Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a I have a 2003 Honda VT750DC Shadow Spirit.
It's brand new to me.

I recently changed the air filter, oil, and lubricated the chain. I took it out on a county highway for the firs time this afternoon. It goes from 0 to 50 without any issues, and then it stops accelerating. Any idea what the issue could be? I've had a hard time starting it on "colder" mornings as well (55-60 degrees) and I've had to use the choke to get the bike going. I'm not sure if this is a symptom of something else or just normal bike behavior.

What do you guys think the issue could be?

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Needing choke to cold start the bike in those Temps is normal behavior. I was also having this same issue and I took my carbs apart and found my float level was needing adjustment in one bowl. I also found my vaccum crossover line between my two carbs had a hole in it. I would suggest starting by pulling your spark plugs and inspecting them to see if you're running lean, rich etc and going from there. When it stops acceleration does it bogg down , cut out to one cylinder, or just completely lose power and die ?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Needing choke to cold start the bike in those Temps is normal behavior. I was also having this same issue and I took my carbs apart and found my float level was needing adjustment in one bowl. I also found my vaccum crossover line between my two carbs had a hole in it. I would suggest starting by pulling your spark plugs and inspecting them to see if you're running lean, rich etc and going from there. When it stops acceleration does it bogg down , cut out to one cylinder, or just completely lose power and die ?
I am not that mechanically inclined besides basic maintenance (oil, chain, etc.). How complicated would you say that is? I will try to take a look at my carburetor ASAP. I also decided to replace the fuel filter for good measure.

At 50, I think it gets bogged down? It begins to decelerate and makes some gurgling noises. I then have to let some of the throttle off, downshift, and take it back up to 50 again if I can even get it there.

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
1,802 Posts
Carbs are not fun/easy to work on, but they’re still simple and straightforward if you can understand the basics. Maybe watch a YouTube video or three on CV carb operation and some servicing, to get a feel for it first. The problem is it’s getting harder and harder to find a shop that still services them.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
17,466 Posts
You might check to see if it is a fuel starvation from the supply line. Get it up to 50 and when it falters shut off and coast to the side of the road, and loosen the float bowl drain screws to see if 1 or so ounces of fuel in INSIDE the bowl.
If it is then for sure the jets are clogging.
It could also be excessively rich and the plugs would show black and sooty then.

·
Registered
2006 Shadow Aero 750
92 Posts
Sure sounds like a gummed up carb to me. How long had it sat without running? If I were you I would pour over the Yewtubes and if I thought I could do it I would go for it and do a lot of photos to help with reassembly. Or, you could search diligently for someone nearby that does it for a living.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts