Honda Shadow Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK here is the questions. i went to a bike show this weekend. A number of venders were selling jackets that advertised a pistol pocket. I also found tank bags with pistol holsters built into the bag.
Carrying a pistol in a jacket is obviously a concealed weapon and requires a permit!!! Or is my assumption wrong ??
Carrying a pistol in a tank bag or saddle bag is a different story, maybe ??
When you stop for gas or at a restaurant do you carry the tank bag or saddle bag with you or leave it on the bike ??
What are the rules about crossing a state line while carrying a pistol ??
I know that none of us will plan to break the law. I'm just curious as to what is legal and what makes sense. They are not always the same..

· Registered
135 Posts
The definition of what constitutes a concealed weapon varies from state to state. You may wish to obtain "The Travlers Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States" by J. Scott Kappas. It will provide some guidance. Also see packing.org as a source of info.

· Registered
295 Posts
Ok, I'm just going to sit in my recliner with a bag of popcorn and watch how long before this thread gets locked....

· Registered
31 Posts
sbartos said:
Ok, I'm just going to sit in my recliner with a bag of popcorn and watch how long before this thread gets locked....
While the subject of carrying a firearm on a bike sometimes gets heated, it is bike related! :lol: :lol:

I'm with you, before long, the request for information will be filled with heated opinions.

Can you pass the popcorn?! :lol:

· Registered
818 Posts
sbartos said:
That's funny! :)

Anyone who wants to avoid a pesky CCW permit and carry a concealed handgun anywhere in the US only needs to find a small town they like (preferably with very little crime) and become a police officer there - all set!

Plus you can speed on your bike all over your new town as much as you want, and the other officers just wave and shake their heads when they realize it's you.

· Registered
540 Posts
LMFAO
Ill take some pop corn too.
been there done that. lol

I would also agree to get the book, laws differ ALOT

· Registered
3,761 Posts
Haze said:
Carrying a pistol in a jacket is obviously a concealed weapon and requires a permit!!! Or is my assumption wrong ??
Depends on the state. Most states, yes, it would be considered concealed
and you would need a permit.

Haze said:
Carrying a pistol in a tank bag or saddle bag is a different story, maybe ??
Again, different states have different rules.
Here in Georgia, the "extension of your home" only applies to a glove box of a vehicle.
A tank bag would still be considered concealed and you would need a permit.

Haze said:
When you stop for gas or at a restaurant do you carry the tank bag or saddle bag with you or leave it on the bike ??
When I have my pistol, it's ALWAYS on my person.
If it's on the bike, someone else potentially has access to it.
I and only I am responsible for what happens to that pistol.
If it's on the bike, I do not have control over it and I don't feel that
is very 'responsible'. If you leave a firearm on the bike while going
in to a restaurant, you're not responsible enough to be carrying one
in the first place. If you carry, you should be in total control of
that firearm at ALL times.

Haze said:
What are the rules about crossing a state line while carrying a pistol ??
That depends on reciprocity laws between states.
Some states honor the permits of other states. The laws of the state
you are in apply... not the state your permit was issued.
You'd need to contact your local Probate court or State Patrol office of the state you are traveling in to find out their rules and if they honor
your states permits.

When I'm on the bike, I generally just carry in an ankle holster.
Sometimes while riding and most of the time otherwise, I wear a
"Pager-Pal" holster.

BTW, be prepared to be called a over-zealous cowboy among other names
by some people who don't enjoy the freedom we have under the US Constitution and also the people who are completely against guns.
Even though it's not a gun control debate, it will likely turn in to that in the short term.

· Registered
540 Posts
When I have my pistol, it's ALWAYS on my person.
If it's on the bike, someone else potvest entially has access to it.
I and only I am responsible for what happens to that pistol.
If it's on the bike, I do not have control over it and I don't feel that
is very 'responsible'. If you leave a firearm on the bike while going
in to a restaurant, you're not responsible enough to be carrying one
in the first place. If you carry, you should be in total control of
that firearm at ALL times.

Agreed 1000% and to address one of the questions out of sight out of mind, If you have a CWP a vest or fanny pack is a good idea on a bike as it keeps it conceled when you get off and go in side where ever. and so I think a tank bag would be a bad idea.

· Registered
87 Posts
Xoolo said:
LMFAO
Ill take some pop corn too.
been there done that. lol

I would also agree to get the book, laws differ ALOT

Ditto that

If you look in the annuls of the forum history, you will see that I also "been there, done that" and had the thread locked at my request

· Registered
87 Posts
Jim in NW OH said:
I think you'll find the information you're looking for here:

http://www.packing.org/state/

I hope this helps!
This is a good source of info. When you are travelling through a state where your CCW is not honored it must be unloaded and in your trunk. If you don't have a trunk it must be unloaded and in a locked box.

· Registered
87 Posts
Darwin333 said:
Personal Opinion...

if your not a cop investigator or anything law inforcement related why carry one? why carry one when your riding?
For the very same reason police carry them.....for protection. Crimes are committed on a lot more private citizens than on the police.

· Super Moderator
6,550 Posts
sbartos said:
Not too much salt on my popcorn!
I've got a box of Goobers too............

· Banned
4,110 Posts
I don't understand the controversy...

Litnin obviously answered with a pretty thought-out response (as one example). There's just nothing here that warrants argument or thread locking.

I used to have a carry permit for PENNSYLVANIA, and I could answer the questions based on PENNSYLVANIA state law, but as was mentioned (I believe the second post) there are books and documents available to satisfy the requests and give better information across a broader range than any of us could based on our little geographical limitations.

The idea that this thread *could* justifiably get argumentative is just silly.

The question wasn't asking for a bunch of knuckle-headed best guesses, nor for any moral slant on the answers. Oh wait... that won't stop those answers from coming in. Nevermind.

· Registered
8,119 Posts
When it comes to legal issues such as CCW's your better off talking directly with your State authorities then relying on the interpretation of the gun laws on an internet forum site.

I cannot think of anyone on a forum these days who will bail you out if they give you the wrong advice and YOU use it.

Better to get it right from the horses mouth. A simple phone call will answer your questions.

Chris

· Super Moderator
6,550 Posts
Christopher said:
When it comes to legal issues such as CCW's your better off talking directly with your State authorities then relying on the interpretation of the gun laws on an internet forum site.
I cannot think of anyone on a forum these days who will bail you out if they give you the wrong advice and YOU use it.
Better to get it right from the horses mouth. A simple phone call will answer your questions.
Chris
Chris,
Excellent advice!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.