Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of having a family friend make a set of chaps for me. My question is has anyone else ever made there own set of chaps? I have been looking for a pattern to make a set but have not been able to come up with anything. If someone out there has some free time and could take some good photos of their chaps or even some measurements I would greatly appreciate the help.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Patterns for chaps are available from Tandy Leather, for about $8. Note that these are for riding horses, so not specifically motorcycle riding. Chaps should not be difficult to make.

If I were to make my own pair I would consider adding zippered liners, so when it was hot out I could zip them off. Also ensure that the zipper or snaps on the sides are also covered from the wind.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
nope. never wear 'em. don't have a pair.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
The differences between a horse and motorcycle are few.

Your bike doesn't care which side you mount from, and the reins are different.

Beyond that the pattern should be fine.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
You can probably buy a pair almost a cheap as making some, by the time you add a liner (which I think is a good thing) snaps and belt. I bought my lined pair for $79.00 + tax............If you do get them made, just make sure you get nice soft leather as it will be a whole lot more comfortable.........

·
Registered
75 Posts
bike vs. horse

The differences between a horse and motorcycle are few.

Your bike doesn't care which side you mount from, and the reins are different.

Beyond that the pattern should be fine.

Oddly enough, I still always mount my bike from the left side... :)

But, so far the bike has never tried to kick or bite me!

·
Registered
839 Posts
You can probably buy a pair almost a cheap as making some, by the time you add a liner (which I think is a good thing) snaps and belt. I bought my lined pair for $79.00 + tax............If you do get them made, just make sure you get nice soft leather as it will be a whole lot more comfortable.........
I agree. Unless you just happen to have big chunks of tanned leather just laying around, it's going to be more cost effective to just buy a pair. LeatherUp has several pair for under $70. I bought a lined pair from them and am happy with them.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I had a friend that was a big hunter and used the opposite sides of a deerskin and rope to make his. Gotta admit, he afforded a lot of room when riding. Not too many cars wanted to be near whoever would skin an animal, strap it to himself, then go for a ride.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I had a friend that was a big hunter and used the opposite sides of a deerskin and rope to make his. Gotta admit, he afforded a lot of room when riding. Not too many cars wanted to be near whoever would skin an animal, strap it to himself, then go for a ride.
LOL! A good friend of mine that i ride with is like that. Nickname's Bear.

He wears hair-in hide and even has a coyote head and partial pelt on his front fender. Put some red LEDs in it's eyes so it glows at night. What a riot! Looks like a true 'mountain man' on a steel horse. :-D

·
Registered
839 Posts
Heheh, well, not quite. Neither he nor his bike is that pretty looking.

·
Registered
17,135 Posts
Swap Meet SPECIAL Lined Chaps $49.00...
Decent material even if they are made in Pakistan...
I Wear them when I ride, one fellow Monday said "It`s too hot fer them today" I came back with, "Better`n Road rash"...
I`ve made some fer wet weather riding outta a vinyl ripstop awning material...
Dennis
Sturgis 2011
I`ll wear the chaps then too...

·
Registered
103 Posts
sorry and please don't stone me!

if you are from europe, chaps look so gay!
chaps were never part of our history, like it was in the us to protect cowboys on horses!

we wear leather pants or nowadays textile pants with ec protectors in them.

for riding in the us, i have tourmaster textile pants for spring/fall riding, tourmaster pants with quilted liners for winter riding (together with isolating ski-underwear) and joe rocket mesh pants for summer riding - together with compressing heat underwear.

they even survived my crash on route 66 last month together with my tourmaster sonora hi viz jacket, nolan 103 n com helmet, alpine stars sm-x boots and alpine stars gloves
all my gear was like new after the crash, that totaled my bike (mostly cosmetically) and left me with some broken ribs and some lacerated parts in my right shoulder (still hurts and vicodine takes care of that).
after 3 hours of working on my bike, i could finish the last 3,000 miles of my 12,200 miles trip

whatever!
wear what you want and what you like - whatever it looks like, as long it protects you in case of a crash.

ride safe
harry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts