Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Honda 1100 Shadow ACE Tourer
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am looking to upgrade my front brakes to something more and wondering what everyone has done. It doesn't have enough braking power and I find them sluggish at best.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,130 Posts
It's been my experience that there is nothing more effective then the OEM front brakes. If you're having problems you need to look at the master cylinder, the pads, the fluid and the calipers. The original brakes should be able to stop the bike on a dime.

Reactions: eggabeewa

·
Registered
1998 Honda 1100 Shadow ACE Tourer
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ramie,

I am hoping to change out the brake system to something else entirely. The single disc isn't doing it for me. I have looked over everything else and changed them out but I think the issue is the fact it is a single disc.

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,585 Posts
I know you tried everything, but did you try these?
https://fortnine.ca/en/ebc-double-h-sintered-brake-pads they made a big difference for my modded 750, with a firm grip it will unlatch the back wheel from the pavement on a panic stop, no stoppies though unless an inch counts.

I don't know, but this is what I think:
I think you are going to have to do a front end swap with another bike complete with wheel, easiest I think would be something with the same fork diameter (41 mm?) to retain the stock triple tree and most of the controls. Looking for the right length will save the hassle of having new tubes made to preserve the geometry. You may or may not lose your speedometer drive, there is always GPS as a possibility and the fender will probably require a rework. With the stock fork spread with the stock tree I would expect most double disk wheels would slide in there with appropriate spacers.

It is probably going to take some finding and hands-on measuring at a friendly used motorcycle shop or the recyclers.

This might help narrow things down:

And oh yes when it comes to Harley-Davidson fork sizing, I think one day @Froth mentioned they are not what they seem, made to the closest imperial size hole and do not interchange with real metric sizing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's been my experience that there is nothing more effective then the OEM front brakes. If you're having problems you need to look at the master cylinder, the pads, the fluid and the calipers. The original brakes should be able to stop the bike on a dime.
Be sure to check the pads and rotor for contamination especially spilled fork oil. Even if the rotor appears clean or has been cleaned there could be oil soaked into the pads.

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
1,112 Posts
And oh yes when it comes to Harley-Davidson fork sizing, I think one day @Froth mentioned they are not what they seem, made to the closest imperial size hole and do not interchange with real metric sizing.
Yeah, HD lies on their 41mm forks... they’re actually a true 1.625” or 41.275mm. You could potentially hone the factory Honda trees out to that diameter and figure out Harley lowers, a front wheel and brake/tree widths but that seems like a hassle. Harley parts are cheap though!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts