Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I've screwed up. I tried to change out the headlight bulb on my own (haven't bought the new one yet). Was going to take out the old one, take it up to the Auto Zone and get a new, "brighter", Silverstar H-4 to replace the stock bulb.

We (my husband mostly) unscrewed the screw closest to the outside bulb area, and apparently that was not the right thing to do-- it had a spring on it and we can't get it back in the way it was, plus that doesn't look like it's the way to get to the light bulb. AAAAHHHH !!

Any suggestions?? The dealer isn't open on Mondays and even though my husband says it is fine (one screw still in), I'll have to wait til Tuesday to have someone look at it and advise (and charge an arm and a leg). I looked at the service manual on the honda website and couldn't find any diagrams of the headlight system.

Help!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Denisep!
I belived that you have unscrewed the "head light adjustmnet" screws. I don't know which one you did but If you stand in front of the bike and look at the head light, the screw on the right is to adjust the "vertical", the screw on the left is to adjust the "horizontal" for the beam of the light.
The screw for the headlight is located on the "headlight housing" (the bucket #88 )
For now, don't worry about the adjustment screw, after you get the new bulb, you will have to adjust the beam anyway since it's a different type of bulb.
In case you're still not sure, i scan some of the pics for you. Sorry the pic didn't come out nice but i was on the rush. if you have any more question, let me know...good luck

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sounds like a great excuse for buying a sevice manual (Clymers or Honda). It will pay for itself many times over, if you want to do any repair work yourself.
Peace,

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you are a member of the Honda Riders Club of America you can access an online copy of your service manual (required Internet Explorer - Mozilla Firefox won't work). I don't know how this compares to the Clymers manual or the Honda paper one either. But - I refer to this thing often.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts