Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Im new here but I need a bit of help.
Quick back round- I build bikes as a side job, motors, frame mods, cafe and chopper, whatever is needed, so I am pretty mechanical and have been doing my own bike work since the 70's. Electrical diagnostics is my one downfall.

On my '98 Shadow Ace 750 I am having a charging problem. I installed a new battery to make sure I had a clean start. The battery was charged at about 13.1v at install. I started it and at idle it was running at 12.6-12.6v.
When i rev up the motor the voltage goes up to about 12.75v so I know something IS charging a little bit.

I am more than willing to buy a new stator or rectifier or both even, but I dont want to buy those and end up at the same point.

Any ideas on where to start to find out what might be bad?

I do not have the full service manual, I know I need to get one soon, but I am looking for input on anyone who has had similar issues and what it turned out to be?

Or where to start the testing?

Even tho Im new here, I am sure you guys are as helpful as I have heard and I appreciate any help. So thanks in advance.

Kelly

·
Registered
18,983 Posts
Any ideas on where to start to find out what might be bad?
I fount a badd rectifier/regulator was my problem through the Electrosport diagnostics in Tech sticky Useful links...

Good Luck,
Dennis
My first Sturgis Run T-minus 27 days...

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Originally Posted by Kmac530

On my '98 Shadow Ace 750 I am having a charging problem. I installed a new battery to make sure I had a clean start.
Oh, wow, somebody actually bothered to mention the year and model of his bike at the onset of a technical thread. And cut to the chase without mentioning the neighbor's cat said meow to him, etc., in regards to the specific bike problem. Just trying to be humorous. At any rate, a new battery is the right way to start off diagnosing an electrical problem being how complicated electrical problems can be. There's been too many previous cases where all possible electrical culprits have been beaten to death only to find that immediately after installing a new battery that the electrical gremlins went away and wallah the problem bike started to run fine once again. That might not be the case here, but a defective battery or even a low battery adds it's own subset of electrical demons into the equation. Buying a new battery isn't a light decision to make since frequently enough you'd burn out the new battery during diagnosis. At least, I have.

I am more than willing to buy a new stator or rectifier or both even, but I dont want to buy those and end up at the same point.
I sent you a PM. If you don't receive an Email notification, left-click on your name in the left sidebar. On the drop down menu that appears, click on the "view public profile" line. On the following page, click on the "Statistic Tab." Then click on "Visitor Messages."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts