Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
1998 750 Shadow ACE VT750CD2
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I鈥檇 take the Shadow out for a short spin, warm up the chain and clean and lube it again. This is what I found!

Crankset Automotive tire Gear Bicycle part Bicycle chain

I was SHOCKED at how quickly the aluminum can go south! The adjustment was getting toward the end of its range. So, I guess it shouldn鈥檛 be unexpected. I plan to replace it with a 38T steel sprocket. I will also replace to countershaft 17T rubber dampened sprocket and the chain with an X-ring chain. I鈥檝e heard guys steering away from the clip style master links in favor of the swedged or riveted ones. That would mean a chain breaking tool as well. Any suggestions on where best to get all of this?
Thanks in advance. 馃榿

Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
I thought I鈥檇 take the Shadow out for a short spin, warm up the chain and clean and lube it again. This is what I found!

View attachment 301346

WOW! Yeah, looks a little overdue for the new chain and sprockets. You can get your needed parts from your Local independent bike shop if you have one. Otherwise there's always the online shops, just need to shop around for best price on the whole package.

Reactions: "Captain D"

Registered
1998 750 ACE
I didn`t keep track of how many times I`ve changed mine in the 175,000 on the clock...
I wish I had,
Dennis

JT Sprockets every time and several brand/type of chain...

Registered
1998 750 Shadow ACE VT750CD2
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn`t keep track of how many times I`ve changed mine in the 175,000 on the clock...
I wish I had,
Dennis

JT Sprockets every time and several brand/type of chain...
I have just 29K on mine. In all your experience, what would you suggest? Dampened or solid front sprocket and what for a chain?

Registered
1998 750 ACE
I go to the HONDA/powersports shop and we look in the book...
I`ve tried X, & O rings, both served me well...

Dampened 17T counter sprocket 38T rear, Both are JT...

I have used non-dampened too,'
Dennis

Don`t remember name brands on them chains

Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
I have a Stockton brand chain breaker/rivet tool from Cycle Gear. Works good. Not top of the line, but with only two dirt bikes in the garage, it's gonna last longer than me.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC has their Tusk brand which I'd assume is about the same as the Stockton. They also sell Motion Pro brand which is a higher end supplier.

Good luck!

Registered
1998 750 ACE
My "Primitive Pete method" is the sidegrinder ;)
I ain`t bought no breaker,
Dennis

I`ve used masterlink which can be taken apart on most, BUT ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts