Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, my girlfriend wants to learn how to ride a motorcycle so I bought her a 1995 honda shadow 600 VLX. I need to rebuild the carbs and Im finding some kis for 30.00 and some kits for 299.00. My question is are all kits the same or are some kits better than others.
Im trying not to put to much money in it because I have no idea on how she will be. I did a search and there is a lot of threads on carbs but nothing on the kits and whats different.
Seam like a lot of people are on here, a lot more than the victory forums.

·
Registered
1985 VT700
21 Posts
In my opinion buy inexpensive carb kits just for the gaskets and O-rings and any seals you might need and throw the Jets away. Go to Jets R us.com and buy decent jets, the ones that are included with the kits are usually inaccurately produced.
Again, this is just my experience.

·
Registered
02 1100 Spirit / 2012 Goldwing
4,909 Posts
I agree. Don't spend too much on a kit. There really isn't much to them. Check the diaphragms for pin holes or tears. Go to your local bike shop and match your stock jets for new ones. Jets are inexpensive. If you have dual carbs don't separate them it's not necessary. If your handy with and have manual it's not a hard job. Make sure you have clean new gas and put in a new filter as well.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
5,713 Posts
don't see any need for new jets, just clean the old ones.

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
2,426 Posts
There are everything from cheap as dirt Chinese complete rebuild kits which are a complete crap shoot to expensive performance kits that add snake oil and a ton of stuff and "improvements" you may or may not want.

Does the bike have any modifications or is it all stock? Intake mods are a bit of a nightmare to sort out, exhaust mods less so unless it has straight pipes with no baffles.

My approach is to buy a pair of float bowl gaskets and then just buy and replace the stuff that need replacing that I find while cleaning the carbs. 9 times out of 10 with a bike that has not sat unused for a long time and ran properly when it was put away, all it takes is cleaning and you will still have the float bowl gaskets sitting above you work bench on the peg board for another day when you are done. I guess what I'm saying is a lot of the time all you need is a can of aerosol carb cleaner and thats it.

Typically the only time I will install new jets is if they are or show signs of being heavily corroded, pretty much green or pitted,(They don't have to be gold, a brown color is OK) or if they have been physically abused, drilled, cleaned with a finishing nail or the screwdriver slot looks like a butterfly.

If you want to change jet sizes Keihin ones are the best choice, followed by EBC, I stay away from Dynojet as they size them differently to lock you in to their system, their quality is good though.
For basic gaskets and such K&L is good as is Keyster, Honda replacements are the best quality, sometimes the prices are tolerable, but often their prices are nuts and there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it.

I hope it works out for your girl friend, the vt600 should be plenty perky enough, has a low seat height, and reasonable weight, a good choice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The motor is stock , stock air cleaner , stock exhaust with the first plug in the exhaust drilled out.

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
2,426 Posts
That is really not a bad situation to be in, buying a heavily modified bike is generally a nightmare, glad for both of you to hear it is not one of those.
Stay with the carb stock set up for now, just clean them up as need be to get it running right.
They are great bikes as they are relatively simple, with a wide power band and Honda reliable, no hassles for a new rider.
There is a copy of the Honda Service manual for it here: Honda Service Manuals

·
Registered
139 Posts
Those old threads on carbs don't mention carb kits because they are seldom needed.

I have resurrected quite a few old bikes and have never bought a "carb kit" to date.
Disassembling/cleaning has worked every time and sometime just a Seafoam "soak" with no tear down.
Some times the float needle and seat needed replacement, sometimes just to update to a rubber tipped version though.

Have you had the bike running?
I suggest you put some effort into getting it started/running before tearing into anything.
If you can get it running, even poorly, you can apply a heavy dose of Seafoam to "clean" the carbs without any dissassembly.
If you can't get it running after the usual: check for spark, drain the float bowls, draining/replace the gas, a sprits of starting fluid, etc. then dissassemble the carbs.

Doing all this BEFORE buying a "carb kit" will reveal what is/is not not needed.
good luck on your quest,
jmo
:)

·
Registered
VT 1100c 1994
219 Posts
I just needed seals for the float chamber, some strong kitchen grease cleaner, a brush, brake cleaner to get the carbs done (and Dynojet kit, and one or two drinks, or so...). You can go the jet kit route later on, as this sometimes takes it's time...😬 -->CS is right...

·
Registered
1991 VT600 VLX
61 Posts
I used K&L rebuild kit (two - one for each carb). It has all o-rings, float gasket and new float valve with inlet filter.
it is necessary to adjust float height as per manual (7mm if I recall correctly). But this is worth checking anytime you open a carb.
also check what the a/f screw does so you are aware when you meet it with a screwdriver.
lastly - have a manual (either OEM or Haynes. I used Haynes for dissasembly and removal of carbs, and TJyoutube videos for opening up and dissasembly).
You don’t need to change jets, but clean them thoroughly.

p.s. I assume youdon’t have much experience working with carbs but I may be wrong ;)

·
Registered
VT 1100c 1994
219 Posts
You need good screw drivers with a snug fit, the screws and jets havent't been touched for a while.
this guy has some great videos
and he as well
both are no fancy guys, down to earth and very helpful

1 - 12 of 12 Posts