Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow Riders,

I bought a brand new battery and have to fill the electrolyte. What i am concerned about is charging it. Can it be charged with Battery Tender (Trickle Charger)?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
When I buy a new lead acid battery I fill the electrolyte up to the marked level and connect a 4amp charger to it before fitting the covers or caps, then I charge it all day or overnight..the charger I use automatically cuts down to a trikle charge when the battery is fully charged.. then I disconnect the charger, check the electrolyte level on each cell, fit the cover or caps and measure the voltage.. A lot of people will say you should use this or that particular type of charger but the lead acid battery that you fill with liquid before you first charge it has been around since selenium plate rectifiers and will not be harmed whatever charger you use.

John.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Wow, that's not very nice..

My handle translates to anything from 'good looking twin brother of famous Welsh film star' to 'Relative of man who made his living burning women and girls at the stake because they didn't worship at his church' and lot's in between..

John.

·
Registered
17,972 Posts
Yes, I`ve used a tender for charging new battery on my bike...
I have more than one charger, I just checked the box for the charger I hooked up to the 8Ns batteries, it`s a Manual charger...
Requires monitoring, it reads,
D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well this was a learning experience. I had to fill each cell manually with a single canister. It was a pain as I could not see how much was filled.
It was a stupid Napa motorcross. I just hope I start my bike and take it home. It is currently in my office garage.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
A piece of brake bleeding hose is ideal for filling a new battery, you simply put the hose in the liquid then block the other end with your finger, as you lift the hose it will retain the liquid until you unblock the end with your finger.

To see the level you should be able to shine a light through the thin wall of the battery, there is a level mark which is usually 1/4 inch above the top of the plates.

John.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Fellow Riders,

I bought a brand new battery and have to fill the electrolyte. What i am concerned about is charging it. Can it be charged with Battery Tender (Trickle Charger)?

Thanks
I know I'm going to get flack about my reply, but this is what I recommend from over 40 yrs experience of bike ownership and more with automotive new batteries. Use an automatic battery charger with a variable battery size option setting such as the Schumacher line. New lead cell batteries need an initial full charge before installing no matter what is advertised. Trickle chargers or battery tenders just don't do the job on a new or weak battery. They're fine for keeping functional charged batteries up to snuff during storage. That's why they're called tenders and and not chargers.

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
Huh? Chargers I use shut off when fully charged.
Thanks for clarifying
that translation. I mistakenly thought it meant "rude, pompous, reactive, condescending and shallow".

...even ask someone who's handle translates as:

"presumptuously, self-assertively, arrogantly
bloated, swollen, inflated, puffy; bumptious, pushy, self-assertive "

·
Registered
354 Posts
I know I'm going to get flack about my reply, but this is what I recommend from over 40 yrs experience of bike ownership and more with automotive new batteries. Use an automatic battery charger with a variable battery size option setting such as the Schumacher line. New lead cell batteries need an initial full charge before installing no matter what is advertised. Trickle chargers or battery tenders just don't do the job on a new or weak battery. They're fine for keeping functional charged batteries up to snuff during storage. That's why they're called tenders and and not chargers.
I wanted to give you a bunch of flack but I can't because you're right. Those little electrons are all bunched up like frightened cattle in a pen and they need a forceful prod to get moving back to the other side where you want them. They ignore the gentle nudge of the trickle current. Electrons can be so moody.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
I wanted to give you a bunch of flack but I can't because you're right. Those little electrons are all bunched up like frightened cattle in a pen and they need a forceful prod to get moving back to the other side where you want them. They ignore the gentle nudge of the trickle current. Electrons can be so moody.
No, actually they don't. They're not smart. They don't know how much amperage they are getting.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I have a maintainer that will generally charge new and weak batteries. The bigger the battery the longer it will take along with where the starting point is on it state of charge. A new car battery may take 48 hours to bring up fully. I did have one dead bike battery that was reading 0.8 volts and had to use a constant current .5 amp charger on it for 24 hours to bring it up enough for the maintainer to actually see there was a battery connected. It fully charged and still starts the bike but I'm sure it's life has been cut in half if not more because it was a dead door knocker.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts