Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys once more I come to you with a head scratcher. When I first crank my bike it starts fine no problems at all. I can ride it a while and it rides fine. But if I turn it off let it sit for a few mins and go to crank it again. It won't start but if I let it sit a while it will start, hard but it will start. I've pulled the carbs cleaned them checked all jets, searched the forums with no luck. Getting plenty of fuel and spark. Almost like it's flooding out. Any ideas before I pull what few patches of hair I have left out.
Thanks guys.
Donnie

·
Registered
756 Posts
How old is your battery?
you can also check under your left side cover, there is a plastic plug were the wires from your stator connect to the wiring harness, itis common for this plug to fail, i lot of people cut the wires on both sides of this connection and solder them together, does not matter which wires get soldered to which, there are three yellow wires, that need a good connection to the wires that come from your stator, if this connection is bad your battery wont charge properly, and even though you se spark, sometimes it's just a little too week to fire up the bike, thats the first two things i would check.

while your at it you can spray some contact cleaner into your starter button and stop/ run switches, dirty contacts in these can cause hard starting too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The battery is only 2 weeks old. I get what your saying about weak spark. But what gets me is it will start after it sits for a little while. I even pulled the plugs, all getting spark. Sprayed a lil ether in the holes and wouldn't pop off there either. I'm stumped.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I would also take the time to check the fuel flow to the carbs. Based on what you have said it's plausible that when you leave the HOT bike sitting in this nice HOT weather you are boiling off the gas in carb bowl. A clogged fuel filter may then be slowing the refilling of the carb bowls.

It's an easy check so there is no reason not to do it.

As mentioned the battery can cause starting issues. Since you have recently replaced it I would also check and make sure that your bike is actually recharging it properly.

Ignition coils that are hot comined with a weak battery can cause a weak spark, so it is also possible that once the coils cool and your battery rests you finally get a hot eneough spark to start the bike. I use to have a Oldsmobile Toranado with the bigass 455 engine. The old ignition coil set just above the exhaust manifold and one summer started giving me problems until I moved it, eventualy I replaced it (wow what a difference).

·
Registered
184 Posts
hmm, i used to have this problem ALL the time and people kept telling me it was that stupid CDI box

Guess i'll have to see how she does when I get her running again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok guys an update to my problem. Thanks for all the great info and help. Don't know if it was weak spark or the starter, but before I changed the starter I flushed the gas changed the filter which was clean and installed the hot shot mod. Rode the bike several hours today and everytime I stoped the bike cranked rite up. So problem solved for now anyway. Thanks again for all your help. And if anyone has a crashbar they want to sell let me know. Lol.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ok guys an update to my problem. Thanks for all the great info and help. Don't know if it was weak spark or the starter, but before I changed the starter I flushed the gas changed the filter which was clean and installed the hot shot mod. Rode the bike several hours today and everytime I stoped the bike cranked rite up. So problem solved for now anyway. Thanks again for all your help. And if anyone has a crashbar they want to sell let me know. Lol.
Glad you got the problem fixed! Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is a Hot Shot mod?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am not at all mechanically inclined. BUT!!! I do have a crashbar from a 99 vt600c I am looking to get rid of. I think I have them listed for $40 (That is, if they would fit your model bike) I am also willing to make a trade for some 6 inch risers or a 1 1/2 lowering kit. Just a thought :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.