

Before this issue occurred, I’ve noticed that while riding it was sometimes difficult to shift up to 2nd gear. The bike would get stuck in neutral no matter how many times I lifted the gear shifter.

I’ve taken off the gear shifter twice and put it back on twice, (just a 10mil bolt) however it does not stay up. Tighten the hell out of it but still no luck.

When the bike is started the gear shifter can be seen bouncing up and down as if it were attempting to go back into place.

Any help would be appreciated.

Btw the bike is stuck in neutral

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I’m totally novice towards motorcycles and mechanically inept as well. Could you explain this diagram and how I should view it in Laymen’s terms?

·
Registered
17,438 Posts
14 is your shift lever (it is shown short)
17 is the return spring which you can feel when you lift the shifter or press down...
5 is the shifting drum which wears and I suspect also......

Good Luck,
Dennis

I hafta "Shift with Meaning, when shifting to second on my Baby, lest it`ll jump outta gear and into N

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,207 Posts
When you took off the shift lever were there any splines on the shaft and inside the loop part of the lever?
Deep grooves that match with the lever and shaft so it would stay in place even before you put the bolt in?
If you take the lever back off can you spin the end of the shaft just a easy with your fingers?

Attachments

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
1,044 Posts
That is the first thing to check. Is the shifter spinning on the shaft, or is the whole shaft moving around freely? The end of that shaft, number 11, interfaces with the shaft inside, number 13 (which is the whole assembly with that number 14 on the end of it). If you hold out three fingers on each of your hands, and stick them into each other, like ‘E3’, so they interlock, that’s how the shafts move up and down. As you can also see, if either hand moves away or toward you just a little bit, the gears don’t interlock anymore, or skip a tooth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate all of you for your time and patience. Every reply went completely over my head so I decided to bring it to a mechanic. After days of waiting, I was told that the bike needs a new engine….
But the bike ran when I dropped it off, it turned over, rev and sounded great but just would not shift gears.
A new engine is $500, and that’s just for the part, not labor.
Am I getting screwed?
I like the bike, I added genuine gator skin seats to it so I’m willing to pay the money.
Nothing is making sense.
I will keep you all updated.
Thank you.

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,885 Posts
I suggest a maual and a friend to work on it with you. You should be able to fix it. The mechanic wants the easy way for a quick buck. Though it could cost more than the $500. plus labor for labor and parts for HIM to fix the transmission.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts