Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Darn right they do.

Kinda screws with the cow, though.

I mean, really. Does a leather jacket keep you warmer?

·
Registered
88 Posts
They do indeed help, but only to a point. I have a 30 min daily ride, in temps between 40'ish and 60, they do fine. Keeping the wind out of the jeans helps. But for me, under 40 or so, they only help for so long before the cold creeps in. Adding another layer helps.

·
Registered
2017 Indian Roadmaster
983 Posts
They help, but you will still get cold where there is no leather. If you are going to buy chaps, I would recommend the Deep Pocket chaps, as they have pockets.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I have found the chaps are really nice in the summer.

Have ridden several days this summer with temps in excess of 105°.

The days I wore the chaps were much better days. Who woulda thunked it ? They protect your legs from the intense heat coming from the motor and exhaust. I really would have thought the black leather would have been a real heat magnet and made the chaps almost unbearable to wear.

My legs are actually cooler with the chaps because the are shielded from heat.

They days I went without the chaps were just plain no fun. Inside of my legs just burned the whole time. They also stopped the direct sunlight heat from the top of my thighs.

I also find the chaps are good down to say 47° or so and up for cool weather riding ....

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
No chaps for me. I prefer Carhart insulated pants.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I just bought my first pair of chaps about a week ago. Wasn't sure if I would like them or not, but I must say so far I am pleased. I thought they would be way too hot in the 100+ heat, but they aren't. I plan to do long-johns under my jeans in the winter. If I am still cold then I'll figure something else out.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I just bought my first pair of chaps about a week ago. Wasn't sure if I would like them or not, but I must say so far I am pleased. I thought they would be way too hot in the 100+ heat, but they aren't. I plan to do long-johns under my jeans in the winter. If I am still cold then I'll figure something else out.
your plan is good. get yourself a pair of flannel lined jeans also and maybe some compression type long underwear and you should be comfortable. works for me down to about 30º F.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Gore-Tex.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Leather chaps keep the wind off of your legs but in colder weather, you will need warmer pants under the chaps.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Haven't tried chaps yet because I chose to go with an insulated pair of overpants I bought blemished off Ebay for $50 instead.

They are Firstgear cold weather overpants. Zip out lining, waterproof outside layer etc.

Wore them from around 30 degrees and up. Worked absolutely great for my 30 minute commutes to and from work last year. When it gets a little warmer, say above 45 degrees, you can take out the inner liner and just wear the outside wind/rain proof layer. I like the flexibility.

I know you asked specifically about chaps, but these may be a viable option for you.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
I think chaps are well worth having, mine are the lined ones and that I recommend, as mentioned they definetly keep the heat off the legs in hot weather, cold weather I wear thermals under the jeans and that works just great, one thing I will say is that if you are riding and get a couple inches of hail between the legs chaps won't help and your jewels will be damn cold.............:shock::wink: Don't worry to much about the length when you buy as you can cut them down real easy, just make sure they cover down to your heels when sitting on the motorcycle or sitting down, keeps the cold air from going up your legs...............

·
Registered
617 Posts
I can see the benefits of warmth...but I worry about ending up in an accident and sliding across the pavement on my back side...there isn't anything there for protection.

·
Registered
50 Posts
When you need 'em, they're great

When I hit a sudden hailstorm 100 miles east of Denver, with NO overpasses, bridges or anything else for shelter, I was sure glad I had the chaps on! I wish they still fit me--they were custom-made bar chaps, great quality, with the zippers on the outside. Not cheap, but worth it to me.

I'm shopping for another pair now. Have an overnight trip coming up in late October, and would like not to freeze--especially since the Shadow doesn't have the amount of protection I had on the Gold Wing.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.