Honda Shadow Forums banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
Today I jumped around with no particular schedule. I had to make little brackets for the rear "winkers" as there was not have enough room to drill through the frame (in the triangle section) due to clearance between the top of the shock and the rear fender when mounted. They turned out great and the positioning is spot on where I wanted them - tucked nicely into a similar bullet shape again between the top of the shock and the rear fender. I'm also in the midst of wiring. After splicing the harness in a a strategic area I was able to reroute the cable to the starter and the wires to the stator up behind the carbs so they aren't seen running up the V-frame. Everything is tucked nicely into my electronics box after running the rear wiring as well. Positive and negative battery wires also needed to be custom cut/crimped and are done too. These run through the seat tray support as seen. I used some stainless steel micro-mesh to make screens for the velocity stacks. Lastly I relocated the rectifier directly under the bracket that was for the stock seat. A simple bracket and couple bolts was all that was needed. A few more pics tomorrow possibly. For now these:

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
So I took a short video of the electrical working (see below). I installed diodes in the wires leading to the single LED on the new speedo; worked like a charm. The new signals are not LED, but they are super bright! Hopefully this is the last time you'll see the under seat electronics box, but it's in its final state now. With this bike it isn't my intent to scale back things like on a bobber. Instead I'm using the stock handlebar switches and yes still have a horn, but I relocated the twin-horns to under the tank directly above the carbs. While they are not seen (originally in front) they are plenty loud! I also cleaned up the nasty looking carb diaphragm covers. This coming weekend (maybe some nights leading to) I hope to finalize all bolt torques and work on the exhaust. If money permits, I may have the headers ceramic coated, but that's a big "if". In any event, it's getting close now!

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 · (Edited)
Focused this weekend on going over every bolt and tightening to spec. I had this OCD thing going on with the choke knob and decided to center it between the new gauges by creating a simple bracket; perfect fit with relation to cable length. I then started on the exhaust. As I stated early on, I'm repurposing the Mac 4-into-2 header portions. When I bought the new mufflers I also got some 2-into-1 collectors and some extra pipe. I had to cut the inside Mac headers down a couple inches to match up with the outers, then welded on the new collectors. I still have to weld on the extra pipe to fit the mufflers, then make some brackets. After everything is complete, I'll grind down the welds a bit for a smoother surface and I'm thinking high-heat exhaust black for the finish on the pipes, leaving the stainless muffler. Should be pretty.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
A little more work last night. Bent the exhaust pipes to the correct angle I want. The little Harbor Freight pipe bender did just fine for this, even without stuffing the pipe with sand and capping the ends. The crimp is acceptable and still needs to be cut down to size. Then I'll be on to fabbing the muffler hangers.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
Latest update here.

I had to wait to receive a new exhaust collar joint. Just one. One freakin' collar. Yeah, apparently when I went to install the exhaust I noticed one collar wasn't right. Dammit. I should have seen that when I disassembled the bike 7 months ago. Doesn't even close up correctly; so didn't put that back in. Got the new collar Friday; yey.

Got everything back together yesterday. First things first, I'm not thrilled with my welds on the exhaust. The weld beads on the brackets to the mufflers are gorgeous, but apparently I still have trouble with cylindrical parts welding thus the collectors and the exhaust end pipe. I ground down the welds and I think they got a bit thin. Time will tell, but I may redo them by ordering new collectors; not expensive, but just time consuming having to rework things because they don't meet my personal standards. On top of that, the manifold paint I used for the exhaust is super easy to flake off, apparently because it needs to be cured by the heat of the exhaust. But getting the pipes on without scratching was a real project; and I've had them on and off a few times. Why? Because the exhaust stud that I had retapped and replaced spun again. So I had to fix that ... again. After tightening down the exhaust it seems to be holding quite well now. All-in-all, after reworking the pipes in the near future I may have them ceramic coated. We'll see.

Moving on - So last night I fueled her up, turned the petcock and major leak from it. Now, Honda wants you to buy another petcock if it leaks from the knob. This I know because the front plate is riveted. Yeah, well you know me; screw that. Drilled those rivets out, ground down the stems that are one piece formed with the housing, replaced the bad O-ring, drilled holes through the housing and riveted it closed. Perfect. Done. Well, not really. Went to start the bike and few attempts later she fired up. YES, I STARTED THE BIKE! But then ... major fuel leak again! But not from the petcock. After scrutinizing the carbs, the fuel was coming out through two areas on the fuel crossover tubes between the carb bodies. Folks, this is what will happen to old fuel O-rings that have been sitting dry for nearly a year. Nasty, brittle, and shrunken. So had to tear down the carbs again and replace all the O-rings. I thought I had done that, but apparently it was another carb. I'm getting mixed up lately, haha! Okay, so got them back together and installed again.

Used my new carb-sync gauges for the first time; worked like a charm! Took some time, but I was able to dial her in just right. Beautiful sound from those mufflers! I still have to do some more tuning and road test; then I'm sure I'll have to play with carb needle heights, etc. Hell, I still have to fill the brake lines and bleed! Haha! I may also go ahead and order shims so I can adjust the valves. I did notice when I inspected them that cylinder four needed to be adjusted, but it's not bad so I closed her up and continued. But stuff like that bothers me, so ... ya know.

I'll get a video up soon.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
Big day yesterday! No, not Valentines Day. No, not my five year wedding anniversary ... Okay, well yes to that.

However, my second love enjoyed her first time out of the stable today! This '82 Honda CB900C is not the same bike she used to be; and that's a good thing! Minor things to still do. I had removed the mirrors for some work I was doing; maybe make a front fender (small, flat black) and some minor tuning adjustments after some road testing. Thinking about a pinstripe around the edge of the rims and possibly re-clearcoating the paint. I'm not happy with the brand I used this time; I may have mentioned that before. Yes, I'm a perfectionist, LOL! Oh yeah, and I completely forgot to shorten the kickstand, haha. Today was around the block a few times. No tag; have to still make a holder, again LOL! My neighbor took these shots at her house. Bike sounds killer and power is on tap! Got her through 4 gears on a long stretch down my road. Smooth! A little lean on decel, but I'll fine tune it this week.

I've included some of the progress pics of the exhaust too. As I mentioned before, I re-purposed the Mac 4-into-2 headers and welded on some couplings I bought through Cone Engineering, bent the rear exhaust upward and installed the megaphones. Also for additional stability I made support brackets for under the bike. I am quite proud of my welding on this bike project. A little spatter on the pipes, but that cleaned right up ... But look at that penetration! ;) LOVE the growl out of these mufflers too! The VHT Flame Proof finish is now officially baked on and looks great. And will you look at my custom jack handles! Haha!

No video yet, but soon.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
Preliminary video. I say preliminary because she's still on the lift here and wasn't quite dialed in yet. However, sound is glorious, so enjoy. It helps to have a decent sound system because the bass IS quite prevalent. :nerd:

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
Part of my lowering the front end included lowering the bike on the forks, thus pushing the fork tops through the top tree about an inch. But doing that I couldn't use the air hose that connects one fork cap to the other because the hose runs under the fuse box/ignition key housing. The fork design uses air pressure to allow the rider to adjust dampening. I considered new caps and just doing away with the air assist. As an easy fix (albeit temporary) I plugged the holes with a couple bolts. But the forks are mushy and the front dives a bit more than I wanted on braking. I considered putting in a little more fork oil or a heavier weight oil, but I really wanted to keep the air adjustable forks in all their retro-classic glory. So I found another air hose on Ebay for $8 shipped, and headed over to the hardware store and got a threaded coupler. I needed an 8mm x 1.00 thread, but they had no metric ones. Instead I got a close standard thread and just re-threaded it with my tap. By connecting the two hoses I now had perfect length to go around the front of the gauges. Put about 8lbs in her and the forks are noticeably stiffer again. I may install another coupler to extend it a bit further and tuck the hose down under the gauges.

PS - As I near completion on this build, I want to thank all of you including the mods. I realize this thread has not been specifically "Shadow" related, but I'm guessing in the interest of things I've done in the past you're just tolerating it, lol! I've got a CB750 waiting in the wings, but I'll have to sell this bike first. Hey, I'm Aced It dammit! Right? :wink2:

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 · (Edited)
So, Aced It, what does that do? Equalize the oil between the fork tubes? Is that really necessary? Does it make the bike ride better?
Fork oil does not compress, but air does. With no added air pressure, the front dives too much in my opinion. By adding air pressure it equalizes and stiffens the dampening between the forks. You could effectively just add another Schrader valve to the other fork and fill them both, but obviously this way it distributes the pressure evenly which is how Honda intended it. Does not take much, 11-16psi, 16 being the maximum Honda recommends. But it makes a considerable difference in fork dive, so I just adjust it where it feels comfortable. The CB900C came with this feature. Due to some of my modifications I had to figure a new route for the hose, thus I extended it and ran it under the front of the gauges. Note as well, the rear shocks I installed are also adjustable via the reservoirs. The stock rear shocks as well had air adjustable shocks factory.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
For some reason I haven't been able to update here from Chrome. So anyway, here are my latest updates:

2/26/16 - I just ordered the tag renewal this morning, so no highway use yet. I don't have enough back-roads here to get her running up to 5th gear and then some. Meanwhile, I've really only been focusing on it on the weekends and just nitpicking all kinds of little things. Bah, I feel like it will never be done, haha! One thing I'm really up in the air about is the aluminum shield I put under the seat in front of the rear tire. I don't really like it, yet I feel something needs to be there. I've considered a tire hugger (under-fender) like on some sport bikes, but haven't dove into that just yet. We'll see. Might even leave it off altogether, but then I'll have to grind off the tabs I originally welded on. Decisions.

2/28/16 - So, before and after minus the aluminum mud-guard I had made. Yeah, I hated it, haha! But on to the hugger now. I had an old plastic fender laying around; some of you may have seen it hanging in my garage in various pictures throughout the years. I recall it being from some Yamaha - a front fender. Well, time to put it to use. I cut it in half and heated it to expand the width. I'm going to mount it from under the swingarm as it is shown. I have to fabricate brackets for it but I think it's going to work out nicely. This will open up the area from that claustrophobic wall I started out with. It will be painted black so as to slightly disappear like the front fender. I'll also have to grind off the tabs I welded on the frame; little bit of touch up paint oughta do it. Also awaiting the arrival of a new starter clutch from a Yamaha R6. With a little modification that will resolve the pesky and temperamental starter problem ... terrible design Honda, you and your wimpy three-roller design, terrible. Bad Honda, bad. Look at all that goodness (last pic)!

3/3/16 - I recently upgraded my starter clutch on the CB900C project. The factory units on these old CB's are prone to "failure". My bike is a 1982 CB900C, but as for my limited knowledge these same starter clutches are used throughout multiple years of the CB750, CB900 and CB1100's. I researched quite a bit to find that some have been using the bearing assembly and flange from a late model Yamaha R6, in my case a 2009. I could not find a decent video showing detail; maybe I missed it. So I created one, albeit crude in nature but still gives the enthusiast an idea of what to look for in this modification. I do not get down to the nitty-gritty of tools and how to drill holes. If one cannot figure that out, maybe said one should have others wrench on their scoot. Hey, it was late, I was tired and my words are fumbly and unprocessed ;) Anyway, I hope this assists anybody looking to do this.

3/5/16 - Starter clutch is just pristine. Sounds a bit different on start-up, which is a good thing. Quiet and responsive. No issues after multiple starts today. BAM!

Next, raised the needles in the carbs a notch. Big difference there as she was a bit lean. 3-1/2 turns out on the pilots (from previous setting); will review plugs tomorrow and may adjust a bit inward. But it's where I want her and it screams!

Then I focused on that monstrosity of a "mudguard" that I had previously made. It was more like a wall and looked better in my mind when in the early stages of this build. However, using that fender from the Yamaha I mentioned before I came up with this (see pics). I fabricated a bracket and painted it. It's solid and looks WAY much better. Happy day.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
A couple of final touches I recently did. I sanded and re-cleared the paint because I was not happy with the brand of clear I used this time. It just lacked gloss. So after some redo time and wet-sanding and polish, she's dressed to kill. I then fabricated a metal tampon, haha, a "heat shield" from a scrap stainless steel dishwasher door panel. I installed this on the top exhaust pipe under the shift peg(s). Turned out really nice in my opinion; it's rock sturdy and no accidental boot burn. I also shaved the knee grips because I thought they looked a little too tacked on as opposed to blending with the tanks flow.

Had her on the highway this weekend finally. Up to 90 and pulling strong. Damn it's a powerfully smooth ride! Shame to sell her, but I must move on. Looking to final clean up this weekend and better pics given weather conditions. Hopefully advertising within the next couple weeks, so if you know anyone in the market for a cafe-muscle scoot, lemme know!

Before:

After:

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 · (Edited)
End of build! Well, officially. I've been done for a couple weeks or so, just minor touch-ups and detailing. On Ebay yesterday :) Honda CB | eBay :smile2:

Couldn't be happier with the transformation. Videos below (and in ad). My wife wouldn't go with me to shoot a ride-by video because she's been sick. Weather was too good, so I did the best I could without a ride-by.

Before

After

Walk Around Part 1

Walk Around Part 2

Startup and Rev (sound)

Indicators and Lights

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 · (Edited)
Sold today! Happy buyer here in the pic!

Funny too, he was referred to me by my coworker who posted the Ebay link on the Harley Davidson forums. Thanks for following. On to the next project :)

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
Real Nice! Great work! ..After a year and a half of your life putting that bike together.. Don't you have a hard time watching it go?
Absolutely. It's the first time I got to see somebody on the bike riding it. It was just too cool! I'll miss the bike; a real screamer >:)

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
Nice work Scott. Ready for another rebuild?
Yes Sir! I have that 80 CB750F waiting. But I may just get the motor out of the Intruder and see what can be done to get that thing running and flipped. :nerd:

61 - 77 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.