Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased the Aero I knew it would belong to my daughter in a year or so. Now I'm lusting after a Busa. There are some fairly good deals out there for '06's now that it has been dethroned by the ZX-14 and the promised response from Suzuki seems to have been delayed.
I just love the looks of the Busa and I'm amazed by the aftermarket accessories available. I know an FJR or Concours would be more practical but I'm just dripping for a Busa!
Do any of you have any direct experience with this bike?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Moonshadow said:
When I purchased the Aero I knew it would belong to my daughter in a year or so. Now I'm lusting after a Busa. There are some fairly good deals out there for '06's now that it has been dethroned by the ZX-14 and the promised response from Suzuki seems to have been delayed.
I just love the looks of the Busa and I'm amazed by the aftermarket accessories available. I know an FJR or Concours would be more practical but I'm just dripping for a Busa!
Moonshadow,

Well....I thought my Shadow and I were going be sucked through the intake of a Hayabusa when it passed me!! Does that count?

Those things ought to be outlawed! Or maybe they could be allowed to operate IF.....they put a governor on them! :)

They are awesome, though I've never rode one, I know they are at the zenith of high performance.

John

PS. Make sure your life and health insurance premiums are paid up to date if you're not used to riding machines like that. They ain't your fathers motorcycles for sure!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL! Thanks for the response. Oh, by the way I do live right near Bristol MT. Although currently I'm spending winters in SC. I'm still laughing..

·
Registered
818 Posts
Olivereaman said:
Those things ought to be outlawed! Or maybe they could be allowed to operate IF.....they put a governor on them!
I think it actually does have a governor - that limits it in the 180-190 mph range... Safety first! :)

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I have no direct experience with the Hayabusa ... except for a conversation over a beer at an airport bar with a guy who claimed to own one. If you really want a Busa, Moonshadow, then I hope you get one and enjoy the heck out of it.

But you got me curious about this "ZX-14" so I Googled it. From Kawasaki's press release:

KAWASAKI NINJA ZX-14 COMBINES THE BEST OF EVERYTHING TO DELIVER SERIOUS MOTORCYCLISTS THAT ELUSIVE "ULTIMATE" RIDE

That's just what the company has done with the Ninja ZX-14, a 1352cc motorcycle that is its most powerful ever, and succeeds in setting the performance standards for others to follow.

I'm in a philosophical mood this AM ... I'm trying to avoid doing real work. So I got to thinking ... is there a point beyond which the incremental improvements on these sport bikes are simply beyond human ability to exercise them? I mean for normal mortals like us ... not supersport champions?

I'm serious ... the Hayabusa and this new ZX-14 are capable of going far faster than any of us can legally go, and probably should go. And they're capable of handling far beyond the abilities of ordinary riders like me. So beyond a point, what is the purpose of this? Yeah, I understand the value to Suzuki or Kawasaki for marketing purposes. But for the owner, is it really about anything more than pride and ego at this point?

Please don't take offense, Moonshadow. I lust after a Goldwing about as much as you lust after a Hayabusa. That bike has more ridiculous "creature comforts" than any bike should be allowed to have. I understand the power of appeal. I'm just asking a high-level question about what's behind this sport bike thing.

·
Registered
1994 Honda Shadow VT1100C. 1993 Honda VF750C Magna.
1,379 Posts
Well, at least one of the bikes was a nice bright yellow so it would be easily visible!

Other than that, words fail me!

Collector

·
Registered
949 Posts
It wouldn't be so bad if they were in a controlled environment.
The first part,on the runway, was cool, When they went out on the road popping a wheelie in 4th gear....SUICIDE

There must have been a freakin whirlpool in the gas tank as it sucked the thing dry.

·
Registered
549 Posts
whether or not you get hurt on a busa will depend on your discipline. the bike is most definitely capable or being ridden beyond most of our skill levels. but your ability to only ride it within the envelope of YOUR skill level is what will keep you from going down.

my buddy's dad (also consider him a bud) used to own one, but he sold it because he knew he'd be pushing the envelope and get himself killed. he's a retired cop (many years spent as a moto cop) who's been riding for decades. he currently owns 5 bikes. he knows how to ride.

i was considering a busa when i bought my Z and he tried hard to talk me out of it.

the only reason i didn't go with a busa was the cost of insurance. i would suggest calling your insurance to get a quote before you buy one. i don't remember the numbers now, but i got a rediculous quote.

i wish you luck with whatever you decide to get.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I always thought the intention of bikes like the zx14 and the busa was not to sell A lot of them, but for the name rcognition.

Hey, ia have a kawi ninja, they make the zx14 kinda thing. Neither of those bikes would work for me, I am a slow,look at the scenery kinda guy, but thats my riding, evertone rides their own ride

·
Registered
460 Posts
INSANE!! I don't know if i saw it right, but the digital (speedo?) display at one point was at 250ish. I guy I know has an 04 or 05 he talks all the time about taking it up to 180, and it's stock. He wants to hook up and ride this season, I told him my SS750 couldn't keep pace.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Jayhawk said:
Jayhawk,

More than a few people thought I was psychotic when I was young guy, maybe it was just that we didn't have access to these types of apparatus that's available today, but in my farthest deviation from sanity, I couldn't imagine riding like that. I have to believe that's some kind of computer generated file...not actual events. Maybe the wheel coming down at 135 isn't over the line..but to lift it again at 180.....even for a split second....that's over the line!

The more incredible thing, in my opinion was the acceleration to 220 was about the same as getting 120. Then it flattened right off. I wonder if it had the gearing and was left to run...just where would it top out?

My father made me promise him before he died that wouldn't go over a 100 while I was on the ground. He must of had visions like that in his head.

John

·
Registered
156 Posts
rollus1 said:
INSANE!! I don't know if i saw it right, but the digital (speedo?) display at one point was at 250ish. I guy I know has an 04 or 05 he talks all the time about taking it up to 180, and it's stock. He wants to hook up and ride this season, I told him my SS750 couldn't keep pace.
That was kilometers/hr.
1 kilometers = 0.621371192 miles
I saw 285k/hr which equals around 176 mph.
But the busa was doing much more. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
THANKS FOR THE INSIGHTS:

LIFE/HEALTH INS.?- "Paid up."
PRIDE/EGO?- "Guilty as charged."
KEEP THE SHADOW?- Of course, I got it for my daughter to begin with."
VIDEO?- "Loved it!!!!"
DISCIPLINE?- "Good point. At this age it's one thing that I have plenty of.
Besides I meditate everyday and always while riding!"
TURBO?- "Not for the first year at least. No power commander or nitrus
either. Stock should be sufficient."
BURT MUNRO?- "Help me out here."
CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENT?- "The only place I would be tempted to
experiment."
INS. COST?- "Currently checking into it."
COMPENSATION?- "For sure. But my therapist would label it, 'mourning
the loss of my youth'."

Thoroughly enjoying all of your responses!!!
Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts