Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know where I can get a pair of airbox to carb boots, item #15 Tube B #17257-MK7-000. 86 Shadow VT700c? Mine are getting dried out, not cracked yet, but looking like they should get replaced while I have carbs off. Thanks; Bart

·
Registered
92 Posts
I recently had to replace my boots since they were torn up and the PO had taped them up with Electrical tape which had cut into them. I was not able to find them. You'll have to keep scouring ebay and other salvage places to try and find original ones. Since my bike is my main form of transportation I had to improvise since I could not find any.

I ended up using two radiator hoses from autozone of different diameters.

One was simply a 1/2" long sleeve inside the other to pad the neck on the airbox, since the opening on the airbox is about 3/8" smaller than the carb one.

They have not given me problems since doing this. I will however tell you that it is a pain in the ass to get them in place. I had to grease them up a little to get them in place. I placed the smaller diameter hose on the airbox neck first, then slipped the main hose in place and cinched with hose clamps.

Good luck in finding original ones though. You might have better luck than me, but so far I'm happy with my work.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Good luck. They've been discontinued for a while.

I "painted" mine with black RTV silicone after giving them a good cleaning to get the oil off. They've been holding up like that for years.

--Justin

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking of tapeing off the ends and dipping them in plastic dip. The're not that bad so I think i'm not going mess with them. Anybody tried this?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was thinking of tapeing off the ends and dipping them in plastic dip. The're not that bad so I think i'm not going mess with them. Anybody tried this?
Plasti dip would probably work otherwise what i am going to do to mine (since i can not find that exact same part # anywhere on the internet)

I just ordered some 3" heat shrink tubing with a 2:1 shrink ratio and i am going to just heat shrink it all of the way around and cross my fingers that it works!

Dont see why not. Hope this helps unless if you already dipped yours, How did that work out maybe i will try that instead!

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,357 Posts
Maybe the Flex Seal spray would be tougher. Just give them a new outside coating.

Since the majority of air flow in them is a low vacuum or low pressure I would do the same thing. Seal them on the outside.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Plasti dip would probably work otherwise what i am going to do to mine (since i can not find that exact same part # anywhere on the internet)

I just ordered some 3" heat shrink tubing with a 2:1 shrink ratio and i am going to just heat shrink it all of the way around and cross my fingers that it works!

Dont see why not. Hope this helps unless if you already dipped yours, How did that work out maybe i will try that instead!
Just a quick update on my boots. Last night i Heat shrunk some tubing to all 4 boots (Upper and Lower) and am going to go around the edges to seal them in.

But they look pretty dang solid and it only costed me about 12 dollars to do all of them.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,357 Posts
I saw a video about doing that and it looked like a good idea to try.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts