Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I am new here and have only posted a few times,
My Older Brother passed away very recently and left his 3 Bikes to me.
a 2011 Harley (which is conveniently lost) according to his Girlfriend..
a 2008 Suzuki Boulevard, and his 1988 Shadow 600.
I rode a lot with him and love the little 600, I first though it was a 90..
which I posted by error.
Does anybody have the Paint code for the Beautiful Blue paint. it has a couple Flasher dings in the tank but I want to fix/paint it..
also anybody suggest somebody that could do the paint work here.
I'd rather trust someone with a connection to these great bikes.
Larry

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Sorry to hear about your brother. Also about the missing Harley.
enjoy your new to you bikes and ride with good memories of your brother.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Hi, and welcome, sorry about the loss of your brother.
But I have to ask, how in the hell does anyone "conveniently lose a Harley"...???

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
Hi, and welcome, sorry about the loss of your brother.
But I have to ask, how in the hell does anyone "conveniently lose a Harley"...???
Sorry for your loss. From my personal experience, when someone passes, people come out of the woodwork to get theirs. Very sad.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Welcome to the forum & hopefully "Northern Iowa" means you can meet up with our MN group sometime. FYI - if you want to START an MN group, you're more than welcome! We are very unorganized! :D

Yes, I seriously doubt the HD is honestly "misplaced" but I am guessing you're already on it...

Are you considering reconditioning the tank & repainting? It's likely a double-walled tank, so knocking out the dents might be more complicated than a typical door-ding removal process. They may need to disassemble the tank. If it's just scratches & scuffs, then disregard...

If this will require splitting the tank, I would HIGHLY recommend Gas Tank Renu for an inside & out reconditioning. There aren't a lot of them - Knoxville, IA and Shakopee, MN are your best locations - but they will coat the inside of the tank to prevent rust, then refinish the outside however you would like. This becomes very important if there is existing rust or if you will be parking the bike for extended periods of time. It's not cheap & it's not quick, but it's worth it.

For my '61 Galaxie (20-gallon tank), I think I spent about $300 for the reconditioning, standard flat-black exterior paint, etc. Custom paint would be extra, but if you're supplying the factory single-color paint, it would probably be pretty similar.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
Sorry about your loss.

if the dings in the tank are really small and you are going to repaint the tank anyway
then i would think you could use some sort of body filler on the dings.

I think they use filler to some degree on custom built tanks so why not on a small ding...

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi all I am new here and have only posted a few times,
My Older Brother passed away very recently and left his 3 Bikes to me.
a 2011 Harley (which is conveniently lost) according to his Girlfriend..
Larry
Sorry for your loss Larry. Did she supposedly lose the title as well? If you have the paperwork, I would report it lost or stolen to your police. You can also see if someone else recorded the title. Any chance it was repossessed?

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
Like the guys said Larry Sorry for your loss. and Welcome Aboard. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah the missing Harley is suspicious, It is funny she said she THINKS he sold it to pay bills, He had insurance and my Brother didn't sell anything! You would think he would have sold the older Bikes first, the Suzuki Blvd 2008 is still Blue Booking for close to 4-5K
I would probably just Fill the dings in the tank. I wouldn't replace the Shadow Sticker either. I'd rather put the Chrome Shadow emblems on it.
I certainly love the sound of the Honda better than the Suzie-Q... Even tho he had custom Seat and Saddlebags, tank Strap, and it is in MINT shape, I like the Shadow better.
One can of the Spray Paint would be enough to do the tank (you would think)
But I was expecting to have it cost 150 or so to paint the tank if I prepped it and delivered. I actually paint pretty well with a Spray paint if it is a decent paint that is.
We own a Craft shop and I re-purpose things all the time.
The tank is clean, he always drained it when storing, (except the carbs) but he had the dealer fix all issues, $1000.00 of work Carbs, tires, tune etc..
I do have a Kreem inside tank coating, I have even kicked the idea of a larger "Custom" Tank, She is so streamlined and beautiful. My personal favorite of the Shadows, He told me after the first 1 or 2 years Honda was forced into making changes to the Shadow VLX by Harley Davidson???? anybody hear of that?
Thank you all for the warm welcome, It feels great.. He was a great guy, Best Man at my wedding (I wish he would have kicked my ass instead!) but that's another story...
He also left me his entire Firearms collection, and Custom 16 hole Gun Cabinet..
Each and every post means a lot to me from you....
Cheers,
Larry Duane

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sorry for your loss Larry but so glad you have a few things to remember your brother by. This summer while riding that'll mean the world to you as memories come back again and again....

If I had both bikes and the gun collection already cleared and at home I'd dig deeper into the missing Harley. Should be records to trace everything about that bike pretty easy to be traced. If it was sold or traded my brothers name had better not have been signed after his passing away.
Take care and we wish you well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes Title and everything gone, My first suspicion was her Son, he has been a liar, cheat and SKUSE ME A-hole all his life. He also knows you can part out a new Harley for about as much (if not more) than a new Bike...
I also have to inventory His Extensive Gun Collection, All of them were expensive when bought, the new ones are MINT and the Antique Winchesters and Marlins are a mint themselves, Orig. 1800's Colt Pistol, Early Rugers, S&W's
BUT I cant keep them here, Kids.....
Also My Avatar of the Grizzly, I took myself. I was Hiking and taking Wildlife Pics
in the Colorado Rocky Mountains with my good Friend Tom... I don't EVER want to get that close to one again!
I started at a quick pace the other way, he said " You cant out run him if he wants you"! I yelled over my Shoulder "I don't have to out run him, JUST YOU"! LOL
We had lots of fun with that later over Beers.... True Story...
Lucky it was a Long Telephoto lens on my Nikon... Still gives me shivers..

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Well Larry...condolences over the passing of your brother, and sorry that it seems to bring out the 'dark side' in some folks in your life.

Good luck with the other bikes and the painting and all that...post a few pics when you get a chance. We love picks and it will give us a little peek at what your brother rode around on.

Gun pics are always welcome too. Hope that 'inventory' works out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Larry, sounds like you have a wonderful collection that a loving brother left behind for you. At the price of one rifle go out and buy you a nice gun safe where things can be kept at home even with kids around....
Take the time as they grow to teach them gun safety so they can have these treasures to remember you by later on.
I have 2 sons who have learned how to use all sorts of weapons, the way things are going down hill when they're our age they'd better be ready to protect themselves and their family.
I have 4 guns safes now and I'm the only one at home who can enter them. Numbers are recorded and placed in the safety box at the bank if I pass and my wife wants in them.
Some of the stuff I have in there collected over 42 years she'd probably dig me up and kick my azz.:lol:

If you have the collection you've mentioned to he-- with that Harley.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your loss...it's never easy. i hope the missing Harley situation comes to light.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't know how this statement will go over, but out of the 3 Bikes Vern left me, I would have been heartbroken if the Shadow would have disappeared.
The question of reposessed was brought up but my Bro was the type that IF HE DIDN'T Have CASH He didn't buy it. He worked the same job for 40 years, and was hurt when a piece of equipment had a safety shield on it, and it cost him 4 fingers. The company bought him a new house for a quick settlement, He then bought a vacant lot next to him, and rented it. He was now about $1300.00 ahead each month.
Then he and his Girlfriend Built a house with about 20 years of CASH Savings between them and he then Rented his other house too! So he had close to 2K coming in before his regular pay... He wasn't hurting for $.... He never did get re-married. but LET ME ASK A QUESTION, Is it Me or does it seem like Married Men are always Broke, and Single guys seem to always have Money.. That is if they aren't lazy and work...
When I get everything settled I'll post a couple pics of the guns...
I just found out from his Girlfriend the Shadow wasn't running this year with carb issues.. any good sited for carb work. He used to bring his auto carb stuff to me..
Have you heard of Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers?... We were Klink and Klunk the Rod Knock Brothers...... LOL
HAVE A GLORIOUS DAY!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts