Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a close call today.

On my semi-busy route today going home. The car in front of me turns his/her right turn blinker on and goes to make a right turn into a small plaza. I was roughly 1-2 cars spaces behind the car. The car was roughly 3/4 into the turn and I proceed to my route and that when I see the station wagon coming out of the same plaza where the car was going in. The gold VOLVO. He makes no attempt to stop at the stop sign!! He was half way out and that is when he noticed me and he freaks out. Slams on his breaks...Turns right....Runs over and up onto the curve....I slow down quick, I am on his 7-8 o'clock. I check my rear quickly....."CLEAR". He straightens his car up and I get back into my riding mode.....I look up and read "Check twice for motorcycles" on his rear window. I laugh and say a few words to myself.....I take a deep breath and continue my route.....

Not even a wave or any other type of my bad suggester.

Karma will get him...

I am glad all is well and I will continue riding with full awareness!

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts

On my semi-busy route today going home. The car in front of me turns his/her right turn blinker on and goes to make a right turn into a small plaza. I was roughly 1-2 cars spaces behind the car. The car was roughly 3/4 into the turn and I proceed to my route and that when I see the station wagon coming out of the same plaza where the car was going in. The gold VOLVO. He makes no attempt to stop at the stop sign!! He was half way out and that is when he noticed me and he freaks out. Slams on his breaks...Turns right....Runs over and up onto the curve....I slow down quick, I am on his 7-8 o'clock. I check my rear quickly....."CLEAR". He straightens his car up and I get back into my riding mode.....I look up and read "Check twice for motorcycles" on his rear window. I laugh and say a few words to myself.....I take a deep breath and continue my route.....

Karma will get him...

Keep riding defensively and never ASSUME! I had somewhat of the same experience 2 weeks ago with a senior female driver who entered an intersection with her left turn signal on and at the last moment decided she was going straight through and not turning. My route would have taken me and the bike across her vehicles path but I anticipated the "what if" to stay out of harms way. ;)

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,106 Posts
Couldda been someone who Rides...
Aren`t you GLAD he DID take that "Second look"??

I am...

We as riders drive better`n those who don`t because we KNOW we are invisible in traffic and WE DO LOOK TWICE!!!

ABATE of Forida has a good Motorcycle Awareness program, I suggest you get involved...

There`s a meeting in Sebring I`d love to be at this weekend and be involved in ABATE of Floridas` efforts...
Lets RIDE
&
LOOK TWICE FOR MOTORCYCLES

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It won't be the last close call. BUT, I will always ride with a 360 view and know every drive is not looking twice.....Ride safe!!

Captain D. I am trying to get with the central Florida ABATE here off of Goldenrod Rd. Third Sunday of the month.

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,106 Posts
Hopefully we`ll meet you at the Avon Park Rally in October(?)...

I`m headed south to get John Hopkins Book from Raider Bill today :D

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,106 Posts
Well ??? Never mind that last sentence, I just got a message from him concerning his NEW plan with you??

Oh well,
Denis

·
Registered
725 Posts
Around here cars always have the right away over a motorcycle. Don't expect a car to stop at a stop sign or yield the right of way. They will look right at you and still pull out and try and cut you off. They have a hard enough time talking on their cell phone, drinking their Starbucks, and playing with their radio, to worry about hitting 2 wheeled vehicles. They are less likely of the two to be hurt in a collision.

·
Registered
12 Posts
thats how i ended up on the shadow forum , i was on my kz650 sr when a lady turned left in front of me . couldnt avoid her bike is totaled and 3 weeks healing time later i bought my shadow

·
Registered
11,244 Posts

Karma will get him...
Bet you would have seen that car through the glass of the car in front of you if you had been looking. Then this would have been a non issue. Happens a lot. "Full awareness" is more than what you think it is....if you look for the car that might pull out in front of you, you will see it.

Great learning opportunity here.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,336 Posts
Another thought too. I have extra driving lights down on my highway bars that are bright and get attention. Maybe it has been helping me stay safe.
But when in my car a few days ago a bike was coming toward me and I was looking at him and saw he had dim running lights on the front, maybe blacked out lenses, but I didn't see that the left turn signal was going. Maybe because they were blacked out or aftermarket lights that didn't shut off the running light as it blinked the turn signal. Anyway there was plenty of room and he turned left in front of me, and it surprised me, because like I said I didn't see the turn light flashing until he was closer and then it was dimly visable.
So the better your lights can be seen may save your life.

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,106 Posts
After I read stuff here, I think on it for quite a spell...
This thread has been in my mind too...
I paid attention to my habit of "check twice for motorcycles" as I returned the grand children, whilst on our 160 miles round trip yesterday...
I found that before I pull into an intersection I check at least twice, and then again!!!

A good habit!!
I wish everybody rode motorcycles, as they would be more conscience of our presence in traffic and on the road...

I agree with the mention of customizing my Bike for better visibility too!
I make mention to Ann whenever I see tail light modifications which hamper visibility...
Smoked lens, SMALLER lights, covers over the lens, moving the tail light lower and to one side and such, to mention a few...

It is cool to "cussed `em Ize"... BUT??
Do it correctly!!

I spent time adding visible "attention getters" yesterday in preparation for an interstate 75 south trip to get "the book"... Canceled by change of plans...
Adding a florescent Green cozy to flap in the wind at the back of the Bike, an American Flag to the saddlebag are helpful Attention grabbers I used...
I`ll remove these today after my ride to church, as I will not be interstate traveling today or in the near future...
I`ve not been runned over yet using this method when traveling...
Lets RIDE

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.