Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I tried to assess this tube and possible fluid from service manual but scrolling the PDF without a search feature is time consuming.

Last night, I pulled off the existing exhaust and installed a replacement exhaust. Things were most frustrating and tight at the Rear header Left Joint Nut as the heat shield was in the way. I did remove the bolts holding the heat shield to slide it around as we dealt with loosening/installing the Rear exhaust.
There also was this tube (shown in pic) that was needing to be pushed around some during this process.

We buttoned it all back up, which again required this tube to be put back in place or the heat shield would not sit flush to the bolt mounts.

I took it for a quick ride around the block, focus was on exhaust, put back in garage for the night.

This morning, I noticed some fluid pooling right here (shown in pic). Appeared greenish (coolant???)

So, I am certain our messing with exhausts/heat shield and tubes in this area may have done something to cause this fluid but what do I know.

So, what is this fluid?
What is this tybe for?
What other tubes are behind that heat shield?
If nothing I did is the result off this fluid, then what could it be?
Automotive parking light Tire Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Hood

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Automotive lighting

A better picture of the fluid

·
Registered
Shadow VT700c 1986, ST1300 08
492 Posts
Looks like coolant liquid.
If you didn't undo the hose and the fluid appeared after you did the repair it could be that the hose got brittle and cracked when you were moving it around. which leads to think that the hose is part of the cooling circuit.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I agree, coolant. But how and why?

I do think that there is a tube with coolant in it that may be sitting behind or is THE Tube I show. I am hoping others chime in.

This "tube" is not marked in the manual unless I am not looking in right place. According to Section 1-30 in Service Manual.

We had to push on that heat shield to make room for socket onto that Left most joint nut. I wonder if pushing inward on that either cracked a brittle tube or created a suction onto the coolant tube that caused a bit of push out on my little ride and its just a one thing issue??? I have no clue really.

Map Slope Font Line Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
The radiator coolant reservoir is back there on the 1100's, probably the siphon tube between the reservoir and the filler neck under the front of the tank.

Reactions: kezug

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The radiator coolant reservoir is back there on the 1100's, probably the siphon tube between the reservoir and the filler neck under the front of the tank.
Do you know how to remove the heat shield? I am thinking once removed, I can assess the area better.
I know there are 2 bolts on the left side, but what all has to be removed to completely pull it off the bike?
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Bumper

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
17,287 Posts
Tug on that tube to see if it goes to the radiator overflow tank.
If it does leave that shield alone and run a new tube back there down to the tank.
It doesn't have any pressure just needs to flow coolant in and out of the radiator and tank.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually, as I look closer, it is NOT marked and is NOT the Siphon Tube I incorrectly thought. I think this tube goes to Coolant reservoir.

I will make sure the connection is tight, as someone prior has messed with it with zip ties and band clamp.

I think it must have pushed out when we were pushing back on the cover plate by it. I will also try and tuck it in nicer. Really hard to tell how it should be, not a lot of room there!

Map Slope Font Line Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I believe all it was, was that the coolant tube that I show above was to far disconnected at the coupler. I closed up the gap and tightened that band clamp. I also noticed that the coupler was a straight smaller/tube and not stock.

However, there is no longer any leak!

This video also helped me understand the tubes and how it was connected to the coolant reservoir.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went for a 90 mile ride last night. No leak. I believe my messing with that area as I installed the exhaust caused it to loosen up a bit. After pushing the tubes onto the coupler more and tightening the zip ties/clamps, everything is bone dry.

Learning so much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts