Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m very new to this forum.

Beginning my 72nd year of life. On Vancouver Island, since 2011.

I prefer direct email, if possible, as posted in my profile for “members only”.

Is there a link to a favoured site which can help (me) determine which model of 1997 Shadow 1100 I have, based on VIN? I don’t know whether it is an ACE or ??

Explanation for my query:
In reverse “inheritance”, our late son, days before he passed, signed over his Shadow to me.

It was in early stage of dismantle. He was dreaming of “Bobbing” it, when he fell ill with cancer.

I am hoping to reconstitute it to near “original” as is practicable as a memorial project.

I’m a former 1978 GoldWing GL1000 rider. My son also rode it in his High School days.

I have ridden this 1100 Shadow on short KS trips with my son, in the past, while he rode another of his bikes.

this was us approx. 2 months before he died. Late son, front centre; 2nd son, right; daughter, back right; self, back left.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Flash photography Motor vehicle

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to hear, Papa. I kind of look like him, and am around that age. Opposite coast, though. Nova Scotia.

Could you get a pic of the VIN sticker on the steering neck?
Hi!
Thanks for the kind words.
Here’s the tag:
Publication Font Automotive tire Metal Darkness

I Note, with some considerable chagrin, that American Honda, who were my first contact, deflected my request for VIN information interpretation, telling me it was a Cdn build.

This tag seems to suggest otherwise.
Appreciate any help you can uncover or offer.

·
Registered
'83 VT750C; ‘21 SV650A
3,443 Posts
Have to take what anyone tells you with a grain of salt, though they often mean well. There’s free online VIN checkers that give similar info, as per the above. Some places get the full inside information as to the exact factory, etc., but we don’t have that. The C3 might have been built in Canada, but I’m not aware of any bike factories up here… The American Classic Edition is a nice bike. You’ll just be stuck riding around in circles on the Island! 😉

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,703 Posts
There are no Canadian "built" Honda Shadows, however there are some models that were built for the Canadian market ie the 1998 VT750 in Canada got features that did not come out in US till 2000. For the VT1100 there are different front tire sizes. VT1100C2 is an ACE. (spoke wheels but no floorboards and shorter/split exhaust than the Aero etc). So that's probably what American Honda meant.

Tire Plant Wheel Fuel tank Land vehicle

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
The 1 as a 1st digit means it was assembled in the US, which would mean the Marysville Ohio plant before it was converted to all recreational stuff around 2002 I believe? .

There are online VIN breakdowns, I know a 1st digit of 1 or 5 are US while 2 is Canada and 3 is Mexico and J being Japan, can't remember any others.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are no Canadian "built" Honda Shadows, however there are some models that were built for the Canadian market ie the 1998 VT750 in Canada got features that did not come out in US till 2000. For the VT1100 there are different front tire sizes. VT1100C2 is an ACE. (spoke wheels but no floorboards and shorter/split exhaust than the Aero etc). So that's probably what American Honda meant.

View attachment 303524
Thanks. It would seem you may be correct, also.
LEARNING MUCH!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts