Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My plans have changed as plans sometime do. The trip I was planning to Arkansas in the first week of March has just gotten changed the company I work for has requested that I postpone my week off for a couple of weeks. This will not be a bad change because it will be a little warmer. Still looking forward to the ride.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Do you know what I told my company when they told me to change my vacation plans? They made do.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I was looking for a job when I found this one. They tend to realize how valuable you are if you remind that them you have "options". I just got a job offer yesterday. I wouldn't take it, but it is a "option".

I'm good at what I do and they know that.

·
Registered
18,130 Posts
Yeah, I`ve hired folks who were looking for a job, but had to fire them when they did not want to work...
:D

Dad used to recite, " I had a good and quit. First they hired me, then they fired me. THEN by golly I QUIT!"

This "jingle" has come to my mind twice today through my meanderings on internet use :D

March is my time to "take off" normally...
BUT I`m saving my Honda Buck$ for August trip to Sturgis then to Washington DC Sept 11 - 2,000,000 Bikers at the capitol...

Does Anyone wish to sponsor me on these trips? :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The vacation change was not that much of a deal. It would have been but i was going ride to Arkansas, to my home town to see my brother and have lunch with some old friends. It would have been about 1150 miles round trip. I had not said anything to them so their plans where not interrupted. I have started making plans to go in late March or early April, just may make it a birthday trip and make it on my 68th April 11.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Hope your able to reschedule it soon. The vacation that my office wanted me to change was planned and paid for already. I would have quit before changing it. I work on average 72 hours per week throughout the year. I figured I sacrifice enough of my life for them, I'm not missing a vacation.lol.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Scaredofmyownshadow i just moved it to April. I only posted about it because i had posted my plans earlier. I don't mine changing things most of the time I'm very flexable. But if it was like your I would have put my foot down. I'm 67 still working to have something to do retired once didn't like it so went back to work after a little incourgement from G-Ma, she knows how to shoot and carries all the time . lOL

·
Registered
11,178 Posts
I was looking for a job when I found this one. They tend to realize how valuable you are if you remind that them you have "options". I just got a job offer yesterday. I wouldn't take it, but it is a "option".

I'm good at what I do and they know that.
Can't tell you how many guys I've had work for me who felt that way and guess what? They are long gone (quit-not fired), and the company is still growing. Pretty amazing how that works out, isn't it?

Very few are indispensable...including me, but what's funny is the more indispensable guys really are, the less 'special' they act. What I have come to realize is that guys with that "I'm really good" pov don't take that 'better' offer, that 'better' option, they just 'threaten' with it.

For me, it's always..."if that's a better offer for you, why don't you take it? If you're not going to take it, why mention it?" And it's a pity if the company allows itself to be held hostage like that.
There are plenty of guys out there as good or better than you, me and everyone else....get over yourself :wink:

·
Registered
11,178 Posts
Scaredofmyownshadow i just moved it to April. I only posted about it because i had posted my plans earlier. I don't mine changing things most of the time I'm very flexable. But if it was like your I would have put my foot down. I'm 67 still working to have something to do retired once didn't like it so went back to work after a little incourgement from G-Ma, she knows how to shoot and carries all the time . lOL
Who wouldn't say something if they had money paid out already? Good for you for being flexible. That can, at times, pay some dividends over the long haul.

Have a great ride in the (hopefully) better/warmer weather.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Can't tell you how many guys I've had work for me who felt that way and guess what? They are long gone (quit-not fired), and the company is still growing. Pretty amazing how that works out, isn't it?

Very few are indispensable...including me, but what's funny is the more indispensable guys really are, the less 'special' they act. What I have come to realize is that guys with that "I'm really good" pov don't take that 'better' offer, that 'better' option, they just 'threaten' with it.

For me, it's always..."if that's a better offer for you, why don't you take it? If you're not going to take it, why mention it?" And it's a pity if the company allows itself to be held hostage like that.
There are plenty of guys out there as good or better than you, me and everyone else....get over yourself :wink:
I've been here for over 20 years. You just don't want the company thinking that they own you. I jump through hoops for them. I get things done that others pass up and say cannot be done. They can jump through a hoop for me every once in a while.

I AM NOT the only one qualified to do what I do, so they can get by without me for a week while spend some time with my wife and kids. Like I said, I put in an average of 72 hrs per week. Sometimes more, but hardly ever less. I've put in 112 hours a week before. Sometimes I travel for weeks at a time for them. I do what they ask me to do and more. I loose more family time than I really want too.

After 20 years they think that there is no way I am going anywhere else ,and like I said, sometimes they need to be reminded, that isn't necessarily true!

I don't hold the company hostage. I don't make demands and threaten to leave. I have never asked for a raise. Matter of fact, I have never asked for anything. All the perks that I have, have been given to me without me asking.

I don't threaten them with the job offers that I get, they will just come up in normal conversation in sort of a joking way. But you should see the nervousness in their eyes upon mention of them. I know they value me. If I didn't make them money, I wouldn't be here. Business is business.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Please, I didn't posted the orignal post to start a pissing match I was just posting to vent a little disappointment. After thinking about it, the change will be a good one and things worked out ok.
Let get back to talking about travel on our bikes and how much we enjoy them, that would be a lot more enjoyable.
Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Please, I didn't posted the orignal post to start a pissing match I was just posting to vent a little disappointment. After thinking about it, the change will be a good one and things worked out ok.
Let get back to talking about travel on our bikes and how much we enjoy them, that would be a lot more enjoyable.
Thanks
Dan
It's all good. Just normal stuff here:D

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
After thinking about it, the change will be a good one and things worked out ok.
Thanks
Dan
Late March or early May will give you a better chance of favorable weather anyway.

·
Registered
11,178 Posts
I've been here for over 20 years. You just don't want the company thinking that they own you. I jump through hoops for them. I get things done that others pass up and say cannot be done. They can jump through a hoop for me every once in a while.

I AM NOT the only one qualified to do what I do, so they can get by without me for a week while spend some time with my wife and kids. Like I said, I put in an average of 72 hrs per week. Sometimes more, but hardly ever less. I've put in 112 hours a week before. Sometimes I travel for weeks at a time for them. I do what they ask me to do and more. I loose more family time than I really want too.

After 20 years they think that there is no way I am going anywhere else ,and like I said, sometimes they need to be reminded, that isn't necessarily true!

I don't hold the company hostage. I don't make demands and threaten to leave. I have never asked for a raise. Matter of fact, I have never asked for anything. All the perks that I have, have been given to me without me asking.

I don't threaten them with the job offers that I get, they will just come up in normal conversation in sort of a joking way. But you should see the nervousness in their eyes upon mention of them. I know they value me. If I didn't make them money, I wouldn't be here. Business is business.
The statement in bold makes all the difference. Most I've dealt with were 'the greatest' but couldn't say they got anything of importance done when it counted or there wasn't an obvious solution. Yeah...they can jump for you once in awhile.

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
I always gave a days work for a days pay. I did not owe a company anything and they did not owe me anything. It was always a even trade.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,582 Posts

+1. Vito you are very well spoken my man and realist to boot. :wink:

I always gave a days work for a days pay. I did not owe a company anything and they did not owe me anything. It was always a even trade.
Pretty much the way it should be.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.