Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I just got this 03 ACE a month or so back. I ordered some NKG plugs and found they are not the typical 5/8th socket. So I measure it and go to the auto parts store and get a metric 18 which fits the bolt perfect. However it turns out the rubber is too big for the plug.

Seriously?

Does anyone have a part number or link for a socket that is metric 18 with a 5/8" rubber inside? Uggg

·
Registered
486 Posts
What I do is use a piece of rubber tubing and jam the plug insulator into it and use THAT to thread the plug in the hole and then pull it off and tighten to proper torque with a plug socket. By doing this you won't have any chance at cross threading the plug becaue it will slip on the tubing before it damages the threads. Sometimes you can remove the rubber from the plug socket and whittle it down but the tubing method works pretty well. You can also loosen the plug with the socket and then remove it from the plug well with the tubing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I do is use a piece of rubber tubing and jam the plug insulator into it and use THAT to thread the plug in the hole and then pull it off and tighten to proper torque with a plug socket. By doing this you won't have any chance at cross threading the plug becaue it will slip on the tubing before it damages the threads. Sometimes you can remove the rubber from the plug socket and whittle it down but the tubing method works pretty well. You can also loosen the plug with the socket and then remove it from the plug well with the tubing.
MMmm I like this idea thanks! The plugs in there now are E3 plugs I don't know when the last time they were changed from the original owner. Those come out JUST fine lol

Thanks again for the tip!!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
You can torque them but it is a very low value. I just barely snug them down to hard seated but no extra pull/ As the motor heats up, everything expands and tightens. People sometimes think if a little torque is good, then a lot of torque is better but with aluminum heads the risk of stripping by the overly enthusiastic is always there.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I have always hand tightened the plugs then an extra 1/2 turn with the socket. Be sure to add a bead of anti seize to the threads. It makes a big difference the next time you take them out.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Glad to see the comment about Antiseize. With aluminum heads, it's a must. And don't use a torque wrench; no need. Just tighten enough so that they are a little beyond hand tightening. When you go to take 'em out, you will be glad you did.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
The washers on the plugs are "Crush Washers" tighten the plug until it seats then a slight turn more to crush the washer thats it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is the correct spark plug socket in the tool kit that came with your bike.
I'm the 3rd owner of the bike. That kit has long since been lost. The cavity is empty of anything that was once there.

·
Registered
302 Posts
You can get anti seize (brand name Nevr Seize) at most any parts place. With the plugs snugged up, and the wires pressed on securely, it's pretty unlikely you'll ever lose a plug while riding. I think the deal on the plug blowing out while riding was due to a stripped plug hole.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
have to google what anti seize was im just a bit concerned since i have read an incident here or someone posted about one of their spark plugs launching out of the motorcycle while riding on the freeway.
You can pick up the anti seize at any auto parts store. They can lead you right to it. The spark plugs launching out of the motorcycle was most likely caused by the threads being stripped due to over tightening.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Hmmmmm. I am the 7th owner of my T and complete kit is still there and the bike has been kept pristine. Guess some owners just don't care enough.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Is the socket metal thick enough to grid down the outside some? I read an old post where someone was having the same problem and this was his solution.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
Nope. This doesn't work. It's too large to fit inside the back right cylinder where the plug goes. It fits down about half an inch then gets stuck.

Just going to buy new E3s which are already in it. Now that I'm out about 40 dollars in crap lol... off to the sell section!!!
Well, you can always order one from mrcycles.com or got to your local Honda MC dealer and order one. Here is the part info:

05 WRENCH, PLUG (16.5)
89216-MBA-000 001 $9.87 $8.58
Honda Kawasaki Polaris Suzuki Yamaha Motorcycles ATVS Scooters Utility Vehicles

I have used the Motion Pro on my old ACE 750 and had no problems; I have two of the stock Honda plug wrenches (keep one in the tool kit and one in the tool box).

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
have to google what anti seize was im just a bit concerned since i have read an incident here or someone posted about one of their spark plugs launching out of the motorcycle while riding on the freeway.
This is what happens when you OVER tighten spark plugs.

Anti seize keeps the steel of the sparkplug and other bolts from attemping to weld themselves to the aluminum parts of the bike.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts