Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the same problem with mine. I just rebuild my carbs a few months ago because I couldn't do anything. It has gotten better but still can't go over 80. I had to rewire the stator and rectifier due to the previous owners burnt the hell out of the wires. Would that be the problem? It has new wires, plugs and coils.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
I have the same problem with mine. I just rebuild my carbs a few months ago because I couldn't do anything. It has gotten better but still can't go over 80. I had to rewire the stator and rectifier due to the previous owners burnt the hell out of the wires. Would that be the problem? It has new wires, plugs and coils.
When you had the carbs apart, did you check the slide diaphragms for holes or tears?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
The slide diaphragms are the first thing that came to my mind too.
Hold them up to a bright light and look for pin holes, I think if there were anything bigger it wouldn't make it to 80 mph and you would have noticed during the rebuild.

The other thing which is quite common are leaking of the carb boots, which in one of its ways of manifesting itself can act like a rev. limiter.
As the check for this is easier it is the one I would try first.
With the bike idling spray aerosol carb cleaner around the boot at the head spigot and the carb joint, if the idle changes then you have a leak.
If you are using the type of carb cleaner that causes the bike to stumble then you will likely smell the toxic result in a second or two from the exhaust, so do this in a well ventilated area, like outside.
Carb boots when new are somewhat pliable, over the years they become hard and eventually crack, also check the clamps to make sure they are not bottoming out before being tight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts