Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would really like to take the bike out but I see some REALLY DARK clouds all around me. If I get caught in the rain it's one thing but I don't care to search it out and definitely try to avoid it. I'll admit it. I'm a chicken.

I heard someone once say that there are two types of riders when it comes to rain...chickens and ducks.

Chickens will do whatever they can to avoid the rain and ducks will ride whether it's rain or shine.

What are you? A chicken or a duck?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I'm neither. As long as I'm not going somewhere important (ie work) I don't mind riding in the rain. Sometimes I actually enjoy it. Once you get used to it, it's no big deal at all.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
As long as it's not pouring on the way to work, I don't care if it rains or not. :)

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Chicken if it's raining on my way to work. Duck anyother time.

I always stay dry in my suite but ther's always that one time that I'll be wet all day at work. Not cool when I have to wear nice clothes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Chicken going to work, Duck coming home.

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
Well considering I have not ridden in the rain yet...I am a chicken! I know I will ride in the rain eventually, but I have no plans on starting just for the fun of it.
S I guess that makes me...
Ckicken Coop?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I'm a chicken all the way. I absolutely hate riding in the rain. It is not typically a problem where I live, but about one or twice a year I have to ride home from work in it. I do not enjoy those rides.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
I'm a chicken, riding is like fishing, love to fish also....but....if it's not raining when I start out and does rain, ok, I'm a duck for the day, I'll continue as I always carry the gear either on the bike or in the boat, now if I know it is raining or going to rain and I'm at home, well, the chicken will stay loose in the house.............

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I don't mind riding in the rain.

That being said, I live in Northwest Oregon so I either have to not mind riding in the rain or only ride 2 months out of the year. I put 30k on my ACE since I bought it in May of '08, and the only way to possibly do that is to ride in the rain a good percentage of the time. I found that a good set of rain gear and a relaxed attitude goes a long way when it's precipitating, and if you keep out of the spray on the highway it's not too bad. Avoid riding the first 10 minutes of rain after a long dry spell to allow the oil to be washed away and you should be all good if you practice extra care. Good tires are a must. I use Tent waterproofing spray on my leather gloves to keep my hands dry, but if I ride through the winter again this year I'll get a pair of Hippo Hands.

~Mark

·
Registered
248 Posts
If you would of asked this a week ago i would of said chicken....but since my first ride in a thunderstorm yesterday...i didn't mind....So I'd say now I'm a duck. Rain or shine I wanna ride.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
There is no joy for me riding in the rain. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

If I am caught in it while riding, so be it.

If I can avoid riding in it, I will.

Color me: F*ck riding in the rain.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Had my days riding in the rain, soaked to the skin and freezing my butt off, no fun at all, well not for me..!!!.
These days if there's a dark cloud in the sky, the bikes parked and I'm in the car dry and warm...

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
The rain isn't so bad but the thing that bugs me is the way it has a tendancy to bring up the oil and make riding "adventurous" when it first begins. That's about the only time I'll accept hitting a 4 lane instead of a back road for that very reason. So...Rooster??

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Since I sold my truck we only have 1 car plus my bike, so I get to ride no matter what! Luckily I work close to home, so if it is really coming down my wife will wake up early and run me to work, but if it's clear in the morning, I am on my bike. People think I'm crazy for riding to work knowing that it will be raining on my way home, I just remind them that I am crazy and they should probably watch out!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
As long as I have a change of clothes and my boots on, I'm a duck. Otherwise, chicken it up. The air conditioners in any building I walk in will get me sick in a heart beat :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts