Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a litle help with a bike I am looking at.
It is a Shadow VLX 600C, 1999
I am told it has been sitting for almost a year, it looks good and runs but it bogs down when you give it gas, I assume it is dirty carbs.
He is asking $2500.00, I plan to offer $2000.00, what would be an approx to overhaul the carbs?
I will also need new tires as these should be orig, only 4300 miles.
Is there anything else I should be wary of??
Thanks for any help
Dennis

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
the other part that goes bad if it has sit for a year is the battery.

if it hasnt been charged on a regular basis it prob. needs to be replaced.

a good AGM battery can cost upwards of $100. in my opinion the AGM is the only way to go.
droy

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
BTW, 2,500 for a 99 is a very good deal if it's in great shape other than the dirty fuel/oil. In these parts that would be a 3,500 to 4,000 bike.

Not a bad idea to chage all the fluids. Sitting for a year they could have started to seperate and scum over due to condensation.

·
Registered
324 Posts
rickbb said:
BTW, 2,500 for a 99 is a very good deal if it's in great shape other than the dirty fuel/oil. In these parts that would be a 3,500 to 4,000 bike.

Not a bad idea to chage all the fluids. Sitting for a year they could have started to seperate and scum over due to condensation.
That much for a '99!!

The described bike should go for 'round $1500 not know for sure what's wrong.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Dennis,

The Kelly Blue Book (www.kbb.com) value for a 1999 VT600C (not deluxe) is $3005 (retail) and $2035 (trade-in), here in the Northern Virginia area.

You will have to figure ~$300 for new tires and ~$100 for a new battery. Draining the tank and carb bowls and then putting in fresh gas with some Seafoam may take care of the problem with the bike bogging down. If not, probably another ~$200 (just a guess) to have a dealer pull and clean the carbs.

Good luck,
Jim
2001 Spirit 1100

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.