Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5 year old daughter wants to go on a ride with me but I am having a hard time finding childrens motorcycle helmets, anyone have any good insight on where to get one?

· Registered
336 Posts
Try looking at off-road helmets. They make a lot of those for kids. In my experience, youth helmets for street bikes are hard to find. It took me a while, but I finally found one for my son at the Harley dealership.

· Registered
204 Posts
Child's helmet

I just bought a helmet for my daughter (12). She would putt around on the back with me but she can't wait to get on the main road. I bought her a L/XL Youth from HJC (CS-Y Session.) Fits her perfectly and matches her Lotus Joe Rocket jacket. Here is a size chart by HJC; maybe this will help you to know what to look for:

http://www.hjchelmets.com/sizing_chart.htm

· Registered
884 Posts
Morris (I'm just guessing your name isn't AK if your from AK!),

I'm very interested in getting a helmet for my daughter, but I have a couple of reservations about it.

First, I want my daughter to be able to reach the floorboards while sitting with her back against the backrest. She has to "fit" the bike before I'll let her ride anywhere other than around the block - & I mean actually around the block, not two blocks & definitely no further.

Second, when purchasing a helmet, I would never trust that anything mail ordered is going to fit properly straight out of the box. I would sooner believe that I'd have to try it on her, then send it back & ask for something smaller/bigger, depending on what they have & what I've ordered.

Those are my major reservations. And, you're in a bit of a crunch, time wise. I expect that your riding season up in Alaska isn't nearly as lengthy as our riding season is down here in the "relative tropics" of South Texas. So, you may want to start placing orders now so that you can have a fitting helmet for the two days when everything is thawed out up there! :lol:

Next-to-last, the Master Strategy Group has some great tips on riding in general, but also specifically about having a passenger. Even a seasoned rider such as myself reads thru those articles on occasion. For having a passenger on the back, especially read Tip #4, but make sure you at least scroll thru the list to see if there's anything else you like.

Finally, good luck & let us know which helmet you get for your 5 year old. Mine has at least one more year before she's able to reach the floorboards (if I don't lower them :wink: )!

· Registered
526 Posts
I have had nothing but luck from helmetcity size wise. Be honest and read the tape like they tell you and it will fit.

If you kid cant reach the pegs, not only is it unsafe, it is illegal here at least. If she cant stick the seat, she needs to grow.

All of mine are long enough. The 6 year old is plenty tall to reach the pegs. She fidgits though. Mattilla the Son (8) is the best of the bunch, until he gets bored, you dont know hes there. The big daughter tries to hard.

Each kid will be different so take it easy. I wont run over 40 with the youngest, the boy I would be willing to take on a trip and the big one also, after another lecture about SIT STAY :lol:

· Registered
24 Posts
We purchased a HJC xxs and it works fine. We also found a nearby Yamaha dealer who was willing to order a helmet and let us try it on for size without having to purhcase if it did not fit. Good luck

· Registered
310 Posts
helmet

Most dealerships carry a full range of helmets for kids. They provide gear for Pee Wee motocross riders and will solve your problem. A preschooler on the back of your bike is never a good idea. Make sure it isn't your ego that is driving the decision. Under normal circumstances they might be okay, under unusual conditions you invite tragedy.

· Registered
47 Posts
My son actually wears a helmet I bought him for Snowmobiling (dot approved of course). Full face, sealed almost completely from debrie and wind, and fits him great. Biggest issues is on hot days he gets a little warmer.

· Registered
884 Posts
AKMorris said:
I am not talking long rides or anything with her, just a short ride around the block, just getting her used to the idea.
We have done this with our 5 year old daughter. We have had her wrap her hands around my belt & hold on. We don't do it very often, but just once or twice in the past year, so she could get a teaser taste. We did NOT buy a helmet for her, or even put one on her. In fact, for that exercise, I rode without my helmet. But, it was around the one city block that is our street within this residential area. We know everyone that lives in every house on all 4 streets, and there's no crazies that speed up & down the road (tho it could happen). The very first time we did it, April got on back & we squeezed Emily between us. We KNOW it's not and adviseable exercise. But, we felt it was such a quiet neighborhood that there was virtually no risk, and the reward was her appreciation for having the wind in her face. The 2nd & 3rd time that we've done it, it was just Emily & me, and still only going around the block. Again, no helmets for either of us. I had multiple reasons for not wearing my helmet. One was because I didn't want Emily bumping her face into the back of my helmet. Another (& most importantly) was that I wanted to be able to hear Emily talking to me, so that I could adjust my already "nearly as slow as I could go" driving, if need be.

My take on this is the same for anyone. If you're in a quiet neighborhood, & you're doing this at a time when traffic is slower than it normally is on those streets, and you're very mindful of your passenger & what YOU are doing, then the risk of having a helmet-needing-event is extremly miniscule. I'd say it's not worth the money to buy a helmet that won't fit next year. UNLESS you're leading up to a longer ride. What I would do, tho may not fit your needs/style/personality, would be to get her acclimated to being on the bike. Then, when you're planning the big trip, get her the helmet & pants & jacket & boots & gloves. Do it when you'll be using it & not something you're going to save for another day.

And, when you get back from riding her around the block, LET US HEAR how much she enjoyed it!!!

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well guys/gals, thanks for all your help, I ended up finding a motorcycle shop here that I never knew existed..(or my wife was hiding it from me). We got my daughter a youth AFX motorcross helmet size m. We went around the block yesterday and she loved it....No shocks and drag pipes and all. I dropped her off at the house grabbed my gear and she said DAD where are you going? I said for a rid and she said I'M COMING TOO! Well I didn't take her because I was going on the Highway. Anyway thanks for all the help, we tried a couple on and settled for a pink helmet :). All she needs now is a little more "training" and hopefully next year she could go on a little longer ride then just around the block!

By the way she reaches the passenger footpegs now that I lowered my bike 4 inches in the rear :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.