Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The PO had left the bike sitting for about 10 years, with gas in it....

Needless to say this has caused numerous issues with the entire fuel system. The petcock leaks while in the "off" position, the inner walls of the first fuel hose from the petcock to fuel filter are pretty much crumbling to bits, the filter doesn't look terrible but a new one wouldn't hurt for sure.

Upon getting the bike the first thing that I did was a good going through of the carbs with some carb clean, shop towels and about half a box of q-tips, the enrichment plugs were tacky to the touch from the dried gas, one of which had seized in there and needed to be extracted. With enough carb clean and patience it finally came free. After reassembly of the carbs (I didn't take them all the way down just removed the bowls and vacuum pistons/diaphragms, which are a real pain to set btw) and installation of the carbs she ran for a while. I soaked the petcock internals in a bit of brake fluid to expand the rubber which did fix the leaking issue in the "off" position, I then cleaned it out with fuel and seafoam.

Being how its winter here I then had to store it in the shed, I stablized the fuel and let it run to get into the carbs, turned off the fuel and hooked up the battery to the tender and locked her away.

I checked on things a day later and found a decent amount of fuel had dripped on to the floor from what appears to be some sort of carb vent tube. This was much better than my initial fears of the crankcase being flooded with gas. None the less I drained the oil to be sure, smelled normal and was at about 3 quarts without having removed the oil filter. The PO(S) that I bought it from had told me he'd changed the oil recently but it sure looked like old oil to me. At any rate, I'm thinking one of the needles is stuck open and allowing gas to flood the carb, as well as the petcock still seeping while "off". I've read Pingle's are the way to go since the oem ones are not rebuild-able. Any suggestions on where to go for all my (many) parts needs for the bike?

So all in all the list of things the bike needs is ever expanding but I guess that working on them is half the fun of owning them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah after pulling the tank after the flooding it's started dripping again, really wishing these petcocks were rebuildable

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate it, that a good site to go through for parts? I've seen that they have the hoses I need as well.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Appreciate it, that a good site to go through for parts? I've seen that they have the hoses I need as well.
Yeah, if you are not in a hurry they have about the best prices. Sometimes they need to order parts in, but they are very reliable and cheap for stock OEM parts. For aftermarket check out these guys...again about the cheapest if they have it in stock. http://cycleplicity.com/.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again, I'll give it a shot. How do you like those cobra floor boards and the highway bar? Thinking that'll be the first additions to the bike.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Thanks again, I'll give it a shot. How do you like those cobra floor boards and the highway bar? Thinking that'll be the first additions to the bike.
The Cobra floorboards are top notch. The chrome is really nice and as far as the highway bars, they are a must have to save your engine if you drop the bike. If you are a taller person they are needed for highway pegs. You might see some guys post here that stock pegs are better than boards, well they've never had good boards IMHO. The comfort level is not even close for touring. The object is to give your feet/legs as many possible positions to extend or relax in as possible. With boards alone you can move your feet a few inches forward and back. I am 6'6" tall and I can extend my legs all the way out with the setup I have.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,253 Posts
Not sure where you are from but they are not that expensive. For an ACE the part # is 16950-MAH-023. Comes with a filter too ...
16950-MAH-023 PETCOCK ASSY. $56.35
Or a little less at ronayers.com. A little more at servicehonda.com. Just a bit more at Babbit's. Those are my top 3 choices for online parts. (Servicehonda usually has the slowest delivery.) All three have good fiche systems though Ron Ayers' can be frustrating because the links line up a little high on their website. (Read the hyperlink preview -- if your browser give one -- before clicking.)

Added note: when I check the fiche files, I get the part number as 16950-MAH-013 selling for $55.84 @ Ron Ayers. Service Honda & Babbitt's show the part number as -023. All three are using the same image.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally getting along with the bike, parts are on order and should be on the road in the next two weeks or so as long as the heat wave sticks around.

Looks like we have the exact same pipes, were there any fitment issues with the cobra floorboards?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Vance & Hines pipes, the ones in your pic look identical to mine. How did you have to mod them to fit?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So turns out they are slip ons, so the floorboards should fit without needing modification. Got all my parts installed after pulling the carbs again and soaking the jets in some carb clean the size of the holes about doubled to where they should be. Bike roared to life, now if only it'd warm up!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts