Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike (2002 Honda shadow VT600) was running great, and then I let it sit for about a month. Now it starts up perfectly without any issues, idles for about 30 seconds, and then shuts off. Then it won’t start back up unless I let it sit for the night and come back to it. I have checked battery connections, charged battery, checked fuses, And replaced spark plugs. I don’t believe it is a fuel issue because I can see the carb injecting fuel when I start it up. It shuts off in a pretty consistent time frame. And for idling for only 30 seconds, the exhaust seems pretty hot. Any help would be greatly appreciated so I can stop losing hair over this issue. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Could I possibly need a new battery or have a grounding issue? When I try to start it up, my neutral light, oil light, and running lights on my blinkers dim out. I can’t remember if it did that before or not

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
2,695 Posts
I would guess it is a problem with the vacuum petcock, either, the diaphragm valve or the vacuum hose.
Does it start if you put the petcock in the "Reserve" position?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would guess it is a problem with the vacuum petcock, either, the diaphragm valve or the vacuum hose.
Does it start if you put the petcock in the "Reserve" position?
it started for like two seconds and then shut off in the reserve position. It seems like the longer I let it sit, the longer it will run for (maxing out at about 30 seconds).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I pulled the fuel hose off and cycled through on, off, and reserve. Drained it into a bucket, fuel seems to be coming out fine in both on and res. Positions

·
Premium Member
7,473 Posts
Before you try to start it again drain your float bowl on the carb, refill it, and then try again.

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
2,695 Posts
Open the fuel drain on the float bowl of the carb when it stops and see how much gas comes out, should be about a shot glass or so.
The drain is a tube on the bottom of the float bowl and there is a recessed slot screw which acts a faucet to open or close the flow just above it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts