Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a problem with their choke pull not remaining in the full choke position? On my VT750DC when I pull the choke knob out, it will draw back in at least half way. Spraying the shaft with some lubricant has not solved the problem and it is gettting to be some what annoying. Any thoughts?

· Registered
3,761 Posts
GB6049 said:
Has anyone had a problem with their choke pull not remaining in the full choke position? On my VT750DC when I pull the choke knob out, it will draw back in at least half way. Spraying the shaft with some lubricant has not solved the problem and it is gettting to be some what annoying. Any thoughts?
There may be a rubber cover that is over the choke knob housing.
If there is, fold it back and you'll see a little black ring behind it.
That ring screws down and applies tension to a friction lock that is
around the shaft.

Turn the ring clockwise to tighten it up a little and give the choke cable
resistance.
That will prevent it from sucking back up in after you pull it out.
Be careful, that little ring is a little fragile, so be careful not to get it super tight.
If it breaks, you have to replace the whole choke cable.

· Registered
3,761 Posts
GB6049 said:
There may be a rubber cover that is over the choke knob housing.
If there is, fold it back and you'll see a little black ring behind it.
That ring screws down and applies tension to a friction lock that is
around the shaft.

Turn the ring clockwise to tighten it up a little and give the choke cable
resistance.
That will prevent it from sucking back up in after you pull it out.
Be careful, that little ring is a little fragile, so be careful not to get it super tight.
If it breaks, you have to replace the whole choke cable to replace the ring.
You can't buy and replace the ring separately.
I broke mine a while back and I've been using vice-grips to hold it out :roll:

I'm about to move it up to the handle bars though.... so I can stop using the jerry-rigged vice-grips.

· Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I either need to use the choke or turn up the idle. Once it warms up it idles fine but at startup, unless the choke is out for a few minutes, it dies. Since I ride 8 miles each way to work everyday, I do not want to have a dead battery from having to keeping hitting the starter when it dies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.