Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read that I should clean my chain every 500 miles. Ive ridden the bike a little over 500 and not sure when the guy I bought the bike from did it so im going to clean my chain tomorrow. Ive got a can of degreaser and a can of teflon lubericant. I scrub after applying the degreaser but not the lub right? And i dont have a middle stand or back tire jack just a side kick stand so do i have to do section by section and push the bike to rotate the chain? Any tricks?

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Why would you clean a chain? I rode my 2001 VLX 18,000 miles, lubing the chain every 1,000 miles or so and never cleaned the chain. Seems to me, if you have an O-ring or X-ring chain, you will eventually rupture the rings by actively cleaning it, thus significantly shortening the life of the chain. If anything, I would use a spray cleaner that won't harm the rings to get the grime off but nothing more. Just my .02 worth.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why would you clean a chain? I rode my 2001 VLX 18,000 miles, lubing the chain every 1,000 miles or so and never cleaned the chain. Seems to me, if you have an O-ring or X-ring chain, you will eventually rupture the rings by actively cleaning it, thus significantly shortening the life of the chain. If anything, I would use a spray cleaner that won't harm the rings to get the grime off but nothing more. Just my .02 worth.
Let me rephrase that, when i say clean the chain i mean lubing it. Didnt know I really needed to clarify on that. And the owners manual even says every 500 miles.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
I read that I should clean my chain every 500 miles. Ive ridden the bike a little over 500 and not sure when the guy I bought the bike from did it so im going to clean my chain tomorrow. Ive got a can of degreaser and a can of teflon lubericant. I scrub after applying the degreaser but not the lub right? And i dont have a middle stand or back tire jack just a side kick stand so do i have to do section by section and push the bike to rotate the chain? Any tricks?
Let me rephrase that, when i say clean the chain i mean lubing it. Didnt know I really needed to clarify on that. And the owners manual even says every 500 miles.
Hmmmmmmmmmm...well, communication does rely on words. Thanks for the clarification.

H*ll, you can LUBE it every 50 miles if you want. Might get another 1,000-2,000 miles out of it in the long run. Maybe not. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Well cleaning and lubing are not the same thing, so yes the proper choice of words means everything in this instance. Lubing the chain every 500 miles makes sense. Cleaning it every 500 does not.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Sounds to me like you are on the right track. Get all the external chain lube off. Apply the teflon, I use Dupont Multi-Purpose Teflon on my one remaining chain. With teflon the chain stays clean. Every 2-3 rides spray teflon on a rag and wipe the exposed part of the chain. Takes about 2 mins. Oh yeh, don't over tighten the chain, in my experience over tightning is a fast way to kill an O-ring chain.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.