Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going on my first Motorcycle Camping trip. I have to say I am pretty excited about it. While it's going to be a rough ride on MY bike(bobber kit) I will still enjoy it none the less. Any tips for me for those who have done this before? I am in the military so I believe I have most of the "outdoors" part covered but ya never know!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Enjoy and don't forget the bug spray..

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Loading the bike is 85% of the battle. Depending on how much your gear weighs you'll want to adjust your back shock or you may be bottoming out your bike. If your using side bags, load them equally and if you are using a sissy bar bag, keep the heavy stuff in the bottom to keep the center of gravity down. The only stuff on top is stuff you may need quickly, camera, rain gear etc.

Load up the bike and take a short 20-30 ride before you leave to shake out load issues.

I'd also wear longer socks, at least upper calf to help with heat issues on the leg from the pipe. Also I'd suggest some anti-monkey butt powder since it is easy to get sweaty while camping and add long hours on the bike the stuff will really help.

The only take along thing you may not think of is skin cream. I just came off a 1600 mile ride and I look like a racoon from sun and wind burn and I was using a sun block cream.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Gaff,
it's kind of like "regular" camping. You have to make the determination first off if you would rather go with a little too much, or end up doing without. As being military myself, I learned that my feet and hands are the most valuable parts on me so I always bring one more pair of sock than days I'll be gone. After that, it's just the jeans I have on + one more pair. Same thing with shirts. I generally pick up a shirt or two every trip I take and I have no problem wearing them off the shelf. Here in NV I don't have to worry about rain gear, but when I take cross country trips I lay my raingear flat in my bedroll and roll it up inside. With a bobber I'm not sure how you'll end up dividing your gear up, I'll look forward to hearing how you pull that off. With my bike, I put my clothes and douche kit and "stuff" in a bag that straps to the back and I can lean back on it, bedroll goes up front. I'm kind of a minimalist and have no problem finding myself having to do without when on the road.... that kind of comes naturally after 23 years of active duty service I guess... probably why I still tent camp instead of buying some dang 5th wheel or motorhome! Those clothes folding skills you learned in bootcamp will finally come in handy!! Hope you have a great trip and look forward to hearing stories on how well it went. Enjoy!!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Bike camping is fun, did it lots when I had the concours. Like anything else, when you get serious about something, there's lots of specialized gear you can get - there's a plethora of lightweight camping gear available - if you wanna spend the cash. I'm leaving on a 7 day BWCA trip in the morning and my total gear loadout is 70L and weighs just over 60#. (the tackle box and rod&reel are not counted in that total)

that's a mess kit, stove, fuel, lantern, flashlight, tent, sleeping bag, 2 changes of clothing, rain gear, 14 meals (planning on some fish...) 100' of rope, roll of duct tape, axe, saw. & couple other various essentials. The only thing not in my pack is water. I've got filters and sterilizers for that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks!

I appreciate the tips! I am going to pack light. All I am taking is a backpack. Squidchief- I guess enduring the "suck" throughout our careers will finally pay off...HA! Extra socks, and raingear seem to be the items I need to ensure I pack. Again, thank you guys!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Recently did a close overnighter for fun and as a shakedown run. Used my lightweight
backpacking gear, stove, freeze dried food. Had a great fun time...except forgot the coffee... Will definately do it again in the fall when temps cool... enjoy the road and woods.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
HOLY CRAP!!!! Forgot the coffee????? That's going too far. First thing packed is a couple of zip locked bags of coffee grounds. I might have to stick them in my lip like chew, but man, never forget the coffee!!! LOL. I'll bet you Louisiana campers don't forget your mosquito spray! Gaffney, double check your load and give it a good shakedown before hitting the open road. If it's going to loosen up or fall off, you want it to happen close to the house, not on the main road with someone riding up your taillight... that, and it sucks feeling the need to keep one eye on your mirror waiting for stuff to fly off your bike instead of being able to enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Camping on the bike?? Don't take it if you don't want to carry it. Only take what you need. Get a Hotel.....

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
We camp all the time, the hardest part is something to sleep on that is comfortable.
Air mattress is to big to carry takes up to much room.

An Extra sleeping bag works well...you fold it in half so your shoulders and but sleep on it like a half mattress.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I can't get by the forgetting the coffee. Holy crap, what point is there in living.Beer can substitute in an emergency

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had a quick over-night trip to a close state park as a shakedown. It was a blast but I slept like crap (I usually do anyway). I hiked way too much though. By the time I got home I thought my legs were going to fall off.

I'm stripping a can of stove gas from my list and adding something for breakfast.

Getting everything on Lady took a couple attempts but the arrangement went off without a hitch.

Hope it goes well for you!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Motorcycle camping is a hoot. I do it as often as I can.
I've spend years paring down my packing, and I'm still at it. I like to travel light.

Getting a good night's sleep is problematic, though. The next day of riding is a lot more enjoyable if you rest well. Sleeping pads, for me, are no better than sleeping on the ground. I tried a small swimming raft once because it packs small and is easy to inflate. Not much better: It's too thin and too narrow.

I finally settled on a single size inflatable mattress. It rolls up small, and it helps to have a 12V or battery-powered inflator (I found a very cheap-looking small one at a yard sale that does the job just fine) if you don't want to spend all evening blowing it up, but I sleep very comfortably on it.

Best bet? Find a nice quiet campground. No matter how good your sleeping set-up is, it's hard get some rest where you're surrounded by a bunch of party campers noisily yukking it up all night long. :mad:

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I have a "Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Pad" to sleep on for back packing.
Works well for me. Pretty comfortable. (I have the mummy version to save weight on the trail)
It's 2 1/2" thick when you air it up and packs into a 4x8" stuff sack. Weighs about 24oz.
Check out REI.com or some place that sells back packing gear.

·
Registered
334 Posts
x2 on the big agnes. good stuff. I had one for a few years and recently bought a therm a rest prolite plus. lovin that one too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts