Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,my bike "shadow 750" was running fine and while it was running my son unscrewed the oil dipstick and when he did this it blew me dipstick out and shut the engine down. It bent me dipstick and chopped some of it off. I have tried a magnet but nothing. But now it will not even turn over now. It just makes a quick clunking sound. It's like power gets to the starter and just clunks,it will not even turn over.

· Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
20,336 Posts
BAD NEWS !
You need to take off the right side engine cover and see what damage there is to the gear teeth.

· Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
1,427 Posts
Not the first time this issue has popped up on this site. Not sure where folks get the idea to check their engine oil while the engine is running. Checking the engine oil while the engine is running is a big no no! (Big no no on any engine!)

Just follow the instructions stated in the owner's manual...

Good luck Qball1111! That engine hopefully will run fine once you clear out the lodged piece of dip stick.

· Registered
250 Posts
If I read correctly, he said the son unscrewed the dipstick and it blew out. I did something way stupid after riding nearly 40 years, I put mine back IN while running. It blew out, seemed like compression mostly, bounced off my hand and then bounced off the garage door. I just knew I had killed my motorcycle and was calling me every cuss word I could think of. Picked the stick up, slightly bent on the end. Straightened it out on my bench and put it back in. That was about 1500 miles ago.

· Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
20,336 Posts
You could get away with it on a car since the dipstick usually goes down clear of any rotating parts.
But not a good idea with ol spashing all over you don't know the actual level anyway.

Reactions: "Captain D"

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BAD NEWS !
You need to take off the right side engine cover and see what damage there is to the gear teeth.
I have an update I took the right side cover off the tooth was jammed in between the two gears I pride and pride it finally came loose didn't bother the teeth the motorcycle is fine thank you guys

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I said that the motorcycle was fine but now I have another question, the spinning wheel that is in front of the smaller gear in the crankcase what happens if I were to take it off because there are still a little piece stuck right in between the teeth.

· Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
7,141 Posts
Not sure which gear you are referring too. See if this recent thread helps.

• Helpful

· Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
20,336 Posts
Instead of taking the large clutch gear and all that off, can you get to the teeth well enough to pick it out with a small tool?
Look all around for bent teeth also that will cause a noise. A little dent is not bad but you might hear somethng.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not the first time this issue has popped up on this site. Not sure where folks get the idea to check their engine oil while the engine is running. Checking the engine oil while the engine is running is a big no no! (Big no no on any engine!)

Just follow the instructions stated in the owner's manual...

Good luck Qball1111! That engine hopefully will run fine once you clear out the lodged piece of dip stick.
Yeah I have since gotten the lodged dip stick out and to my surprise there aren't any gear teeth hurt. Now my problem is timing, I guess that when I got the piece out of it I rotated the gear and now it's turning over good but is backfiring bad. What can I do?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just need to know how to set the timing up now IwilltakeanotherpictureofthesmallergearwheelthatIhavebeentalkingabout. .
I guess that is an RC44 750 from a chain drive ACE or Spirit and you got very lucky and just need the Ignition Pulse Generator Rotor.
I took the rotor off
I guess that is an RC44 750 from a chain drive ACE or Spirit and you got very lucky and just need the Ignition Pulse Generator Rotor.
I have the rotor but had to take it off to get the pieces of dipstick out. My question is, now that I have the metal out what position do I put the rotor back on? Do I find top dead center with the right back or which one? And when it gets to top dead center how do I place my rotor back onto the engine?

· Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
4,969 Posts
It's a VT750C SHAFT DRIVE
I eventually clued into that based on the crank gear, so I posted the correct service manual page above.
You got very lucky that it didn't take out the gear on the clutch hub as those are easily damaged on the RC50 engine (shaft drive) and quite expensive to replace.

· Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,938 Posts
I have an update I took the right side cover off the tooth was jammed in between the two gears I pride and pride it finally came loose didn't bother the teeth the motorcycle is fine thank you guys
WHEW ! ! !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts