Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll start by listing the mods that were on the the bike before winter. It had a k&n filter, hard krome piped w/o baffles, dynojet kit.

Over the winter I kept the pipes, installed TJ Brutal Customs Velocity stacks, 4 degree timing mod, clutch Springs, and bought the Tj Brutal Customs jet kit.

I have tried many different combos with the jets, but I keep getting different degrees of the same issue.

The issue is, I sputter and have absolutely no power. It's as if I'm hitting the Rev limiter as soon as I leave the driveway. It idles a little rough as well. I have 145 pilot, 45 main, and dynojet needle on the 4th groove. This combination worked for about a week, and ran great. Then the sputtering started. I should add that I get some black smoke briefly while revving at idle, but no popping or any bucking/sputtering at idle. It only happens under load.

I haven't replaced the plugs, not sure if the P/O did or not. I have 11k on it. The plugs were a little wet and had a little bit of brownish gunk on them.

I've read these are symptoms of running rich. I moved the needle up a clip and it was even worse. I had to Rev almost to realize to keep it from drying.

Any ideas? Do I need to simply replace the plugs? Did I bump the floats out of adjustment? Electrical issue? It's definitely getting enough air, so I know it's a gas or spark issue.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,368 Posts
It sounds too rich. Cut the richness back and replace the plugs and see what that does.
If you went from a 120's size main to a 145, that seems a bit much. Especially with raising the needle 4 grooves also.
It may have run good because the weather was warmer for while ??? Then the plugs started to foul out with all that fuel and cooler temps. Just a guess. You have to back track sometimes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anyone know how the needle in the dynojet kit compares to the stock needle? In other words, what groove on the needle = no shims on stock needle? I understand that the profiles are much different, and the dynojet needle is much less restrictive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry I haven't updated, there was a death in the family.

I moved the clip to the 1st notch. With that and the float adjustment, the 145 and 45 jets seem to be doing well. I haven't taken it on a ride yet. I will let you all know how it goes.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,368 Posts
Sorry to hear of the family issue.

I hope your carbs are all set to run for a long time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.