Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,220 Posts
Tip: Snow is too slippery to ride on.

I agree. Using your cruiser in the winter will not only ruin the chrome finish when the salt gets on there, your bike may not stay on two wheels long enough to see that happen. You are braver than I, and I wish you good luck. I may be wrong, but it just sounds like a bad idea.

·
Premium Member
8,857 Posts
There's no debate J', But I get it.. I do .. And it's gonna be all fun and games until you wake up in the hospital with a $260,000 hospital bill hanging around your neck..

You are playing Russian Roulette riding on that stuff... It's not a matter "if" bad things are going to happen when doing so.

A Motorcycle.. On Regular rubber, on regular roads with irregular traction... It's just the wrong tool for the job. You can be as impressive as you like on this stuff as you are going down the road as slow as you like, then some git in a cage pulls out in front of you - which only happens to us all the time - or slides into you, whatever.. Then what? Gonna slam on the brakes??? .."Swerve".. ??

Just because person Can Do Something, don't mean that they should.. But..Your ass tho'.

Do yourself a favor and Jeep it.. ;)

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Blah blah blah..... Ride your ride Ohio.
If they salt the roads, WASH IT as soon as you get home....
I rode my VTX all chromed up year round for 3 years and sold it for almost double I bought it.

Like I said, ride slower than usual and SMOOTH. If Sanoke is still here, hopefully he can give you more pointers too.

You might be out of luck though.... Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum - View Profile: sanoke

Ride safe brother.

PS CD helped with the searching of his posts.... good luck!! Let the nay sayers begin....
Oh hey How's that DARKSIDE idea coming along too??? Don't do it.... YOU WILL DIE!!!!! :eek:)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Dave, I'm sure that was just a typo...

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Do people really have that much of a passion for riding so much that they actually enjoy ridin in the snow or is it just to say they do...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do people really have that much of a passion for riding so much that they actually enjoy ridin in the snow or is it just to say they do...

heres my thoughts on it.

you ride your bike to work and it starts down puring the second you leave work. raining so hard you swear the bottom fell out. do you really pull over and wait 2 hours for it to stop? do you really call a tow truck to tow you home? no you put the correct gear on and take it slow and easy. if your riding in the snow and you are worried about someone not stoping and rear ending you then you shouldn't be riding. because you take that same chance when the guy behind you in the summer can't stop because he was to cheap to fix his brakes. or because a text was more important than seeing your on your bike.

riding a motorcycle is a risk that we all take no matter what the weather is.

i love to ride, i would rather ride my bike then drive a car. i know my limits and i would never just take off in a snow storm or if the roads are covered in snow. but if i leave for work with clear roads I'm riding home. i know if the main roads are to bad and if they are ill walk my bike home. or call for a trailer.

the road hazards for riding in the snow, rain, or clear skye are all the same.

snow hazards, black ice, slippy roads, cold temps, sliding cars, less traction

rain hazards, slippy roads, less traction, bad visablitly

clear sky hazards, oil spills, bugs, bird crap,

and that is all on top of texting, eating, not paying attention, just bad drivers.

if you dress for snow riding and take it easy it can be a lot of fun. i know my limits and i would never ride in the snow if i felt it was too bad.

motorcycling is a risk and its up to the rider to weigh the risk vs reward.

crazy dave doesn't wear a helmet ATGATT guys would say thats nuts but its his ride.

i do know the dangers and i know the dangers of throwing a leg over no matter what the weather is. but i refuse to live in a bubble and not ride because a tiny bit of snow. if the main roads were covered in snow i wouldn't ride but just because snow is falling on a busy road doesn't mean i won't ride. its all about knowing your limits and riding safe.

i do recommend everyone to at least try it but be safe about it. and make sure your wife, husband, kids whatever understand it and are ok with it. if my wife says i dont want you try ride today because i dont like the way the sun is. then ok ill drive that day. part of riding in any weather is making sure your wife, husband, and kids are ok with it and understand.

we all ride here and we all take the same risk.

ride safe and ride your own ride

·
Premium Member
8,857 Posts
Well.. You the man then..

·
Premium Member
8,857 Posts
Me to.. All the best to you buddy!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
heres my thoughts on it.

you ride your bike to work and it starts down puring the second you leave work. raining so hard you swear the bottom fell out. do you really pull over and wait 2 hours for it to stop? do you really call a tow truck to tow you home? no you put the correct gear on and take it slow and easy. if your riding in the snow and you are worried about someone not stoping and rear ending you then you shouldn't be riding. because you take that same chance when the guy behind you in the summer can't stop because he was to cheap to fix his brakes. or because a text was more important than seeing your on your bike.

i love to ride, i would rather ride my bike then drive a car. i know my limits and i would never just take off in a snow storm or if the roads are covered in snow. but if i leave for work with clear roads I'm riding home. i know if the main roads are to bad and if they are ill walk my bike home. or call for a trailer.

and that is all on top of texting, eating, not paying attention, just bad drivers.

if you dress for snow riding and take it easy it can be a lot of fun. i know my limits and i would never ride in the snow if i felt it was too bad.

crazy dave doesn't wear a helmet ATGATT guys would say thats nuts but its his ride.

i do know the dangers and i know the dangers of throwing a leg over no matter what the weather is. but i refuse to live in a bubble and not ride because a tiny bit of snow. if the main roads were covered in snow i wouldn't ride but just because snow is falling on a busy road doesn't mean i won't ride. its all about knowing your limits and riding safe.

i do recommend everyone to at least try it but be safe about it. and make sure your wife, husband, kids whatever understand it and are ok with it. if my wife says i dont want you try ride today because i dont like the way the sun is. then ok ill drive that day. part of riding in any weather is making sure your wife, husband, and kids are ok with it and understand.

Up here we call that attitude stupid. Nature has a way of sorting that out.
The risks are way worse in the winter, cold makes you less attentive-that's biology, you're body makes heat so you don't die. Black ice is almost invisible-that's why experienced driver's hate it. It's also really slippery-worse on two wheels. Inattentive driver's are less sharp than usual due to a lack of sunlight. Attentive driver's are less so for the same reason. That lack of light also makes you harder to see coupled with the fact that no one is expecting a bike in that kind of weather.

Do yourself a favour, don't ride in the snow or winter in general. The mark you want to leave shouldn't be a wierd statistic. If you want to ride get a snowmobile.

Dingo.

·
Read Only
107 Posts
Last time I rode in the snow/ice...

It was back in college, in the January days before spring semester started. At the time, my wife had a car and I just had a Honda Rebel 250. On the day we absolutely HAD to go buy textbooks, her car wouldn't start. So we both got on the Honda and took off across town, staying well under the speed limit and practically taking every turn completely vertical. It wasn't terrible, but she mostly didn't like the 25 degree weather. Good times.

Anyway, haven't since.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts

heres my thoughts on it.

I feel you man.
I'm just an old Florida boy, so ridin in the snow to me is nuts, but as you said people think we're nuts simply because we ride period. It is what it is, keep on truckin.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I feel you man.
I'm just an old Florida boy, so ridin in the snow to me is nuts, but as you said people think we're nuts simply because we ride period. It is what it is, keep on truckin.
thank you.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts