Honda Shadow Forums banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Finally back on track. Made some progress this weekend. Finished up the battery box with some slots for a strap and holes for wiring and drainage. Made a lid too; all steel. Very, very solid and will provide major protection in case of a battery 'accident' under that plastic seat fairing. Finished the box with bedliner paint for durability. The lid will be painted to match the frame. Also tidied up the rear hoop section. Next up will be an aluminum rear panel to act as a fender of sort.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Tonight's adventure was to fab a simple rear wheel shield. Some poster board, a couple of washers cut and spot welded to frame and a first run at the aluminum fitment. I'm going to redo it with some "fix-it" notations but the overall look and function seems good. Some lower portions may have to be trimmed once the swingarm is back in place. Funny how misshapen the frame is. Hell, the stock insertion tabs at the bottom that I'm sliding the panel into are about a 1/4" off in height.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I'm trying to stay on course again as I've had too many setbacks, haha. I cleaned up the design tonight. Ran the aluminum all the way up under the hoop. Cut tolerances are much tighter for a cleaner look. I also cut the 'tabs' at the bottom (top in pic; frame upside down) and will bolt the panel in instead. I'm going to find a local machine shop to bead roll a few lines into the panel. Tomorrow night I'll finish it with the mounting hardware.

Also got my front and rear wheel bearings, neck bearings and fork seals. :nerd:

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Okay, a couple more shots of the finished panel and I'll stop boring you with it. It's small enough to be very rigid once bolted in so I'm most likely not going to beam roll it now. Yey me - haha! I hoped to add some insulation in my garage attic this weekend, but I want my budget to go more into this bike; I still need to do something for exhaust and a seat cover. I have two different exhausts to 'work with', the Mac 4-into-2 ones and a set of stockers, neither of which will go with this build ... BUT ... I can use the header pipes. More thought needed. In the next few days I hope to have things sanded like the frame, wheels, tank and rear fender, and hopefully primed. I'm not certain about a front fender yet but most likely cutting and reshaping the stock one; might go flat black for the finish.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Your new C B "handle" will be ;
Commode Commander..............LOL
Thanks? I think?

Frustratingly, this weekend did not go as planned, but then when does it ever. I did manage to get the bearing races out of the steering neck. I also ground off the unsightly horn brackets on the front of the frame. I'm still retaining the horns, but they'll be relocated. Then, I started on the front forks. Somehow, I managed to strip the head of the allen bolt on the bottom of the fork (the bolt that disconnects the inner assembly). Dammit. No problem, I'll just drill and use an Easyout. Yeah, well broke the bit, managed to get the broken piece out but then ... yeah, broke the damn Easyout ... flush ... inside the stripped allen head ... down in a hole <<< which is a great Alice in Chains song ... so I played it and felt better. However, I let the bolt sit over night soaking in penetrating oil and then used a bigger drill bit to drill down the head. By this time I was frustrated because I also helped my neighbor move furniture today (unexpectedly) and my dad stopped over (unexpectedly) ... Day is gone, this blows, I'm tired. *throws hands in air, slams wrench down, makes fart sound with lips* Arrivederci for the evening; ACED IT HAS LEFT THE BUILDING.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
This weekend, busy as it was with OTHER stuff (always is) I did get to finally getting that damn bolt out. Forks now have new bolts and new washers. Soon new fluid and seals. I figured while the lowers were off I'd clean 'em up. I had thought about painting them, but I got a little carried away and this is what happened (see pics). 600 grit sandpaper on my drill attachment, followed by 1000 by hand, then some Flitz to polish and seal. Ooo, so purdy ...:nerd:

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
So, a buddy hit me up with a PM and in my response I shared a little about what is going on in life. Some know that my wife's mother moved in with us last month. Since then, she's been in the hospital 3 times and as of today she's going on day 9 of the last visit. Her kidneys are failing and she has pneumonia. She's making progress at getting better, but also has been on dialysis 3 times and just yesterday got out of surgery for fluid in her lungs. My wife and I have been at the hospital every night and some on the weekend. Needless to say I haven't been getting much done on my CB900 too. It's been a piecemeal project lately, haha ... grrrrrr ... haha. On top of all this, my wife has been sick (weak immune system) and my stepson has a throat infection. We're also closing on the house we bought across the street, but not until next week; but there's been a ton of **** to get done. Also been working at my dad's house ... basically I fix what 89 year old fool screws up, hehe. And I got this pain in the ass kid whose bike I've worked on; keeps bugging me to fix other things. It began as a favor for another friend, but now it's intrusive. I HATE BEING NICE! ;) ... I kid, he's a good guy; I'm just stretched as of late. Oh yeah, my job too has become more demanding from people leaving the company, and we're not even in season yet.

Okay, sorry for the sob stories. But in reality my time is short lately.

At least this sob story comes with an update. I finished rebuilding the forks and assembled them. Dammit if I can't find the air hose that goes between the upper fork bolts though! Gotta keep looking for it; ugh. I also got the seat back from the upholsterer. Super nice! I gotta stretch it a bit around the edges to straighten some of the curves due to the snaps. Nicely padded and the material is super smooth. Color matches the grips. Now also, you guys know me, I pursue things I can do on a budget and this bike is running down my budget; I still need an exhaust, and I have one in mind but it's not cheap. Nobody makes a braided brake line kit for the entire brake system. Yes, I could have one custom made through some companies, but then it gets pricey. Since the lines are in great shape, and for less than half the cost I'm using a high quality tight-wound stainless steel sleeving and covering them. First one done in a matter of minutes and it looks awesome. Can't wait to get painting!

Two problems I'm noticing as time goes on. I bought black rear shocks and black handlebars. I'm thinking now that chrome would look better and balance with the polished forks. I may have to rethink this. Minor details.

Pics:

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
So ... a buddy of mine at work just GAVE me this. He bought it for his bike but isn't going to use it. It's universal, but nice stainless quality and the angle is pretty sweet. I may locate a matching one and get some 2-1 collectors so I can use on both sides. I haz frendz. :smile2:

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Today we got my mother-in-law out of the hospital. YEY! She is doing well, but will have to have dialysis 3 times a week. Thank you for your thoughts everyone!

On to the update:

Well, decided I'm not going to use the free muffler. Maybe for another project. I want a full exhaust because the pipes I have from two sets are beyond salvage as for the finish. I'm not going with wrap on this bike either; I want it clean looking. I have a few I'm still considering. We'll see.

I "thought" I received my $20 worth of heat shrink tubing. Funny, this doesn't look like my order. Yeah, they screwed up and sent me someone else's. My receipt in the box is correct and what I paid for is correct, but this is definitely not what I ordered. Dammit. Phone call on Monday.

Now, in reality, I couldn't STAND what I did to the rear hoop with the solid panel welded in. I also had to fix the hoop as it was slightly twisted (most likely from welding), and when the seat-fender was on it, it was very noticeable (to me anyway). So I carved it out and left a little tab which will be the rear bolt area for the aluminum fender well. I'm happy now.

I had to modify the bug-eye tail light recess in the fender to seat the light a tad lower and flush.

And I also did a lot of sanding and priming today. I did not get to the tank or wheels; hopefully tomorrow. I'm seeing progress again.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Hmm. Well, tank is stripped and is a perfect candidate for a rather formalized industrial look. Problem is the rear seat fender is plastic and it'd be tough to replicate a match to the tank unless I built another out of metal or aluminum. Dammit. I hate the feeling of changing direction mid way through. What say Ye? Anyway, here's a striptease for you ...

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
to me, the Tank screams to be painted.... :mrgreen:
I'm gonna play around with the brush wheel a bit more to clean up the swirls. This was just the initial stripping. But I'm diggin' it.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
...never mind
Through the miracle of technology I was able to capture what you said before the edit, hehe, "What if you left the tank bare except a little bit of striping to tie in the painted rear?" - That's not a dumb idea, it's actually some out of the box thinking which is very inspiring and I like it. :smile2: Yeah, I called you out, but in a good way and I'm very appreciative of your input. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
So this happened ...

Which will allow this to progress ...

Then I'll use the model to shape the metal, and welding and grinding to follow. Yes, I'm going balls-deep into the raw metal look. It will be clean though, that I can assure you. I still have to make a template for the seat pan itself which will be a one piece overall design just like the bug-eye plastic one. I "may" save that one now for the CB750. Anyway, a redesigned rear hoop and the shape of the new seat fender will also allow this 900 to be lower in the rear, which is one of my targets since it was still a bit high in my first concept. Why was it so high? Well, if you compare the 900C to the 750's, the 900C being a shaft drive is a bit longer due to the design of the sub-transmission components. So being longer, the rear of the plastic seat fender, which was designed for the shorter 750's would only go so far without having to stretch the length of the seat area. So the hoop was just about over the center of the top most portion of the rear tire. The new design will permit more travel area under the fender, in turn I'll drop the bike a few inches in the rear. Yey!

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
The reason I said the Tank should be painted is to have it match the fenders and because I know you can Paint.

See how it looks when you are done working it. Without some sort of clear coat wouldn't it stain easily?
There will be paint in strategic areas. :wink2: Yes, there is already some surface rust forming, but that will get knocked out and cleared after I'm done forming the seat fender and some paint ideas.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 · (Edited)
pent some time this weekend redoing the original hoop I had made since the seat-fender is completely different. Extended the rear uppers, included some supports, made the tail light mount and integrated it into the frame (not the fender), and welded the rear fender to the seat plate. Much better design than what I had before; better looking too I think. This is going to give some nice clearance for the rear wheel upward travel thus allowing for a lower stance. Need to do some clean up, but for now so far, so good. Can't wait to start slappin' some paint on this.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
I've said this a million times over, my work is 10% do, 90% thought = ssslllooowwwwwwww. :laugh:

First, a short video demonstrating how my seat/fender/"hoop"/tail light/battery tray/electronics box is all put together.

Chugged away a bit more this weekend. I welded in some of the attachment nuts, created new ones for the seat/battery tray, made a simple bracket for the battery with wingnuts and finished up the electronics box with ports for the positive battery cable, rear brake light and turn indicators (still need to trim with grommets). I'm using the factory attachment areas for the original 'under seat crap' for the electronics box (shown raw, tabs need to be bend and bolts installed). I will be covering the battery tray in some cool felt which will reduce metal-to-metal abrasion. Also sprayed rubberized undercoating underneath the fender and inside the electronics box.

Why am I doing so much that will really never be seen? Because I can. :nerd:

21 - 40 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.