Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning again

My 2nd post not sure if it has to be a thread starter or not but had a question on carb cleaners if there safe to use on my 96 vt1100c which I just bought. Some told me about using sta-bil the marine one which he said had enzymes that works better than the regular one.

Thanks

Evan

·
Registered
11,384 Posts
Sta-bil is not a cleaner. The product they are probably talking about is Startron. You can get it at Walmart in the marine section.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Seafoam is good, I've had better luck with the spray than the in-tank version, and Berryman's is good as well. Never used Startron.

Is the bike acting up or is this more of a preventative measure?

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Dish soap and water, pinesol, brasso, true carb cleaner only to soak the jets once their removed.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply's guys

I just bought this bike, it hasn't been ridding in 8 months so the seller says. I asked him when last oil change he said he thought 2 years ago but the bike has only had less than 2000 miles on it in that frame time..

To day is the first full day of ownership. I'm waiting on my helmet so decided to change the oil. I used K-N filter with shell oild that seemed to be the most mentioned on different sites. I know the carbs get gunked up when there not used. The bike does start almost right up but there are some backfires and seems until it's warmed up there is some hesitation if I suddenly give it the throttle this is all non moving just having her on the kick.

So i thought I would use some carb cleaner to see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Are you giving it any choke at all when you start it? I'd recommend draining all of the old gas and running fresh with the recommended amount of Seafoam for a few tanks. If it runs fine after warming up, in-tank cleaner might clear any residue. Make sure to check the air cleaner for nests.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I plan on picking some up tom. seems the most popular.

Thanks for your help much appreciated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts