Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I was caught in a hail storm. YES, HAIL!! in July!!

When I left the house, it was sunny with some white puffy clouds moving in, the temp was 89*F. About 5 miles from home, the wind picked up, the temperature dropped, and skies got dark. About 8 miles from home it started to hail (about the size of marbles).

OUCH

Then a downpour - enough rain to make the street gutters run high.

I pulled over and found shelter in a community park, in the pavilion.

10 minutes later, the sun came out. Since I was not going anywhere specific, and I was now very wet - I decided to go home.

8 miles from home the wind started.

5 miles from home the hail started (marbles again).

3 miles from home - torrential rain, with nowhere to hide.

When I got home, it had not even rained at my house and the OL couldn't figure out why I was dripping all over the floor. :shock::-x

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yea, that happened to me a few weeks ago. It started to rain which normally doesn't bother me, but then I noticed hail stones bouncing off the windshield and off my face shield and the top of my helmet. Then my legs and arms started to get pelted and it really hurt. But the time I found a safe place to pull of the road and get shelter the hail had stopped and the rain stopped shortly afterwards. That's the first time I ever encounted a hail storm on a bike, but it could have been worse. When I got home the news was reporting one inch hail stones in my area.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
crazy stuff

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Could have been worse, hail could've been bigger.....g

·
Registered
561 Posts
Never experienced hail on a bike, and after reading this hope I never do!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I got caught in a hail storm in Montana years ago. Mountain on one side river on the other no cover anywhere. Just stopped put on my leather jacket and helmet and tried to be as thin as possible.

Now I'm standing there in 90 degree weather wearinig a heavy leather jacket and helmet sweating like crazy getting hit with little pieces of ice.

Tim

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Hail hurts! Haven't run into it on the bike, but have while out hiking. Sumbeech, it's like being the target for every paintballer in the world at the same time! Had an old '72 Merc Marquis Brougham, 429 PI motor, was headed across country a few years (30) back... had a U-Haul trailer behind. Had some overheating issues but no money to fix, so we took the hood off and put it in the trailer which got us by. Hit a hailstorm in Iowa, golf ball size, and it was trashing the engine compartment... jumped out, got the hood outta the trailer, laid over top of the engine compartment and waited it out. I had more bruised places on my body than I'd ever had before, from that hail, in just the few minutes it took to get the hood placed back over the engine. Damm! That stuff's NOTHING I want to ride in!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts