Honda Shadow Forums banner
101 - 120 of 184 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Oooooo, so pretty! Got my exhaust components from Cone Engineering. Beautiful stuff, just look at it ......

Hey wait ... that's not right. :serious:

Yeah, wrong size sent. I ordered the 18" mufflers and they sent the 12's. I called and they're issuing an RMA. They will send out the 18's when these get back to them. So unfortunately it'll be another 2 weeks before I see them because it's just not in my budget to buy another set and wait for a refund on these. Lucky I'm not at the point of solely waiting on these. Good company and very professional service. Obviously a mix-up in shipping. :crying:

·
Premium Member
8,934 Posts
....Which, would put delivery almost a year to the day, since you started this thread! Was just meant to be! ;) .. :)

..They look real good tho'! Gonna be worth the wait!

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
....Which, would put delivery almost a year to the day, since you started this thread! Was just meant to be! ;) .. :)

..They look real good tho'! Gonna be worth the wait!
Oh $h!t, has it been that long??

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Oooooo, so pretty! Got my exhaust components from Cone Engineering. Beautiful stuff, just look at it ......

Hey wait ... that's not right. :serious:

Yeah, wrong size sent. I ordered the 18" mufflers and they sent the 12's. I called and they're issuing an RMA. They will send out the 18's when these get back to them. So unfortunately it'll be another 2 weeks before I see them because it's just not in my budget to buy another set and wait for a refund on these. Lucky I'm not at the point of solely waiting on these. Good company and very professional service. Obviously a mix-up in shipping. :crying:
6" short. The story of my life:confused:

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
6" short. The story of my life
Haha!

Update today: I finished the brake line braiding. Also covered the battery tray/electronics lid/seat support, (whatever you want to call it) in the felt I bought a while ago. I covered the belly of it too; I just show it not finished in one of the pics below. Doesn't show too well in the pics, but it's got fine bits of glitter in it. I know, big deal, no one sees it, haha! That's me! Anyway, the purpose of it is to keep the painted/cleared surfaces from marring (once I get paint/clear down).

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Laid down the base coat today. I tried working with the bare metal scheme but reverted back to the original thought as the two different metals (tank vs. fender) wouldn't match up in texture, etc. I had forgotten to drill holes for the seat snaps. And of course in doing so after paint, wouldn't ya know it, chipped a piece putting on the last snap. Fix and repaint tomorrow. Then painting the gold stripes and clear coat which will enrich the color(s). The gold will also minimize and balance the plethora of green. :grin2:

Primer:

Base Coat:

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
I'm really not thrilled with this green right now; looks too "kelly green" and blah. I went to the paint shop today and chose a different green. It's darker and has metallic in it. Unfortunately they were out of the silver metallic base to mix the color, so I have to wait until Wednesday. I did however get some holes drilled in the wheels to enhance and lighten the visual appeal a bit. They'll get primed and hopefully painted tomorrow.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
Laid down the base coat today. I tried working with the bare metal scheme but reverted back to the original thought as the two different metals (tank vs. fender) wouldn't match up in texture, etc. I had forgotten to drill holes for the seat snaps. And of course in doing so after paint, wouldn't ya know it, chipped a piece putting on the last snap. Fix and repaint tomorrow. Then painting the gold stripes and clear coat which will enrich the color(s). The gold will also minimize and balance the plethora of green. :grin2:

Primer:

Base Coat:

Like the colors, that seat and the paint, looks nice.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Like the colors, that seat and the paint, looks nice.
Thanks.

I have in my mind a certain look based on an old ASC Cobra I saw a few years ago at a show. I've had a few obstacles (in my mind) that have veered the course of this project many times. But yes, sticking with the green albeit a different one soon. Like I said, going with a darker green with metallic.

Today involved replacing wheel bearings, front and rear, and installing the neck races. I debated about the wheel bearings since they were perfect when I rode it last. Nothing like bringing an old bike up to modern standards. The OEM bearings from 1982 have no back seal to them, I'd imagine so they can be repacked over time. As we know, the new styles are sealed. The OEM bearings do look clean though.

I also primed the wheels and frame. Man, it's good to see things at least uniform in color at this point, haha! Frame will be dark gray. Seeing those wheels in white brings me back to another thought I had when I first got the bike in that I was contemplating a white and blue theme, like a Shelby Cobra/Mustang. They look so clean finally! Can't wait to get the painting done.

All Balls left; OEM right:

Primed frame:

Front wheel:

Rear wheel:

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
Thanks.

I have in my mind a certain look based on an old ASC Cobra I saw a few years ago at a show. I've had a few obstacles (in my mind) that have veered the course of this project many times. But yes, sticking with the green albeit a different one soon. Like I said, going with a darker green with metallic.

Today involved replacing wheel bearings, front and rear, and installing the neck races. I debated about the wheel bearings since they were perfect when I rode it last. Nothing like bringing an old bike up to modern standards. The OEM bearings from 1982 have no back seal to them, I'd imagine so they can be repacked over time. As we know, the new styles are sealed. The OEM bearings do look clean though.

I also primed the wheels and frame. Man, it's good to see things at least uniform in color at this point, haha! Frame will be dark gray. Seeing those wheels in white brings me back to another thought I had when I first got the bike in that I was contemplating a white and blue theme, like a Shelby Cobra/Mustang. They look so clean finally! Can't wait to get the painting done.

All Balls left; OEM right:

Primed frame:

Front wheel:

Rear wheel:
Awwww bet it's going to look awesome, i have always liked your work. Nice progress man, yeah, by the time it comes to paint it means being very close to be done, which is always a nice time in a project.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Thanks man. Hehe, I still have engine things to do like valve job and strip/paint stuff. I also have to build the exhaust. The correct mufflers should be here by the end of the week. Then once it's back together I have to tune her too. :nerd:

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
Thanks man. Hehe, I still have engine things to do like valve job and strip/paint stuff. I also have to build the exhaust. The correct mufflers should be here by the end of the week. Then once it's back together I have to tune her too. :nerd:
OMG, your in charge of the whole "Orchestra" at once, playing all the instruments. That's total restoration immersion! Orgasmic ...!

hahaha it's ALL good :D

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Picked up the new green. Not a great picture as it's under fluorescent lighting and with my flash. I'll get a better shot later when the sun is out. Just a tad different from the intestinal slurry I previously put down, haha. The gold I already had. Also, got all the little pieces and frame prepped for gray now. I'd like to spray them tonight, but we'll see how it goes. The gray is a single stage (so no clear needed). When I redo the tins and proceed to the wheels I'll have to work within a limited time frame due to masking and clear. That may have to wait until the weekend.

New metallic green:

Frame and small parts ready:

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
progress. Would you like hurry up ;-)
I say that every day. :grin2:

Finally though, frame, rear drive assembly, swingarm and misc. components painted. I realized during this that my fan and filter are just way too small. It got foggy real quick, haha; but I do wear a respirator. I ran right down to an empty container.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
I spend Halloween a little different. I pretend I'm a motorcycle ... VROOM-VROOM! - New green, laid down the gold. I'm in love and it's not even cleared yet. The clear will bring out the metallic. Still doing a bit more in the way of pinstriping, then clear ... tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
8,934 Posts
Suck up...
...oOOoOooOoo... That's Right!! Halloween! When all the Lil' Spooky Critters take to the street, head over to Theej's house, and leave their K-12 cooties all over the place!

>:) ... I-mean ... :frown2: ... ... :grin2:

...Not going to wish the thread a HaPpY BiRtHdAy Theej'? ...

101 - 120 of 184 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.