Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't worked much with brass before so I thought I might ask. I tried a screw extractor but it seemed to tear through it initially and I stopped.

Gas Auto part Machine Metal Bullet

Any help appreciated ! Thanks, I love this forum.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brass does that sort of thing if the screw driver is not just right.
Since you will be replacing it anyway.
I'd hit the small screw extractor in the drill as the last resort, but first I'd try my little needle nose vise grips on the meaty part of the jet, they usually win.

View attachment 306300
thanks @CSRoad I'll try to scrounge a pair of those, I've only got godzilla sized vice grips and pocket sized but no needlenose

· Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,477 Posts
Drill will probably grab and snap thus finesse is key. The VG grip plier used as a plier (no lock) should work. Brass is brittle so again finesse is needed.

· Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
2,192 Posts
Brass does that sort of thing if the screw driver is not just right.
Since you will be replacing it anyway.
I'd hit the small screw extractor in the drill as the last resort, but first I'd try my little needle nose vise grips on the meaty part of the jet, they usually win.

View attachment 306300
I love these fish eyed vice grips! :p

· Registered
3,273 Posts
thanks @CSRoad I'll try to scrounge a pair of those, I've only got godzilla sized vice grips and pocket sized but no needlenose
you need Vampliers, probably the small size, the tips are concave for gripping screw heads

Edit: Dang, they've added a bunch of different styles since I got mine:

I'm thinking these 5" mini pliers: https://www.amazon.com/VAMPLIERS-ex...ical-promotions/dp/B07BBFVXZR?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Or the 7" long nose may be better. https://www.amazon.com/VamPLIERS-Sp...ripped-Corroded/dp/B01N24RSFM?ref_=ast_sto_dp

· Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
20,298 Posts
Maybe a bit of penetrant oil or WD 40 and tap it a few times on the end with a small hammer to shock the threads.
These type extractors work very well, and maybe you can make a small one out of a nail if you have a grinder. Sharp corners are the key.

Reactions: chucke and h13man

· Registered
5 Posts
Just be cautious if your left and drill and extract it. I broke the upper threads that dont have support in mine. I was able to still drop the new jet in and thread it with the half that didnt break. I put JB fuel tank weld around it and its held for over 3k miles. Last resort kinda thing as the dual carbs on mine are expsensive/hard to come by.

· Registered
51 Posts
Get a pin point mini torch and heat the metal the jet screws into.

· Registered
3,273 Posts
A hair dryer should get it hot enough without risking melting it.

The regular heat guns may get it too hot, I use one to light the paper & kindling in my fireplace insert. gets a hot air draft going and lights it.

· Registered
3,273 Posts
Those Vampliers are what I used to get the stripped head JIS screws out. They'd be perfect for gripping the brass and unscrewing it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts