Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1995 VT1100C2 - the choke/enricher isn't working quite right.

Here are the symptoms:

1. Half the choke "lever" movement has no resistance at all
2. When the choke is fully engaged and then let go of it springs right back to the fully disengaged position

I've looked at pictures of how this works and can't see the enricher springs being strong enough to move the cable and "lever" back up like it does.

Is there a typical resolution for this?

I plan to take it apart but would like to order parts ahead of time if this is any kind of known issue.

The bike is a little cold-blooded so it would be nice if the choke would stay engaged a little while it warms up instead of dying when you take off at an intersection.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,428 Posts
Just changed out the choke cable on my son's '94 1100 a couple months ago. About 50.00 for the cable and shipping. Follow your manual and tie a couple strings on the plunger ends of the cable so the new one goes back in the same routing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just changed out the choke cable on my son's '94 1100 a couple months ago. About 50.00 for the cable and shipping. Follow your manual and tie a couple strings on the plunger ends of the cable so the new one goes back in the same routing.
Was his acting the same way regarding the operation before you swapped cables?

Excellent thought on using string when the cables come out to get them back in the same way. I'll do this for sure, thanks.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,455 Posts
My 95 does exactly the same thing and I was going to address the issue but just got used to it. There is an adjustment at the carb end and one at the elbow at the lever. I can look it up if you don't have a manual.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 95 does exactly the same thing and I was going to address the issue but just got used to it. There is an adjustment at the carb end and one at the elbow at the lever. I can look it up if you don't have a manual.
I have a manual but the only adjustment I see is at the elbow at the lever. If you show something else in your manual I'd appreciate seeing it.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,455 Posts
SE Valve nuts at the carb. Take off the boots and the nuts. Check for cable binding. Check the spring. Adjust gap between cable thread and valve to 10mm using lever elbow. Tighten by SE Valve nuts hand and then 1/4 turn.

I found the Carb end nuts were not correctly tightened, probably due to my not installing properly at some point and that caused the elbow adjustment to be incorrect.

I was a bit surprised that small spring could move the choke lever back up but guess its probably helped by carb vacuum pulling on the SE valve.

·
Registered
VT 1100c 1994
219 Posts
I have read that it's not allowed to oil/grease the choke cables, as the choke lever won't stay in place. Or probably somebody modified the choke mechanism and put stronger springs in?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SE Valve nuts at the carb. Take off the boots and the nuts. Check for cable binding. Check the spring. Adjust gap between cable thread and valve to 10mm using lever elbow. Tighten by SE Valve nuts hand and then 1/4 turn.

I found the Carb end nuts were not correctly tightened, probably due to my not installing properly at some point and that caused the elbow adjustment to be incorrect.

I was a bit surprised that small spring could move the choke lever back up but guess its probably helped by carb vacuum pulling on the SE valve.
Thanks, I’ll check it out when I pull that tank.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have read that it's not allowed to oil/grease the choke cables, as the choke lever won't stay in place. Or probably somebody modified the choke mechanism and put stronger springs in?
Hard to say what someone else may have done to it in the past. I’m going to pull it apart soon and check it out. I’ll post my findings.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took this apart over the weekend and still can't see how the choke lever could ever stay engaged without holding it down with my thumb. I pulled the enrichers from the carbs and the springs that keep the enrichers disengaged are what's pushing the choke lever up when you release it.

Is there also something in the hand controls that should be providing some resistance on the choke lever to work against the enricher springs?

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,455 Posts
That spring is not very strong so basically just moves the SE valve back into position when you move the lever to the Off position. I cannot remember any tensioner at the lever end. Check your manual for choke cable routing Otherwise maybe someone has changed the spring but I doubt it. I guess its possible someone lubricated the choke cable. As mentioned my choke lever will gradually close the choke but I like it doing that so maybe just the choke cable aging loses tension.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As mentioned my choke lever will gradually close the choke but I like it doing that so maybe just the choke cable aging loses tension.
^^ This what I needed to see. If you said it before I missed it. I'm not expecting the lever to work in a way that it doesn't (staying down by itself). And thinking of a cable not having enough resistance is not typical thinking for me. I'll look at it again with those thoughts in mind.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,455 Posts
As mentioned post #5 my choke worked perfectly ie stayed where I put it for about 15 years. Then I noticed it started to creep back to partially closed a bit more each year. At about 20 years I needed to push the lever down twice. I was going to address it but concluded the bike does shake a lot at idle and that may be the cause so I left it. Now I push the lever down and hold it till started and then it slowly closes about half way. I hold it for about 10 seconds and then its OK.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts