Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,

I recently bought my first bike (2004 Honda Shadow Aero). on my second day the engine flooded with gas. (You can imagine what I was thinking.) I was fixed. A week later, the engine flooded once again and the petcock was replaced with an original Honda part. :-x

At about 500 miles of use, I began to noticed counter explosions coming out of the pipes. I explained this to my mechanic when he called to check on the bike and he explained it is because my pipes where gutted. Somehow to my non-mechanical self it made sense to me. I have noticed that the counter explosions have increased in frequency so I changed gas station thinking it may have been the gas. That did not work and the counter explosions continues. (Did I mention I am not mechanically inclined?)

At about 900 miles of use, I started to notice that when I start the bike its timing seems slower. The bike started but the engine seems to struggle to stay idle. I attributed that to being cold and it is winter after all. I noticed that once it is warmed up it runs good. However the issue has worsen over time where the bike struggle to stay idle even getting shut off. When I pulled the choke the engine quit running. It started back right up but struggles and dies while I get my helmet and gloves on. I also began to smell a gas scent about the bike as it idles after starting. I can't be sure if I smell gas from the bike while on traffic stops since I seem to be smelling every exhaust pipe on the road. :lol: While on the road the bike does not seems like is going to die but it is most certainly out of time or struggling a bit. Its engine does not seems to keep the same beat/tempo when idling.
I must point out that the bike has not lost power when riding and responds in the same manner as it did before I noticed the engine slowing down/struggle to stay idle.

After about 1300 miles of use, the bike was parked for 4 days due to weather. (I do not believe I am a fair weather rider as I have already being accused but I do not believe I have the skills/confidence to ride on wet roads; so I played it safe.) Today the bike started right up with no issues. Actually, I noticed the engine idled fine and was not struggling to stay idle.

I plan to take it for a spin while some of you read this long explanation and report my findings back to this fine community. (Yep, any excuse to ride the bike. ;) )

Any suggestion or advice?
Thank you so much

·
Registered
503 Posts
i think these are chain timed.
a timing chain isnt going to stretch or slip without serious happenings. (like 30 years of hard use)
that being said, carbs can cause studdering, popping, stumbling idle.
lots of stuff really.
all of their problems can be basically narrowed down into 2 groups.
too much fuel
not enough fuel
got a choke?
open it all the way, this will compinsate for some of the fule loss if it is running lean.
does it run better?
your not getting enough fuel; check fuel line filter, rebuild carb, clean jets, or replace jets.

opening the choke made it worse?
probably too much fuel.
check air filter, clean carb, rejet.

this is far from the end all be all, but it is what is most likley the cause imo.

happy hunting.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Need some more info. Whats the state of the airbox?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could it also be the clutch???

Thanks so much, 5l1mm !!!
The previous owner stated the bike sat for years with very little use. I guess I should have also mentioned that I bought the bike with less than 2000 miles on the odometer so the jets may be clogged. The bike's problem are the same regardless of the amount of gas in the tank. I noticed it right after I just filled up and when it is almost empty. The choke kills the engine when applied so I manually turn on the throttled while idling when first start it. That could explained why gas efficiency has diminish to 56MPG from 64MPG.

Furball Zen, I will check on the airbox and report back to you. Thanks a lot.

I must add/report that the bike started strong and rode fine; however I could hear a knocking sound when riding on low gears. The pipes will not let me hear the engine above 3rd gear but I assume the sound still there. However, I noticed that the sound diminish considerable once I compress the clutch to switch gears. I forgot to mentioned that I recently has also notice intermittent problems shifting into 4th and/or 5th gear.

·
Registered
503 Posts
if it sat for a wile, then dirty main jet sounds plausible.
mine sat dry for a year and the jets dried up and crusted.
if you clean them yourself be sure to clean the center of the jet when you pull it out.
youll need a piece of copper from a stripped wire, its tiny.

·
Registered
503 Posts
is the "knock" sound engine speed specific, or drivetrain speed specific, or only when the clutch is engaged?
if you pull the clutch and rev the engine do you still hear knocking?
it might always be there, but you only hear it at low gears because it isnt drowned out by the wind.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Did you change the oil when you got the bike? Reading through your posts I think for a non-mechanical person you should first read through this thread http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/72-technical-discussion/76132-storageology.html .

