Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on my 1984 VT500C to get it running and running smoothly. In the process I'm running into a leaky carburetor hose and I'm not sure what it is. The hose runs between the two carburetors and specifically connects the float chambers.

What is the hose for? The manuals don't explain it. The hose nipple isn't ballooned on the end like the fuel hose is for clamping.

I also wanted to tell Stoopy thanks for the carb syncing description with pics. I used it yesterday and it solved a problem I've been chasing for over a week. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
hah, that's weird. My bike doesn't have the hose like that :|. Do you see the screw right there ? When you open the screw, gas will come out . I use it to make sure the gas was in the float bowls after I cleaned my carbs.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
if the hose goes to nothing It might be the vent hose. If the vent is leaking, it meant the floats are adjusted to high, flooding, or stuck open. If it's the fuels supply hose you will find out when you turn the key by the gas pouring on the gorund.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Solution?

From what's been said I believe the nipples the hose is connected to are just float chamber drains and that the fuel leak is caused by one of the screws not being tightened up to shut off the fuel from entering the hose. I think the hose is not needed.

·
Registered
167 Posts
From what's been said I believe the nipples the hose is connected to are just float chamber drains and that the fuel leak is caused by one of the screws not being tightened up to shut off the fuel from entering the hose. I think the hose is not needed.

Yup, you're right. Just tight those screws then you dont need the hose. :D
But you also need to check the screws too. It might be messed up from previous owner so the hose was there to prevent leaking.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
drains. there are usually o rings on the screws too, but the screws will bottom out anyway and shouldn't really need the o-rings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts