Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
The 1988 Shadow 600 is a single crankpin engine with 52 degrees between the cylinders so spark spacing would be 360-52=308 degrees and then again 360+52=412 degrees later.

The 1988 Shadow 1100 with dual crank pins has a spark spacing 225 degrees and then 495 degrees later. I have seen some of these engines only have a single pickup off the crank to fire the ignition so I am assuming the ignition must take the spark spacing into account. For that reason, I would guess the 600 ignition and 1100 ignition would not be interchangable. :cry:

Someone more knowledgeable will correct this if my assumptions are incorrect. :wink:

Dave

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
The VLX does not have CDI ignition, it has a standard dual coil setup.

If they will physically fit and the primary voltage has the same specs (100v minimum) and the pulse generators have the same specs (.7v minimum)
AND the 1100 has dual pulse generators, yes they would work.

The coils have nothing to do with spark spacing.
The coils only fire when the pulse generators provide the current tell
the Ignition Control Module when to collapse the primary coil in the "ignition coil".
The spark spacing is determined by the placing of the magnets and
the pulse generators AND by the ignition control module (which also handles ignition advance and retard).

·
Registered
932 Posts
litnin said:
The spark spacing is determined by the placing of the magnets and
the pulse generators AND by the ignition control module (which also handles ignition advance and retard).
litnin,
Thanks for this clarification. I noticed the older 1100s appear to have two pulse generator pickups which I assume is one for each cylinder whereas the 1997 and newer Spirits have only one generator pickup. Does this mean that the spacing between the sparks for each cylinder is handled in the ignition control module?
Thanks.
Dave

·
Registered
152 Posts
Litnin,

I assume the two crank sensors are to fire each cylinder, when doing the timing advance mod, how important is it to get them both advanced the SAME amount?

seems it be detrimental to the engine to have them inconsistant?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
ShadowDave said:
litnin,
Thanks for this clarification. I noticed the older 1100s appear to have two pulse generator pickups which I assume is one for each cylinder whereas the 1997 and newer Spirits have only one generator pickup. Does this mean that the spacing between the sparks for each cylinder is handled in the ignition control module?
Thanks.
Dave
Not really.... With a single pulse generator, that usually is a good
indication that the system is a "wasted spark" system.
The pulse generator would still have the ICM fire when the magnet
passes the pickup, but the ICM would fire both cylinders at the same time.
But since one cylinder would be on the exhaust stroke, only one
spark is going to actually be used.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
OzarkJeep said:
Litnin,

I assume the two crank sensors are to fire each cylinder, when doing the timing advance mod, how important is it to get them both advanced the SAME amount?

seems it be detrimental to the engine to have them inconsistant?
Well, obviously, you want them as close as possible to the same BTDC
as you can get them, but it's not super critical if they are 1/2* off or so.

When the charged cylinder fires, the other cylinder is dead weight at that
point and doesn't really care when the other cylinder fires, providing
the firing cylinder has enough power to get the other cylinder back up on
compression stroke. It could be a couple of 1/2 - 1 degree not hurt anything, but for maximum efficiency, you definitely want them as
close as you can. It probably wouldn't hurt anything or even be noticable
by a couple of degrees. Just guessing, but probably after 4 degrees
or so, I'm guessing you'd start getting some harmonic imbalances
that might give you some issues.

·
Registered
932 Posts
This link below lists the ServiceHonda.com web site which can provide a good cross reference check of which other bikes used the same ignition box.

See the Mar 01, 2007 post by Gumpy

http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41934&highlight=crossreference

It takes a little getting used to, but for the 1988 Honda 1100 you could look up the igniton box (it is under the battery schematic) and it will list part crossreferences.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
banjotickler said:
The local honda dealer says the CDI box is shot so do I have to junk the bike as I can't seem to get a CDI box anywhere, what would be the solution for this ?

Thanks
Well, again, it's not a CDI box.
If the dealer is calling it that, you might want a second opinion.
They may indeed be diagnosing it correctly, but you think they'd know
what it is.

The ignition control module for the '88 is part # 30410-MR1-611

List price is $514. Service Honda has it listed for $339.52.

There is currently an '88 ignition module listed on eBay Here

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Will this one at ebay for the 600 shadow work ok for the 1988 VT1100, there is none in stock and they said cannot get one any longer at service honda, looks like honda is not supporting there older shadow VT's for some reason :(

thx for the help

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
banjotickler said:
Will this one at ebay for the 600 shadow work ok for the 1988 VT1100, there is none in stock and they said cannot get one any longer at service honda, looks like honda is not supporting there older shadow VT's for some reason :(

thx for the help
Oh! Sorry, I was thinking you were looking for a 600 unit.
I went back and read and noticed you are looking for the 1100.

I don't know if they will work or not, I'd have to look at the specs on the 1100 to see.

I'll keep an eye out and post an 1100 if I see one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.