Honda Shadow Forums banner
141 - 160 of 184 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
Thank-you guys!

Had a minor creative disaster recently. I chose to paint all the engine covers gray and then matte clear them. In my mind I thought the contrast with the gray frame would look good. ... Nope. So bad, I forgot to take pictures, haha! Anyway, after some thought I decided to bring the body color down into the engine area. Some paint, some masking, some detail brushing and clear. Viola!









Me. Waiting between clearcoat. Oh Santa, please bring me a larger compressor so I don't have to hear this damn thing running all the time, haha!


 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,934 Posts
Man, that's some sweeeet paint! ;) .. :) ... And ..Sorry I missed your post.. Absolutely.. All the best, and prayers to your family.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
Got quite a bit done in the past few days. I received my rotors back from truedisk.net and they are beautiful! Tom is a great guy to do business with, and just to shoot the sheeyat. Cross-drilled the stock rotors, had them resurfaced and checked for true. I also stripped the black powdercoat.

I got the engine back into the frame and started some other assemblies, and now I finally have a roller! I have new brake pads on the way, so no calipers on her yet.

Today consisted of wet-sanding and buffing all the painted surfaces.
















And now for a little sneak peek:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,011 Posts
You know...I wasn't totally onboard with the gold wheels...paired with green, I was less of a fan (screw you, Green Bay!), but that looks really sharp!

I'd rather see the green in "Go Gophers" maroon, but nobody's perfect! ;)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
Today I jumped around with no particular schedule. I had to make little brackets for the rear "winkers" as there was not have enough room to drill through the frame (in the triangle section) due to clearance between the top of the shock and the rear fender when mounted. They turned out great and the positioning is spot on where I wanted them - tucked nicely into a similar bullet shape again between the top of the shock and the rear fender. I'm also in the midst of wiring. After splicing the harness in a a strategic area I was able to reroute the cable to the starter and the wires to the stator up behind the carbs so they aren't seen running up the V-frame. Everything is tucked nicely into my electronics box after running the rear wiring as well. Positive and negative battery wires also needed to be custom cut/crimped and are done too. These run through the seat tray support as seen. I used some stainless steel micro-mesh to make screens for the velocity stacks. Lastly I relocated the rectifier directly under the bracket that was for the stock seat. A simple bracket and couple bolts was all that was needed. A few more pics tomorrow possibly. For now these:















 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
So I took a short video of the electrical working (see below). I installed diodes in the wires leading to the single LED on the new speedo; worked like a charm. The new signals are not LED, but they are super bright! Hopefully this is the last time you'll see the under seat electronics box, but it's in its final state now. With this bike it isn't my intent to scale back things like on a bobber. Instead I'm using the stock handlebar switches and yes still have a horn, but I relocated the twin-horns to under the tank directly above the carbs. While they are not seen (originally in front) they are plenty loud! I also cleaned up the nasty looking carb diaphragm covers. This coming weekend (maybe some nights leading to) I hope to finalize all bolt torques and work on the exhaust. If money permits, I may have the headers ceramic coated, but that's a big "if". In any event, it's getting close now!










 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 · (Edited)
Focused this weekend on going over every bolt and tightening to spec. I had this OCD thing going on with the choke knob and decided to center it between the new gauges by creating a simple bracket; perfect fit with relation to cable length. I then started on the exhaust. As I stated early on, I'm repurposing the Mac 4-into-2 header portions. When I bought the new mufflers I also got some 2-into-1 collectors and some extra pipe. I had to cut the inside Mac headers down a couple inches to match up with the outers, then welded on the new collectors. I still have to weld on the extra pipe to fit the mufflers, then make some brackets. After everything is complete, I'll grind down the welds a bit for a smoother surface and I'm thinking high-heat exhaust black for the finish on the pipes, leaving the stainless muffler. Should be pretty.













 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
A little more work last night. Bent the exhaust pipes to the correct angle I want. The little Harbor Freight pipe bender did just fine for this, even without stuffing the pipe with sand and capping the ends. The crimp is acceptable and still needs to be cut down to size. Then I'll be on to fabbing the muffler hangers.





 
141 - 160 of 184 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top