Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone removed the EVAP canister and emission controls on a Shadow 600 deluxe. I am changing a lot on the bike, right now I am putting on a different tank and I would like to get rid of the mess of hoses that goes along with the emissions controls. Looking for any input as to how to do it, what hoses to plug etc. and how it affects the bikes performance.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
The evap canister is nothing more than a holding tank for fumes, the air that goes to the tank runs thru it and when it's shut off any fumes that are emitted by the hot gas is captured in the activated charcoal and when the bike is running again the fumes are sucked into the engine, removing it won't cause problems, just make sure that the air supply to the tank has a clean air placement, usually it's is the air cleaner where it's mounted, on the inside of the filter, there may be a fitting there already for the non calf bikes.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
It's also a federal offense to remove it.

Hide it if you like somehow creatively, but don't take it off. It's not hurting your performance at all and the feds really frown on you taking it off.

--Justin

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Have you ever read the tag on a mattress? It says that it can be removed by the owner, but not removed prior to sale and delivery to its final owner.

The emissions canister is not to be removed, ever, by anyone. It makes the bike fail inspection and its removal is punishable by fines and/or imprisonment. (California doesn't pussyfoot around when it comes to emissions)

Not being a jerk here, just saying you should leave it attached. Especially since there is nothing to gain by its removal.

--Justin

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses.

I am aware that removing this is a federal offense. However I have never has to have any sort of inspection on any bike I have owned so I dont see how it would ever be caught.

I am also aware that the removal of the controls will have no impact on performance. I mainly just want to do it for looks to get rid of all the hoses. I have ditched the factory air box and installed K&N style filters directly to carb intake. Which leads me to my next question... SHADOW 1100T stated that if you remove the canister you must route clean air to the tank through the air box. How would this be done without the air box?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
My 84 VT700c originally came from Irvine CA. and has the charcoal canister on it under the radiator, I actually don't mind it and think that it ads to the mystery of the motorcycle, its this thing bolted to the bike no one knows what it is but other bikers.

I like the relatively clear air we have here in Portland and remember what the L.A. air looked like back in the 70s, sorry not touching this one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts