Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sdbrit68 posted this in the general section and I thought how useful it would be if it were California only related eateries. Being as, that's where most of us do our riding.
For me it is more fun to stop at a unique cafe. If the food is good, that's a bonus!
Alice's restaurant is a fantastic place to stop, rest, eat or just walk across the street and grab a bottle of your favorite beverage from the quickie type store.
Located in Woodside, CA at the junction of Woodside Rd/CA 84 and Skyline Blvd/CA 35

A place I would like to try is; "Caspers" located in Oakland. Anyone ever hear of it or been there?

·
Registered
943 Posts
A place I like, didn't know it was a chain until recently.......

Texas Pit Barbacue......2 locations I know of, but damn good food

G

·
0 Posts
I've visited this place once, and wanted to go back again.... Their tri-tip, is yummy... But I don't think they open before noon. so don't arrrive early.

La Grange Saloon and Grill.

http://lagrangesaloon.com/

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
take the levy road ride to rio vista and try Fosters Bighorn...
a uniquely guy place with animal trophies on all the walls, AND a pleasant ride on hwy 16 too boot...what can be better? 8)

then there's the sqeeze in, but I think it finally closed...

hwy 16 ride to el dorado and go to Poor Reds for good bbq...yes, its still open. :D

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GrymLocke said:
a uniquely guy place with animal trophies on all the walls, AND a pleasant ride on hwy 16 too boot...what can be better? 8)

hwy 16 ride to el dorado and go to Poor Reds for good bbq...yes, its still open. :D
Thanx GrymLocke, I ride that road a lot and have seen lots of bikes outside, but never went in.
They even have a web page;
http://www.fostersbighorn.com/

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
ashadowrider said:
GrymLocke said:

Thanx GrymLocke, I ride that road a lot and have seen lots of bikes outside, but never went in.
They even have a web page;
http://www.fostersbighorn.com/
maybe I come with you, so you don't get lost? 8)

·
Registered
92 Posts
The best breakfast in California is at Dotties True Blue Cafe. It's on Jones Street in the tenderloin between O'Farrell and Geary. Bad neighborhood, great food, always a wait, but if your not antisocial, you're sure to meet some nice folks. Not necessarily the wino's on the sidewalk, but the people in line are pretty nice.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
ashadowrider said:
sdbrit68 posted this in the general section and I thought how useful it would be if it were California only related eateries. Being as, that's where most of us do our riding.
For me it is more fun to stop at a unique cafe. If the food is good, that's a bonus!
Alice's restaurant is a fantastic place to stop, rest, eat or just walk across the street and grab a bottle of your favorite beverage from the quickie type store.
Located in Woodside, CA at the junction of Woodside Rd/CA 84 and Skyline Blvd/CA 35

A place I would like to try is; "Caspers" located in Oakland. Anyone ever hear of it or been there?
Casper's, used eat there all the time when I lived/worked in Oakland, it used to be on Broadway just before College Ave. Think it's still there, they do make a great Hot Dog.

·
Registered
270 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GrymLocke said:
While we are on the Sacramento levee subject, at the opposite end of the ride from Rio Vista, I found a well hidden Mexican restaurant located on the corner of Pleasant Grove Blvd and Howsley Rd.
The prices are good, the food is good, and the only one's that know about this place are the local farmers and me. :lol:
They are closed on sunday's

below is a link for a google map to the Pleasant Grove Restaurant.
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=t&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLR,GGLR:2005-39,GGLR:en&q=pleasant+grove,+CA

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
ashadowrider said:
GrymLocke said:
While we are on the Sacramento levee subject, at the opposite end of the ride from Rio Vista, I found a well hidden Mexican restaurant located on the corner of Pleasant Grove Blvd and Howsley Rd.
The prices are good, the food is good, and the only one's that know about this place are the local farmers and me. :lol:
They are closed on sunday's

below is a link for a google map to the Pleasant Grove Restaurant.
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=t&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLR,GGLR:2005-39,GGLR:en&q=pleasant+grove,+CA
uh-oh, now you let the secret out....local farmers, you and a few thousand 'freinds' (that read these forums) now know... :D

Looks like I have a few new destinations to pin to my map.... 8)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Aero98 said:
Caspers??? no way. Top Dog in Berkeley off Telegraph if you want a good hot dog . Slow cooked on a grill and lots of diff types of dogs.
Right on Aero98!!! Louisiana Hot Sausage and a Bockwurst for me! Used to go there all the time between riots in 1967-1970. Now whenever I'm in the area cruising up the 880, gotta detour up Ashby or University, over to Durant, and stuff my face! I also make sure I always have a Top Dog t-shirt in good shape.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Twodawgzz said:
Aero98 said:
Caspers??? no way. Top Dog in Berkeley off Telegraph if you want a good hot dog . Slow cooked on a grill and lots of diff types of dogs.
Right on Aero98!!! Louisiana Hot Sausage and a Bockwurst for me! Used to go there all the time between riots in 1967-1970. Now whenever I'm in the area cruising up the 880, gotta detour up Ashby or University, over to Durant, and stuff my face! I also make sure I always have a Top Dog t-shirt in good shape.
You know they have a sitdown Top Dog now ?
Its off of Shattuck near the UC Movie Theater . :D
I love the Bockwurst also .

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you going to ride around the Sutter Butte's here is a neat little railroad car type diner that has a general store attached to the back side.
I didn't have time to eat, but the hospitality was A+++
I was the only one there, I only wanted a cup of coffee, so the cook brewed a fresh pot, charged me a dollar and said I could have all I wanted!
I browsed through the general store where there was a host of leather goods. I wanted some type of souvenir and ended up buying a leather strap with fringe and the letters, "SINALOA" My eyes played a little trick on me and told me the letters spelled out, "sinloy" (Viet Namese for, sorry about that). So I asked the cook how much (Price on back was $6.95) but he sold it to me for $5.
BTW, I found out later that "Sinaloa" is a state in Mexico. I still pronounce it, "Sinloy" and I am probably spelling that wrong.
Any way, you can find this neat little hole in the wall in, Afton, California.
Don't worry about finding the Afton General store/restaurant, if you can find Afton, the only thing there is the, Afton General store/restaurant.

My sinloy, hanging from the bottom left corner of the county sign.

for a close up of the lettering click below;
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b119/Getalong/58/butte/100_1070.jpg

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On my ride down south yesterday, I stopped at Morgan Hill to meet my cousin. He recommended this extremely neat restaurant on E. Dunne Ave. Just 1 block west of hwy 101 is, Scrambles restaurant.
It's a 50's theme decor. The coffee cups are huge! and so are the portions food, which is great, and all that comes at a really affordable price. (Cheap)

1 - 20 of 74 Posts