Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1985 Honda Shadow 500 (restored by previous owner)
Some context for my troubles:
Last weekend I was a ding dong and drained my battery while out and about. I called BCAA (AAA) to jump my bike, which they did. However, several things happened: they used small wrenches in the jumper cable clips to have a smaller connection point for my bike battery, but the tech didn’t have very good control over the wrenches and they sparked several times, both off of each other and (possibly) off of my bike/battery (not 100% sure as I was standing on the other side of my bike). Was still able to get the bike started and running despite the fireworks, and the tech went on his merry way. Not too long after I noticed smoke coming out from under my seat. Was worried a spark had gotten into the seat filler and was smouldering. Wetted some paper towel and was patting the seat with them when the bike died, not sure why it died, it had been idling for maybe 10 min when it stopped suddenly. Jumped again about an hour and a half later, no drama with the jump this time, but smoke started again (much less than before), rode the 10 min to get her home and tucked away (did not see smoke anymore when I got home). Finally had a chance to pull the seat off yesterday and this is what I found:
Hood Food Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

Motor vehicle Automotive design Wood Auto part Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Tread Bumper
Gas Auto part Metal Composite material Engineering
Seems pretty obvious this was the source of the smoke (seat was fine, no signs of burning anywhere else in the harness). Some quick digging indicates this is the electrical connector between the regulator/rectifier and the alternator. I had the battery on an optimizer over night before taking the seat off, optimizer indicated battery was fine. I also was able to get the motorcycle started and idling while I had the seat off, no smoke but the damaged connector did feel warmer than the undamaged connector next to it. Only ran the bike 2-3 min, didn’t want to risk anything frying.

Now that you’ve made it this far, here’s the actual question: given the context of what set this all off (assuming the jump start caused this), is this going to be as simple as stripping back the wires and replacing the connector? What are the odds that the r/r or alternator are damaged as well? Did the bike die while idling because the battery wasn’t being charged back up or was it because of damage to one of the mentioned parts?
I know there’s ways to test the r/r and alternator, but I don’t have the right tools on hand. Trying to get a sense of whether I’ll need to call in back up to troubleshoot this or if my journey is as simple as rewiring the connector. TIA!

· Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
20,304 Posts
EASY fix.
That is the famous 3 yellow wire connector that overheats and melts the connector.
Most of us cut it off and splice it solid to have the best connections.
But if you have a meter you can test the stater while the wires are exposed to be sure of it's condition.
When you get it repaired tests the voltages below.
I would change the battery also since it went through a lot of trauma.

Reactions: Schmohawk007
1 - 2 of 2 Posts