Next change your oil and Oil filter, clean the air filter box and replace the airfilter if it is dirty or damaged, finally get some "Mechanic-In-A-Can" such as Seafoam and add it to your gas tank (double or triple strength the dose the first time). Run the bike for 5-10 minutes then let the bike sit overnight to let the fuel treatment work on any deposits then run a full tank of gas through the bike, after that add a recommended amount of seafoam for the next tank full and ride some more.

Many on this forum will say to pull and clean the carbs then adjust them but if you don't have tools or know-how you can make things worse. Try the simple /hard to mess-up and cheap things first then move onto the more invasive steps as needed.

·
Registered
11,475 Posts
is the "knock" sound engine speed specific, or drivetrain speed specific, or only when the clutch is engaged?
if you pull the clutch and rev the engine do you still hear knocking?
it might always be there, but you only hear it at low gears because it isnt drowned out by the wind.
To me it sounds as if he is just lugging the motor. Try down shifting and increasing the rpm's and see if it goes away.

·
Premium Member
4,593 Posts
Did you change the oil when you got the bike? Reading through your posts I think for a non-mechanical person you should first read through this thread http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/72-technical-discussion/76132-storageology.html .

Next change your oil and Oil filter, clean the air filter box and replace the airfilter if it is dirty or damaged, finally get some "Mechanic-In-A-Can" such as Seafoam and add it to your gas tank (double or triple strength the dose the first time). Run the bike for 5-10 minutes then let the bike sit overnight to let the fuel treatment work on any deposits then run a full tank of gas through the bike, after that add a recommended amount of seafoam for the next tank full and ride some more.

Many on this forum will say to pull and clean the carbs then adjust them but if you don't have tools or know-how you can make things worse. Try the simple /hard to mess-up and cheap things first then move onto the more invasive steps as needed.
^^^^ I second this "Keep it Simple" :)

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Sounds like the carbs are flooding sometimes do to a sticky float. Because of that you probably have gas in your oil which is now causing clutch problems in shifting. Change your oil and oil filter and then add 3 oz of B12 carb cleaner to a full tank of gas. 1 oz/1 gal of gas. Then drive the bike so the B12 can do its job removing the gum build up in the jets and float pins. Hopefully after a tank, if not before, you should see a noticeable improvement.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sounds like skipping four dinners and stop driving bike into the ground, spend $200 on your mechanic for a true diagnose, rather guesses.
Preventive maintenance is always cheaper option than $1000 in repairs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone!!!

I added 4oz of B-12 cleaner to the engine as suggested and it seems to have helped quite a bit. I took it to a mechanic for a diagnostic and the prognosis is that the "Clutch Release Bearing" is making the knocking sound.

Would anyone be so kind as to tell me how much should I pay for such work? I got a quote, but want to make sure the work is priced right. Do not want to be a victim of my own ignorance. :lol:

Again, Thanks So Very Much

·
Registered
11,475 Posts
I added 4oz of B-12 cleaner to the engine as suggested and it seems to have helped quite a bit. I took it to a mechanic for a diagnostic and the prognosis is that the "Clutch Release Bearing" is making the knocking sound.

Would anyone be so kind as to tell me how much should I pay for such work? I got a quote, but want to make sure the work is priced right. Do not want to be a victim of my own ignorance. :lol:

I don't think your mechanic knows what is wrong and you should find someone else. I've never heard of a bad "clutch release bearing" on a Shadow. When exactly are you getting this knocking sound?

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Run another tank of treated fuel through it THEN take it to a reputable bike shop for an oil change & a tune-up. Don't expect it to be "cheap", expect a couple hundred dollars for a good job, but it will run better than you will ever be able to get it based on internet information. They will probably replace the air filter, fuel filter, plugs, and a bunch of other stuff you may or may not need, but you have no reference for needing. Once you establish this baseline, you'll be able to build confidence in your bike rather than questioning if it's your inexperience, the general behavior of the bike, or something is going wrong. It will be a few hundred dollars WELL SPENT.

Where are you located?

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts

I hope you meant that you added the B12 to the gas in the gas tank. You need to change the oil and oil filter ASAP before running the engine again to make sure you have proper engine and clutch lubrication. Your old oil and filter is now contaminated with fuel and needs to be replaced before further diagnostics are done. Time for you to invest in a repair manual (Clymer or Haynes) for the basics so you can learn and do your own basic interval maintenance such as oil and filter changes, spark plugs. air filter, battery, etc. It's not hard to do but does require one to follow directions and invest in the most common tools if you don't already have a tool box set-up. You'll be surprised how easy it becomes as you learn and gain experience and get to know your bike. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts