Honda Shadow Forums banner

Changed my tires

2K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  "Captain D" 
#1 ·
I changed my tires on my vlx yesterday. It's not as easy as the you tube videos make it look. All totaled about 6 hours and 1 pinched tube. Breaking the tire bead from the rim was the hardest part. Never again will I buy Dunlops. I put Pirelli mt66's on and what a difference.

#2 ·
It's amazing what a new set of tires can do for a vehicle. Congrats on the new skins. I'm sure you'll love 'em.

Also, don't totally condemn the ol' Dunlops. Remember, they're old and worn (safe to assume since you were changing them out) and most likely, they were much harder than the new ones you were putting on the rims.

Doing the swap by yourself can be trying, but having someone else does simplify the process. Now, if you need to ever do it again, you'll be much more experienced and it will go easier. Trust me.

Now, enjoy those new tires!

#3 ·
Yes, I agree with the first time attempting this maintenance item is going to be the most difficult...
Having no experience with tire changing is the main handicap...
I started changing tires on my bicycle and learned early about the tube piching...
I still pinch one now & then but less frequently...
Enjoy the new tires...
Yes my old tires feel much worse than new ones...

Lets RIDE (on new shoes)

EDIT=? >
You do have the proper tools?

#7 ·
buy a large C-clamp... it'll make breaking the beads much easier!

I've always reached in and made sure I wasnt going to hit the tube with a tire spoon, cuts down on that a lot. But on a 90 wide dual purpose tire it's nearly impossible! I did one of those recently for my little brother.

#10 ·
I put Pirelli mt66's on and what a difference.
Just had my Pirelli MT 66's mounted Friday by the dealer. Yes they're a nice tire and made a big difference on handling, but then the old ones were original stock so 19 yrs old with tire rot setting in and the rear tire at the end of its tread life. I've changed tires and tubes on the KZ900Z1 and had my share of pinched tubes and bloodied knuckles ;)

#11 ·
I figure my hourly wage times x dollars an hour = pay someone else to do it...
I have no problem flipping a crisp $100 to a buddy of mine who knows what he
is doing to get it done in an hour - he likes it, I like it, and the job is done right.

#12 ·
Been riding again since last august, bought my first bike tire last month, the rear. The dealer inflated it to 40 psi. On my first turn at 30 mph, the bike fell into a lean so quick it surprised me. Nothing like new tires to improve your ride.

#15 ·
What are tubes BTW? :D First on the list buying a bike, alloy rims! No spoke cleaning and can be fixed on the road if not to badly "holed".

$70 for my rear Valk tire change is money well spent. 1st. time had a defective valve stem and my shop redone it for free w/o any problems and was totally gracious in backing up their service. MC Superstore isn't n ecessarily the cheapest as most here can testify from their own experiences.

#17 ·
Just "spooned" the front tire yesterday on to Big Dogs` rim...
Each time I break a bead, and kneel down, I tell myself "I`m getting too old for this"...
BUT I am a glutton for punishment...

QUOTE > I have no problem flipping a crisp $100 to a buddy of mine <

Big Dog always treats me right when he picks up his Bike, I wish others were as generous....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.